PDA

View Full Version : I just did a rebuild and I have a small head gasket leak.

kalebarellano
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I just did a rebuild and the head gasket did not leak before (or at least I never noticed it. I put in a 86mm Wiseco, crf cam chain, fresh gaskets and replaced the valve seals. I out it all back together, and it runs fine, but I do have a small head gasket leak on the front right corner. Any ideas why?

Thanks

stalefish_132
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
what did you torque your head studs down to? did you re use the same head gasket? what compression ratio of piston did you install?

witech
03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
You probably stripped a head stud. Retorque to see if the keep spinning. Repair as needed with inserts or better head studs.

kalebarellano
03-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I did the recommended torque (33ft/lbs I believe). It is a 86mm 10:1 Wiseco. So if I messed up a head stud, what would be messed up the threads in the cylinder or just the stud?

Thanks

400exrider707
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
I did the recommended torque (33ft/lbs I believe). It is a 86mm 10:1 Wiseco. So if I messed up a head stud, what would be messed up the threads in the cylinder or just the stud?

Thanks

What brand gaskets did you use? I used tusk the first time I rebuilt my motor and the head gasket leaked after about 3 hours of riding. Replaced it a few times, finally put a cometic on and it stopped leaking!:o

kalebarellano
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I used all tusk gaskets.

I just noticed that one of my valve cover bolts is loose. I tried to tighten it, but it doesn't, the threads are stripped. Could this have anything to do with it? I would think not, because I would think that would make the valve cover gasket leak if anything. I really didn't tighten those valve cover bolts too tight, so I am kind of supprized that one stripped out.

How much is a helicoil kit?

I am thinking I will get the helicoil kit, and a cosmetic gasket, and fix both those things at the same time. Hopefully it will be good to go after that.

In the mean time is it bad to run it with the small leak? It runs fine. I took it out for like 5hours yesterday, to break it in.

Thanks

kalebarellano
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
So should I just replace it with a cosmetic?

400eXr1d3rZ
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
So should I just replace it with a cosmetic?

Seal it with high-temp silicon.

JOEX
03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Seal it with high-temp silicon.
I don't think silicon is recommended for head gasket leaks:ermm:

400eXr1d3rZ
03-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think silicon is recommended for head gasket leaks:ermm:

I have this Permatex high-temp silicon stuff, it says it makes gaskets on the tube.

JOEX
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
I have this Permatex high-temp silicon stuff, it says it makes gaskets on the tube.
I don't think it's meant for head gaskets though...

400eXr1d3rZ
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think it's meant for head gaskets though...

I've been using it since October without a problem.

kalebarellano
03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
So, should I just order a cosmetic gasket and see what happens? Also were should I get a helicoil kit for that valve cover bolt?

Thanks

416exriden
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
well try to tighten the nut up and if u c the hole stud spinning you have to fix it b/c it's prolly striped but id it tightens up just replace the head gasket with a cometic 1 their prolly a lil bit better than tusk.

dariusld
03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 416exriden
well try to tighten the nut up and if u c the hole stud spinning you have to fix it b/c it's prolly striped but id it tightens up just replace the head gasket with a cometic 1 their prolly a lil bit better than tusk.

Actually, its probably stripped. Those threads strip so easy.

kalebarellano
03-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I tightened it to exactly 33ft/lbs, would it still strip? How exactly can I tap it? Do I get a kit and do it myself? Is it just a tap or a helicoil?

Thanks

dariusld
03-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I tightened it to exactly 33ft/lbs, would it still strip? How exactly can I tap it? Do I get a kit and do it myself? Is it just a tap or a helicoil?

Thanks

I'm talking about the small 8mm valve cover bolts:confused: I just barely snug those down.

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the studs. I have a stripped valve cover bolt and a leaking head gasket. These things wouldn't have anything to do with each other would they?

Do I need to drain the oil to replace the head gasket? Is it bad to ride it with a leaking head gasket?

Thanks,
Kaleb Arellano

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Could I maybe just pull the valve cover and tighten down those nuts a little and maybe it wont leak anymore? Or now that it has started leaking I will need to replace the gasket?

Ruby Soho
03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
i have a question, i was reading this thread, and i then earlier i looked at my ex, i noticed a tiny little spot of something where the topend sits on the cylinder. i dont think its a headgasket because it wasnt wetish where the gasket it is, just at the end of the fin.

this is similar to your problem im thinking so i deicded o post it here:)

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Clean up that area, then see were its coming from.

BLEEDRED
03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Christ! This thread is a mess.

If one of the 8MM bolts is stripped on the right side of the motor it can cause the head gasket to leak. The head gasket extends all the way around the cam chain tunnel. You will need to put an insert in to fix it. Also it depends on which bolt is stripped, a few of them extend all the way into the jug, they are very long. Make certain not to overtighten the 8MM bolts. I believe the torque is something like 8 ft. pounds. But I really can't remember.

I had trouble with gasket leaks on my 440, it ended driving me to sell it. So maybe you shouldn't take my advice. Up to you.

Don't use gasket maker on the head gasket...I truly don't believe that is the solution. I have however used gasket maker between the case and the jug and it worked fine.

I did end up having decent luck with Cometic gaskets. I have no idea why peopel always talk about cosmetic gaskets, maybe I am missing something. Call me an idiot, fine.

Good luck and don't tear your hair out over it. I don't believe that a slightly leaking gasket is the end of the world, especially if it is on the right side of the motor. You are most likely not loosing compression.

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 02:27 PM
It is this bolt that is stripped. Would this cause the head gasket to leak?

Thanks

dariusld
03-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Could I maybe just pull the valve cover and tighten down those nuts a little and maybe it wont leak anymore? Or now that it has started leaking I will need to replace the gasket?

Mine has always leaked:grr: I rode it that way since the beginning. Never a problem. Not saying its ok, but .... I put a new piston in after two years and two of the long valve cover bolts pulled out the threads:mad: Rode it that way for a season:huh When I put the new piston in, I put a tusk gasket in:( It blew the first trip. Put a cosmetic one in, when I got home and its been good since( about a year now). I had a shop helicoil the stripped threads and it still leaks. After a weekend of riding, there is a slight build-up of sand and oil( i'm assuming its oil) around the cylinder( avery thin line you don't even notice)

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
So those bolts will cause the head gasket to leak?

Thanks

dariusld
03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
So those bolts will cause the head gasket to leak?

Thanks I don't know. I fixed mine and it didn't help. But those bolts go all the way down, so I would think they would help a little:ermm: And when you say "leak" are you talking about compression or oil on the outside of your cylinder. I don't think they are the same. Can you tell I'm no expert;) Because Mine has always leaked and runs fine:rolleyes:

kalebarellano
03-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I am talking about oil, running down the side.

BLEEDRED
03-08-2007, 05:38 AM
I believe that those bolts can add to the problem. I would fix them if I were you. Is the oil leaking from right around the area of the stripped bolt?

I too believe that you can run it with a small leak. But the bottom line is that it should not leak, I would try to fix it.

400exrider707
03-08-2007, 07:06 AM
This thread makes me wanna punch babies....it is just completely random thoughts

Buy the cometic head gasket put it on and be done with it... The TUSK head gasket is a piece of crap. I put three on they all leaked, then put a cometic on and it was fine!!!! Mine also had an 8mm bolt strip on the top... I just ran it. High temp silicone wont even hold up on a four stroke motor, the temp is too high. It will eventually just fall off. It especially wont work for head gasket areas because of the compression. Spend the $20 on the cometic. I went through this same thing. I tried tightening the head stud nuts tighter too almost up to 38 ft-lbs and it still leaked. THE GASKETS ARE JUNK!! The kit was still worth it for all of the other little things for the $15 price tag though. But def get the cometic thin head gasket.

BLEEDRED
03-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Cometic makes a three piece flex steel head gasket that is .027" thick. It's a good gasket. You can get them directly through Cometic by calling (440)354-0777 or a lot of shops may carry them. Try C&D. Good luck.

400exrider707
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
Cometic makes a three piece flex steel head gasket that is .027" thick. It's a good gasket. You can get them directly through Cometic by calling (440)354-0777 or a lot of shops may carry them. Try C&D. Good luck.

I got mine from C&D, it was $20 for the thin one.

dariusld
03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I always wanted a monkey for a pet. Just a random thought:p

dirtdigger71
03-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I always wanted a monkey for a pet. Just a random thought:p

LMAO

soltvedt
04-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the thread guys. Even though it was a little random, I got out of it what I needed to. :)

One of my 8mm head/cover bolts was stripped out just like everyone else was talking about. In fact, it was the EXACT same bolt mentioned in the picture posted by another user.

I called to order a helicoil from NAPA for an 8mm bolt with 1.25 coarse thread. They are ordering me a whole kit that comes with the tap tool, the tapper, and 12 different sized helicoils for $35.00

The only other item I will need is a 21/64 drill bit to drill out the stripped hole before tapping it. I'll borrow one of them.

BTW, if I want to order just one helicoil for an 8mm with 1.25 coarse thread in the future, NAPA has them for $8.00 each. Good to know in case I strip another one out putting it back together. Oh, and just the tapper is $15 in case you have the tapper tool already.

Thanks guys!

Ginxd00
04-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by soltvedt
One of my 8mm head/cover bolts was stripped out just like everyone else was talking about. In fact, it was the EXACT same bolt mentioned in the picture posted by another user.

I called to order a helicoil from NAPA for an 8mm bolt with 1.25 coarse thread. They are ordering me a whole kit that comes with the tap tool, the tapper, and 12 different sized helicoils for $35.00

The only other item I will need is a 21/64 drill bit to drill out the stripped hole before tapping it. I'll borrow one of them.

BTW, if I want to order just one helicoil for an 8mm with 1.25 coarse thread in the future, NAPA has them for $8.00 each. Good to know in case I strip another one out putting it back together. Oh, and just the tapper is $15 in case you have the tapper tool already.

Thanks guys!

FYI the rocker cover bolt threads are NOT 8mm the bolt is, but the threads are 6mm x 1.00mm. Your ordering the wrong size. You will need a 1/4' drill bit for the tap. If I am not mistaken that bolt is threaded into the cylinder, not the head so you would have to remove the head to fix the threads.

soltvedt
04-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Ginxd00
FYI the rocker cover bolt threads are NOT 8mm the bolt is, but the threads are 6mm x 1.00mm. Your ordering the wrong size. You will need a 1/4' drill bit for the tap. If I am not mistaken that bolt is threaded into the cylinder, not the head so you would have to remove the head to fix the threads.

Damn.

What the heck was a reading about in this thread then? Now I see why people were commenting on the randomness. :(

I'll order a different kit. I just went and grabbed a bolt, and yes, it is an 6mm x 1.00 thread bolt as you are pointing out.

And yes, these bolts are threded into the cylinder, I already have my engine torn down at the moment, so I'm good.

Thanks for pointing out my poor thread reading skillz. :ermm:

soltvedt
04-26-2007, 07:13 AM
I see where I went wrong. I was listening to these two guys (see below) who were apparently misinformed on the size of the bolts. I just assumed that since they both mentioned the size 8mm, that they knew what they were talking about. Just so everyone else that reads this thread doesn't get any more confused...be sure to take note that these statements made on page 2 are INCORRECT:

Originally posted by dariusld
I'm talking about the small 8mm valve cover bolts I just barely snug those down.

Originally posted by BLEEDRED
If one of the 8MM bolts is stripped on the right side of the motor it can cause the head gasket to leak...Also it depends on which bolt is stripped, a few of them extend all the way into the jug, they are very long. Make certain not to overtighten the 8MM bolts...
The VALVE COVER BOLTS are 6mm bolts! (With a 1.00mm thread.)

The valve cover bolt hole is the one in the picture. Hope this straightens out any confusion. :D

(Maybe the two guys above were referring to the socket size used to tighten the bolts, but regardless...I wanted to set everyone straight.)

CDCHONDAS
04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
lots of those strip out I have helicoiled alot of those valve cover holes.

I can't believe someone reccomended gasket maker for the head.

Posts like this are why I don't come to this site much, 75% of the ppl here are know it alls with the wrong answer

its all blind leading blind, I appologize to the knowledgable folks on here but for all the people standing around making guesses and suggestions based purely and what your buddies buddy said: stfu

:)

soltvedt
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
lots of those strip out I have helicoiled alot of those valve cover holes.So what do you recommend to keep the bolts from stripping? I did not overtighten. It must have stripped out over time from vibration. Does any know if using silicone on the threads will "cushion" the threads so they don't strip out over time? Or am I on crack? :bandit:

CDCHONDAS
04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't see that silicone on the threads is going to solve this, theres alot of heating and cooling going on, corrosion between two different types of metal going on and the ones near the sparkplug will sometimes crack the side out, mainly just make sure your using a torque wrench on install and have the right bolt in the right hole. I havent had the helicoils rip out yet.

dariusld
04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I see where I went wrong. I was listening to these two guys (see below) who were apparently misinformed on the size of the bolts. I just assumed that since they both mentioned the size 8mm, that they knew what they were talking about. Just so everyone else that reads this thread doesn't get any more confused...be sure to take note that these statements made on page 2 are INCORRECT:

The VALVE COVER BOLTS are 6mm bolts! (With a 1.00mm thread.)

The valve cover bolt hole is the one in the picture. Hope this straightens out any confusion. :D

(Maybe the two guys above were referring to the socket size used to tighten the bolts, but regardless...I wanted to set everyone straight.)
Maybe you should edit your post. The information is not INCORRECT. I think we would of been real confusing if we called them "6mm bolts".

dariusld
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks for pointing out my poor thread reading skillz. :ermm:
This is the problem, not my incorrectness:rolleyes:

soltvedt
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Arg, ok crabby pants, lets sum it all up:

THE VALVE COVER BOLTS ARE 6mm x 1.00mm WITH A BOLT HEAD THAT ACCEPTS AN 8mm SOCKET.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON HELICOILING YOUR STRIPPED OUT VALVE COVER BOLT HOLES, YOU WILL NEED A 6mm x 1.00 HELICOIL KIT AND A 1/4" DRILL BIT TO DO THE JOB.

THE VALVE COVER BOLT HOLE MENTIONED IN THE PICTURE BELOW IS INDEED A VALVE COVER BOLT HOLE. NOTE THAT IN THIS PARTICUAR SPOT, THE BOLT PASSES ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS HOLE AND THE THREADS FOR THIS PARTICULAR BOLT ARE LOCATED BELOW THE HEAD IN THE CYLINDER. (SOME VALVE COVER BOLTS ARE LONGER THAN OTHERS. SOME OF THE BOLTS THREAD INTO THE HEAD, AND SOME THREAD INTO THE CYLINDER.)

IN ANY CASE, ALL OF THE VALVE COVER BOLTS ON THE PERIMETER OF THE COVER / HEAD ARE 6mm x 1.00 BOLTS WITH BOLT HEADS THAT ACCEPT AN 8mm SOCKET.

dariusld
04-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Nice response, very clear and helpful:) But since the bolt head accepts a 8mm socket, does that make it an 8 mm bolt?;)

CDCHONDAS
04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
those 3 really long bolts I have subsituted for hardened ones from the john deere dealership, they dont twist off (I had some twist off)

soltvedt
05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
So I got my valve cover bolt threads repaired in the cylinder with the helicoil kit as mentioned above. It worked great.

However, the Wiseco gasket kit I got sucks.

After 1 hour of riding, I have a small leak around the head gasket (between the head and the cylinder), and a large leak on the right side of the base gasket (between the cylinder and the case).

Yes, I carefully torqued everything too.

The valve cover gasket seemed to hold fine.

I wish I would have listened and bought the Cometic gasket kit.

The Wiseco base gasket had a couple of holes that had to be trimmed out too. Stupid. Buy the Cometic I guess. (Even though I have not personally tried the Cometic yet...)

DF400ex
05-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
This thread makes me wanna punch babies....it is just completely random thoughts.

HAHAHA LMAO... I agree.