PDA

View Full Version : straighten or replace tie rod???

trxasaurus
03-05-2007, 04:52 AM
ok so im wailing down a wooded trail at croom in fla when wham, i hit a stump w/ the left front wheel. slams the bars out of my hands, i felt i was gonna launch into a tree, and spun around to a stop.

i get off an notice i bent the left front steering tie rod. its not too bad but it def changed the toe.

should i take off and straighten (which i would have to take somewhere since i dont have a vice) or buy a new one????

and what about the proper toe-in setting? anyone know what is recommended?

thanks

firefighterjosh
03-05-2007, 05:02 AM
To get you around for a while you can just put it in a vice and straiten it out. I have done it before during rides before. But I highly suggest paying the $20 and buying a nice new strait one. In fact Since my GF and trees seem to like eachother I bought her 4 extra lol. (ok I got a good deal on them...check out ebay)

WELCOME to the site!!!:D

03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I pay $9 for them for Honda.

trxasaurus
03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
thanks guys

im stopping on the way home for a new one!

IMSROLL450R
03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
its ok to straigten one but if you do its weak from then on and will bend easier. I roasted 2 of them in an XC race this weekend so its a good idea to have a few extra. Welcome to the site man!

esr250r86
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I would suggest buying a new one or else it might cost you a broken collarbone. I straightened mine after a wreck, went tohit a jump landed and it just bent all up and made me wreck and break my collarbone. Welcome to the site.:)