PDA

View Full Version : Desert Racing

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Any tips on desert racing out there. Me and a friend are gonna race in the upcoming Las Vegas 200 of the Best in the Desert racing series. Neither of us have raced before but we hope to at least be competative in the Amatuer class. Any tips would be great or past expiriences.

desertratt45
10-03-2002, 02:57 PM
one of the things you can do is go run a smaller desert race frist to get your feet wet or should i say dusty! i have been out in the desert for years. i don't mind sharing the info i have learned so if you want to know any thing in particular feel free to ask!
the 200 is a good race to try out. a friend of mine raced it last year and the course was good. the lay out was nice to. its good knowing you dont have to look over your shoulder all the time waiting for some trophy truck to run your ***** over.

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 07:46 PM
do you think my machine will be enough? I am relying on ITS reliability to get us across the finish line. I am not going out to beat anyone my first race, but eventually I will want to be competative. I know that the Vegas 200 is a "single location pit" so that is why I want to run in it, but what kind of crew do you guys use wnd what about when they have to chase. It would be great if you could walk me through what will happen on the race weekend....i.e. contingencys and getting a number....etc.

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 07:48 PM
also, I am running a cobra pipe that doesn't have a spark arrestor....will they check for that
What should I do???

desertratt45
10-03-2002, 08:44 PM
bitd is very organized. frist you'll go to registration get your papers ect.. then you'll roll your quad through tec/contengancy. yes you will need a legal spark arrestor. not sure if they will have an impound at this race or not. i hope not! its a pain in the morning if they do. friday night you'll need to attened the drivers meeting. its mandatory. make sure you get enough pit passes for all your vehicals. unlike score, bitd gives them out pretty freely. saturday is the race. get there early enough to get a spot on pit row. there will an alternet pit. for those of us who cant quit make the whole loop. it would be a good idea if you have enough people to have a couple of them at the alternet with a couple of tires just in case. as for the quad you are riding, just remember its not the fastest guy who always wins! in desert racing if you finish, thats 80% of the race. though if you guys get serious about racing i would definatlly get a bigger quad for next year. :) i started out on a tri-moto 200 back in the day. talk about a long ride!
as for the pit thing at the other events. if you can afford it honda will give minnor pit support. there are a couple of other groups that do the same. when it comes to chasing not much to say there. your crew just drives from pit to pit staying ahead of you hopfully! sucks when you get to the pits and your crew isn't there yet. not very often is there a remote pit. if there is you'll need to send some up there a little earlyer.
best thing you can do is ride smart and remember that you are having fun:D

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 08:52 PM
how many people do you have in your pits, I plan right now on having maybe 2. Will I need more, and also, The "altranate pit" area is a pit that is placed within the loop? Could I have people to give e gas at this point. How early when you say "get there early"?????

thanks for all the help

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 08:54 PM
how exactely do contingencys work?

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 08:56 PM
one ore thing, when do I get my number and how do they give it to me. is it just a decal you can put on a number plate or what? I ask because I heard there is different colors of numbers?

WYO330EXRIDA
10-04-2002, 12:54 AM
I pm'd you desertratt

desertratt45
10-04-2002, 07:20 AM
got your pm. when you send in your entry they will asign you a number. the numbers aren't diffrent colors the back ground behind the numbers are whats differnt. thats what lets the checkers know what class you are in. 2-3 people is ok for a pit crew. at the alternet pit i know i'll be putting a splash of gas in. my 650 drinks it bad. the pits at this race are close enough to have your guys run back and forth.
contingancy is where you will roll through and if you are running any product from the conticancy sponcers you want to sign up and make sure you have there stickers on your bike. its a good way to get a little cash for your efforts.