PDA

View Full Version : Web Cams Problem

mrnate400ex
03-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I bought a used web 943/921 cam from a guy off of ebay. Everything looked good, bearings were good, lobes were good, everything looked fine. Well, we were installing it over the weekend, and had it all in and got everything ready to start it up an make sure we were ok on timing and all of that, but all it would do was backfire. So, we thought no problem we are just 180 out and we took the valve cover back off and started the disassembly again. Well, we went to take the sprocket off the cam and a piece off of the flange that holds the sprocket to the cam broke off and left the screw loose on the sprocket. We got the large piece of the flange out of the motor before it did any harm, but what should I do about the cam??? From what it looks like the break was possibly a manufacturer defect. Has anyone else had this problem with any cam not just web?? I will take pics once I get a chance and post them up. Do you think web will replace the flange if I send it back??

370kingR
03-05-2007, 04:19 AM
Yes...well not me but i do know some engine builders who have had similar problems with the web flanges breaking on them.

Out of all the cam companies, Web uses the smallest, thinest, weakest sprocket flanges on their cams.

I can fix it for you if you really want to use that cam. Funny thing is someone is sending me that EXACT cam as we speak to fix a "spun" flange on their 493 grind.

You can pm me if you want me to fix it for you.

EDIT: call Web first, explain your problem, and they just might replace it for free for you. Their customer service is pretty good i will say. Tell them the whole truth, nothing but the truth and if they dont give you a new one for free, they just might give you a nice discount on a new one.

CDCHONDAS
03-05-2007, 05:11 AM
I had a hotcam for a raptor crack when I tightened the sprocket, hc sent me a new one, said it happens sometimes.

mrnate400ex
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Here is the pic. Glad it didn't start once we got it in. That would have tore my stuff up!!!!

mrnate400ex
03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
wow, sorry for the huge pic!!!!

trx450jason
03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
i would say they should replace it.. deffinately looks like a manufacturing defect.. and the flanges look tiny compared to the hotcams i just put in my bike last week

mrnate400ex
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
called web today. they said send it in and they would replace the flange for $30. i figure it is better than buying a brand new cam for $120+!!!