PDA

View Full Version : Motor Knock and Smoking - Thoughts?

yernkie
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
My brother-in-law has an 83 Honda ATC200x. He decided to change the oil the other day and tipped it over on it's side to help the oil drain. He cleaned the "filter", put everythign back together, and filled it back up with oil. Now, the thing smokes and has a knock. I'm not sure what kind of knock because I have not had the chance to look at it yet. I thought that maybe tipping it on it's side for an extended period of time allowed oil into the combustion chamber, so I told him to pull the plug and kick it over 40 or 50 times then try it again. He tried this, but it didn't help. The plug looks fouled, like it is running rich, but when I piped and jetted the ATC last summer I got it damn near dead on. Any one have any thoughts?

pigpin
03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
being an 83 the rings are probly shot, and possibly put the filter back in backwards, also maybe to much oil, causing blow by, making alot of smoke....

had it been regularly ridden before this, or setup a while, then decided to get it out and get it running?

yernkie
03-07-2007, 06:37 AM
It had been running great up until that point. I told him to change the oil cause we are heading down to Waynoka in a few weeks.

I think that we might have found the issue last night. I went over and had him drain out the oil and start over. First, about 3 qrts came out, and second, where the "filter" (screen goes, one of the oil passages looks to be plugged with some debris. We got it out and cleaned everything up, but he didn't have any oil. He will refill tonight and test it out.

rooster300ex
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I would put alil over a quart of oil then check it. Check by running it easy up and down the road running it through the gears, then let it sit about 30mins check it and top it off to where it needs to be.