PDA

View Full Version : your worst injury or broken bone from an ATV

05Z400rdr
03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
heres mine....i broke my arm severiouly last season and had to get airlifted to hershey medical center...broke both the bones in my left arm. they said if they didnt airlift me quickly, my hand prolly woulda fell off since the only thing holdong it on was skin n stuff...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/hardrock830/brokenarm.jpg

Landon

mach1stang
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
HOLY CRAP i have been lucky so far no injuries except for some busted knuckles and some scrapes but no broken bones

esr250r86
03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
That sucks. I just broke my collarbone about a week ago and it sucks too.

416exmx
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
120 stitches to the ole face.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pcafb509a9f2bce495951ff94e1694735/ea6f9f25.jpg

mach1stang
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
holy shizle my nizle what did you do so i know not to try it

firefighterjosh
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Man that looks like it really sucks. I will get a pic of my scare....I broke my shoulder

416exmx
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Endoed comming over the back side of a step-up. I think the guy behind me hit me in the air causing me to endo. I went over the bars, me and the quad endoed, and the the front of the quad hit my helmet. The force of the hit caused the chin strap busted my face open.

idro
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I took a corner a bit too fast and went down about a 50ft bank. My head hit some railroad tracks, knocked me unconscious(sp) on the rr tracks for some time. I woke up, to a concussion, and bad burn marks on my inner leg. Peeled my CRACKED helmet off, and just rode home. Safely.

Lesson learned always wear a helmet kiddies. I have been ridiculed, called stupid for wearing a helmet but atleast its what kept me a live.

mach1stang
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
dang man looks like i wont be hitting huge jumps any time soon

killerofcrows48
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
nothing extreme, just a mild concussion

Quad18star
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
All I had was skin , tendons and nerves holding my leg onto the rest of my body .

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0030.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0027.jpg

Then a rod held my leg in place until the bone grew back ( the rod is still in there)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0029.jpg

05Z400rdr
03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
well, it was only my 2nd race of the season. my first race, i got 3rd outta 42 on my z400 in open b.

my first moto of my second race went good...i dont remember what place tho. but the 3rd turn n 1st double of the 2nd moto is when it happened. i got behind in the holeshot (stupid me lol) n i do ALL of the jumps on that track.

but, since i got behind a bunch of 450s, they r geared higher n have more top end than my z with 18's on the rear did. and they were in front of me n i have to come outta that turn wide open to make that 50' double...so i did..but the guy in front of the guy in front of me quicked slammed on the brakes and decided to roll the double. and i was going wayy to fast to stop...n if i woulda kept goin, i woulda prolly landed on him..

so i tried to stop, and i did a nosedive into the backside of the landing ramp. n the impact of the bars broke my arm. n then some1 landed on top my 4wheeler...which pushed it on top of me. i dont remember much more, cuz i was passed out for 20 mins...but yeah.

thats my story. what happened to you guys??

trx400EXtreme
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
my worst is a broken sternem. i did break my collar bone once..... on a golf-cart:p ...no joke:eek:

trick250r
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
the worst ive SEEN was a kid hit a 130ft gap, cased it, and had a compound fracture to the femur. the worst ive had... 2 mild concussions and im not sure if theres a term for it, but idk how many times ive hit the boys off of the tank hard enough to make me cry.

coolex
03-04-2007, 07:16 PM
2 concusions and 2 broken bones in one of my foot

wvspeedfreak
03-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I've been pretty lucky.I cracked a rib once.I flipped my quad and while flying headfirst to the ground I put my arms straight out to break my fall.When my left hand hit the ground it drove my elbow into my ribs and cracked one.

Honda#4
03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Last week I just fractured my knee cap, wheelie gone wrong.

hardkoratvmxr
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
worst thing was 5 stitches in my knee and a concussion that knocked me out for 5 minutes other than that i have been lucky

mephyst
03-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Broke my back... flew over bars in a rather large whoop section. The usual back end compression to catapult you over the bars. Crushed my t-7 vertebrae pretty good... that was just over 3 months ago (Day after Thanksgiving) and I'm walking today... and went riding for the first time President's Day. I've recovered well, but I still have pain and am in physical therapy.

Oh, and I broke a few ribs in the accident too, but who cares about those. :p Just don't laugh.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/1476276606_l.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/img010.jpg

idro
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
and you just bought a sport bike? :( tempt fate much? :P

mephyst
03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by idro
and you just bought a sport bike? :( tempt fate much? :P

Ha. Yup. Back doesn't really bug at all while riding the r6. :) I always wanted one, and my bro did too, so we split it for now until we get another one.

I have/ride/race dirtbikes/quads/streetbikes.

armoks
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
My structure in my back...in this wreck I had 2 vertibre fractured[T5 &7] 1 completly crushed[T6], 7 ribs, and a mandible[cheek] (wich was replaced with a nice piece of plastic) It was a day I didn't wear my chest protector or straped my helmet and flipped the quad end over end 4 times!! :eek2:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/armoks/a846.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/armoks/8e34.jpg

mephyst
03-04-2007, 11:03 PM
That's awful man... I don't have a scanner anymore to put my x-rays on my comp... they are the big catscan ones anyway, so they won't fit through my small scanner.

Hows your manuevurability? How long ago did it happen? I was wearing all my gear... and I swear to this day that my chest protector probably saved my life. I cracked it in multiple spots and broke off the visor to my helmet...

05Z400rdr
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
wow...theres some pretty serious injuries in here...*ouch* lol.
plus, if u dont have medical insurance, iim sure the doctors ate a hole in your pockets. just my broken arm was expensive as hell...mostly because of the helicopter ride tho

mephyst
03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
wow...theres some pretty serious injuries in here...*ouch* lol.
plus, if u dont have medical insurance, iim sure the doctors ate a hole in your pockets. just my broken arm was expensive as hell...mostly because of the helicopter ride tho

You got a helicopter ride for a broken arm?? :huh

That's definitely pricey...

krt400ex
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by idro
I took a corner a bit too fast and went down about a 50ft bank. My head hit some railroad tracks, knocked me unconscious(sp) on the rr tracks for some time. I woke up, to a concussion, and bad burn marks on my inner leg. Peeled my CRACKED helmet off, and just rode home. Safely.

Lesson learned always wear a helmet kiddies. I have been ridiculed, called stupid for wearing a helmet but atleast its what kept me a live.

you are lucky a train didnt come down the tracks while you were out. the worst thing that ever happened to me was having my knee, and both elbos scraped up from the same wreck...i was lucky to because i endoed it after hitting a puddle at about 35mph. the quad sent me flying about 25 ft b4 hitting the ground, and then it rolled about 6x and landed upside down ontop of me. my face was buried in about 8 inches of clay mud. i was lucky cuz it could have been alot worse

05Z400rdr
03-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
You got a helicopter ride for a broken arm?? :huh

That's definitely pricey...

yeah..idk if u read it or not, but they said that i had to be flown because if they took much longer (like in an ambulance) that my hand was going to come off. they did drive me a couple miles in an ambulance to a high school football field so the helicopter had room to land. we kept tellin them that we didnt want a helicopter ride for a broken arm..but they didnt listen. its like we had no say in it. but since we have insurance, i think all we had to pay out of the total costs of me breaking my arm (like $26,000) was $250 i think

416exmx
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
yeah..idk if u read it or not, but they said that i had to be flown because if they took much longer (like in an ambulance) that my hand was going to come off. they did drive me a couple miles in an ambulance to a high school football field so the helicopter had room to land. we kept tellin them that we didnt want a helicopter ride for a broken arm..but they didnt listen. its like we had no say in it. but since we have insurance, i think all we had to pay out of the total costs of me breaking my arm (like $26,000) was $250 i think

I had a $5,000 deductiable. My total bills came in at just over $4,800. Swallow that one.

mitch91
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Only thing us Candians have to pay for is the quad/bike when we get in a accident.

All i had was scrapes from my knees to my neak, doing a wheelie down the road when i had my cr85

416exriden
03-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Yea about 2 1/2 months ago I was riding in this pit a hadn't been riding in for a wile and went up this hill going pretty fast and jump the top into a big asss hole broke my wrist in 2 places had to get a metal plate in with 4 screws and the worst part was that a had to ride my quad home but the quad was fine. :blah:

JRP
03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
worst ive had was a severe concussion, severly bruised thigh, broken tailbone, and a few broken fingers, other than that ive been really lucky too!

xtullyx16
03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
i guess im super lucky.. i've only had badly bruised ankle when I hit a small lil jump and endoed into the landing and my ankle smacked onto the bars at about 2nd gear lol

trxwannbe
03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
a friend of mine used to race bikes and now he races quads but back when he started racing bikes him and his dad were building a track and he was out messing around and his dad managed to run him over with the tractor the kid was in the hosp for like 6 mo and i believe icu for 2 of those

atvRiDa400ex
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
ill have this scar on my arm for the rest of my life!

rolled my atv and it landed on my right forearm....snapped both bones clear through!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mestoe/CID__07-14-06_1430.jpg

ida400ex
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
i broke my arm the first day of summer vacation in 3rd grade on my old dirt bike. then on the same bike i botomed out on a big jump and broke my ancle, but i diddnt go to the doc for it.:rolleyes: but outher than that i have had nothin but scraped knees with my ex

sly400ex
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Broken back. T6-T8, and chipped another severely.

I was on my buddy's dirt bike, crashed, knew my back hurt, but still rode the bike to the truck, loaded it up, went home and took a warm shower, back still hurt. Had my dad take me to the hospital in his 5 spd supra. Not a fun ride with all the jerking from him not being that graceful with the clutch!:p

mephyst
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Broken back. T6-T8, and chipped another severely.

I was on my buddy's dirt bike, crashed, knew my back hurt, but still rode the bike to the truck, loaded it up, went home and took a warm shower, back still hurt. Had my dad take me to the hospital in his 5 spd supra. Not a fun ride with all the jerking from him not being that graceful with the clutch!:p

Ha. I also road back to camp. It was only about a half mile, but then it was a very very long ambulance ride over a 3mile dirt/bumpy/whooped road out of Glamis. Then another 30miles to the hospital.

quadracer12
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
put me on the broke T-7 list:(

mephyst
03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by quadracer12
put me on the broke T-7 list:(

:(

I'm just curious how you guys are recovering? I've only busted my t-7 up for 3 and a half months now... seem to be recovering well. Do you guys always have pain? I actually thought it would be much worse than it was.

mic 902
03-06-2007, 03:00 AM
Over jumped a table top and nose dived. Landed on my but, squashed cartelidge between 5 vertabrae in my lower back and severe concusion when my bike landed on me. Wiped three weeks of my memory and couldnt go to school for another 2 weeks... Put me 5 weeks behind. lol. Not bad considering I was only 13 at the time. :blah:

Worst i have ever seen. 8 yr old kid cased a set of doubles, did a full forward flip and landed on his feet, the force of the landing broke both his legs just under his knee's. He tried to walk twice before he realised why he couldnt stand up straight. :huh Then he started screaming. :ermm:

firefighterjosh
03-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by mic 902
Worst i have ever seen. 8 yr old kid cased a set of doubles, did a full forward flip and landed on his feet, the force of the landing broke both his legs just under his knee's. He tried to walk twice before he realised why he couldnt stand up straight. :huh Then he started screaming. :ermm:

That just sent a nasty chill down my back:scary: :huh

FourFiftyFour
03-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I shattered a lot of bones in my left foot.. now I will always be hurting on that foot for life and I can forget wearing heels (which is almost a must with my career : interior design)

bwamos
03-06-2007, 07:22 AM
I've been very lucky. My worst injury was a full seperation of my left shoulder. Healed up well.. bone still sticks up, and the traps get sore.. but a good soak in the tub fixes that. ;)

My ego was the part that was injured the most.. I did it on a tiny little woop. Wasn't even a "section" Just 2 bumps, lol. Quite embarrasing wiping out on that.. LOL. :p

sly400ex
03-06-2007, 09:04 AM
:(

I'm just curious how you guys are recovering? I've only busted my t-7 up for 3 and a half months now... seem to be recovering well. Do you guys always have pain? I actually thought it would be much worse than it was.

I think I got off pretty easy. I was in a removeable cast from my waist to shoulders for about two and half months. After that, my muscles were a little weak in my body from not using them, but I never actually had any formal rehab, right after. About 8 mos. after the accident I threw my back out pretty good, did two weeks off rehad at that point, and that was the last and only time. It's been over ten years now too. I get back pain once in a while, but it actually seems like my lower back reather than where I injured it.

mephyst
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
I think I got off pretty easy. I was in a removeable cast from my waist to shoulders for about two and half months. After that, my muscles were a little weak in my body from not using them, but I never actually had any formal rehab, right after. About 8 mos. after the accident I threw my back out pretty good, did two weeks off rehad at that point, and that was the last and only time. It's been over ten years now too. I get back pain once in a while, but it actually seems like my lower back reather than where I injured it.

Hmm, that's wierd because I kind of feel the same way. I feel as if my lower back gets soar more than where my t-7 is. It is slowly, slowly getting better week by week... but I couldn't sleep on my stomach up until a few weeks ago. Most of the time my back will somewhat bug me is when eating because you hunch a lot when you eat. Also, in school. My lab class, math and pschyology classes are all 3 hours long... so that gets to me also.

400EXTRA
03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
broke my jaw going up a hill with no helment fliped my atv over and it come down and smashed my jaw

300exQuadracer
03-06-2007, 03:00 PM
broke my throttle thumb 3 times this last time they put a 1 1/4" pin in it but i can still pop it out
broke my left collar bone and broke my left ankle
and knocked myself out and slid down the track on my back in practice when i wasnt wearing my under protector
moral of the story is wear your protection all the time

05Z400rdr
03-10-2007, 08:57 AM
any others?

reptikes
03-10-2007, 10:14 AM
My finger got a couple jaggers in it one time. Does that count!

flyboy62
03-10-2007, 10:48 AM
the worst injury i got was probably road rash
i was going up a hill and did not make it and went down almost the whole hill backwards and hit a tree stump and flipped my quad onto me:p

coolguy8769
03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
i was gonna say i got you all beat but i see there are some other broken back people...

i completly shattered by T-3 into peices, and broke my T-4 and T-6. I cased a triple endo'd (i think the bike t-boned my back) and woke up on the ground, got up and fell right back down

esr250r86
03-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I just broke ny right collarbone and was wondering if anyone else broke it how long it took to heal. The doctor said it would heal in six weeks but have any of you ridden before that? mine is not overlapping or anything.

mephyst
03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86
I just broke ny right collarbone and was wondering if anyone else broke it how long it took to heal. The doctor said it would heal in six weeks but have any of you ridden before that? mine is not overlapping or anything.

They take about 6 weeks, but I wouldn't recommend riding before then at all. You will probably even feel weird riding after the 6 weeks for awhile... It takes time buddy. Good luck.

mephyst
03-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
i was gonna say i got you all beat but i see there are some other broken back people...

i completly shattered by T-3 into peices, and broke my T-4 and T-6. I cased a triple endo'd (i think the bike t-boned my back) and woke up on the ground, got up and fell right back down

Yea, I endo'd and my quad t-boned me too. I also stood up right after I crashed and fell right back down, then took about a 10min break and road back to camp VERY SLOWLY. And as each minute passed my back got more swollen and tense/tight until the ambulance arrived. Oh it sucked.

06YFZ450SE
03-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I was doing a wheelie in the woods on a trail and when it came down the tire feel in a rut and fliped the bike. Threw me in the air and I tore my rotator cup and broke my colorbone,

coolguy8769
03-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Yea, I endo'd and my quad t-boned me too. I also stood up right after I crashed and fell right back down, then took about a 10min break and road back to camp VERY SLOWLY. And as each minute passed my back got more swollen and tense/tight until the ambulance arrived. Oh it sucked.

SAME HERE!! except the fact that i told my dad i was fine to pack up, and DROVE 2 HOURS HOME, then decided i would go to the ER in the morning, i got no sleep, that was my last night at home for almost 2 weeks

300exQuadracer
03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86

i broke mine last year (broke out a half inch chunk) and was back to riding in 3 weeks racing in 4, do a lot of exercises taking your arm up to where it hurts and holding till you cant anymore, thats what i did and i think it helped a little

Ace250
03-10-2007, 07:54 PM
i have a buddy that is in the hospital right now that wrecked his blaster at the top of 3rd gear last thursday, he hit a tree and flew forward but his left foot clipped the tree and it tore off his big toe and ripped all the skin and meat off the right side of his foot.I wasnt there but they said you could see all his bones,he was airlifted away.i guess his adio's werent heavy-duty enough.

tldPREDATORboy
03-11-2007, 11:49 PM
i colapsed my t7 and snapped my right ankle in 2.tore ALL my ligamints and tendints in leg,cut my forehead wide open and got 85 staples.and i think a concusion and sprain tail bone.ill pull out the police report.

i drove my 250x off of a 10ft ish drop.i climed a sand pit hill and a dozer took out the back side of the hill.i had 4 seconds to decide weather to stay on or jump of the quad.i decided to stay on.MISTAKE.my buddys said when i hit the ground i bounced. thats why i made it into a 396X there was nothing really left of the old gurl.i hade pics but when i whent to court they took them all.and im still walking and racing today.GO BIG OR GO HOME!!

loganB
03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
three broken ribs a freind of mine was folded in half under a truck wen he was riding his bike home from the track

loganB
03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
three broken ribs a freind of mine was folded in half under a truck wen he was riding his bike home from the track