PDA

View Full Version : Warrior push start to run only

javahere
03-05-2007, 06:48 AM
This is for a friends warrior, I think its a 2000. It will not start with the electric start and it is turning over fine and has a new starter (have not checked for spark yet), but with a push start it fires up every time and runs fine. Someone told me its the stator but to spend $150+ on a guess is alot of money. Has anyone had or seen this before, or can you test a stator, thanks.....

54warrior
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
There are instructions in the clymer manual for testing the stator. I would post, but my manual is 250 miles away at my parents home. I would start small and check the starter button? You never know, might be simple.

Does it go kaclank kaclank kaclank kaclank while your trying to start it?

I had to put a new starter clutch in my warrior (a '96) this past summer. About $250 worth of parts. Requires removal of the flywheel.

Had similar symptoms. Basically the starter engages with the starter clutch(large gear behind flywheel that has a one-way clutch mechanism) which then turns the motor over. This part was bad on mine and it works fine now. Same symptoms: plenty of spark, battery good, starter good, would push start very easy.

It might also be something as simple as the orange wire that goes onto the coil (beneath nosepiece) coming loose.

Thats about the only info that I have other than if you do replace the stator, I'd get mine from RickyStator

gotwarrior
03-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
[B Does it go kaclank kaclank kaclank kaclank while your trying to start it? [/B]

Mine makes a pretty bad sound when I go to start it.. I dosn't sound good but it starts every time... It also just had a fresh rebuild on the engine and it still makes that noise..:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't know if I should worry about it or not.. Its been doing that since the day I got it.. Or is it just a warrior thing??

54warrior
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
It's just a Warrior thing, but will eventually get very frustrating, because it just won't start. You can rebuild all you want, it won't fix this problem. It's not hard to repair, but I did have to haul my quad in to the Yamaha shop and they pulled my flywheel off while it was in the back of my truck ($30).

Mine did this for probably 3 years b4 it finally got to the point that it just would not start. It would push start perfectly fine though.

gotwarrior
03-05-2007, 09:36 AM
So.. Your telling mean that even though it starts just fine, that loud noise means I need a new stator??

54warrior
03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
54warrior wrote: Does it go kaclank kaclank kaclank kaclank while your trying to start it?

I had to put a new starter clutch in my warrior (a '96) this past summer. About $250 worth of parts. Requires removal of the flywheel.

Had similar symptoms. Basically the starter engages with the starter clutch(large gear behind flywheel that has a one-way clutch mechanism) which then turns the motor over. This part was bad on mine and it works fine now. Same symptoms: plenty of spark, battery good, starter good, would push start very easy.

No, it's not the stator that makes the kaklunk sound its the STARTER CLUTCH.

http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/Yamaha_atv_images/00YFM350XMB7.gif

Parts 6, 7,8, and 9 are what I replaced.

6- $91.50,
7-$2.94,
8-$17.76,
9-$106.99

Pull the stator cover/assembly off, revealing the flywheel. Behind the flywheel is all of this stuff. You'll need a flywheel puller and this then slides right off. Part 9 is what fails, but can also result in missing teeth on the large gear(part 6) that mates with the starter gear (part 1). I replaced part 6 just for peace of mind.

javahere
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
The starter is fine(new) and the bike does turn over fine just will not start or even try to run. Pull it with another bike or push it down a hill and it starts right up. Seems very strange to me, the battery is new and turns over stong. Like I said we need to check if it is getting spark under the electric start method, but it must have spark when pulled because it runs great when does run.....Thanks for the replys and please keep them coming.....

54warrior
03-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by javahere
The starter is fine(new) and the bike does turn over fine just will not start or even try to run. Pull it with another bike or push it down a hill and it starts right up. Seems very strange to me, the battery is new and turns over stong. Like I said we need to check if it is getting spark under the electric start method, but it must have spark when pulled because it runs great when does run.....Thanks for the replys and please keep them coming.....

Did you make any progress?

javahere
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I think he brought it to the dealer, but not sure. I will let you know what they find if he did.....Thanks