PDA

View Full Version : 300ex chain adjuster broke

DANVAN
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
My buddy has a 2002 300ex, the chain was very loose, so we attempted to adjust it, the adjuster seemed to be all the way at the end, but the chain was still loose, so with all the presure on it, I broke the aluminum casing which is the adjuster. So now besides the chain still being loose, Im wondering how do we change this adjuster, and if we dont chage it, will dirt and mud get into the rearend housing and damage bearings?
Thanks for any info on this.

Is there a tool to move the adjuster, I always use big plyers.

Honda_Stuntin
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
if you have broken it then you cant ride it.
The chain would get to loose with it broken.(not sure whats broken on it)

i think the chain adjuster is part of the bearing carrier so would would have to buy a new carrier.

Ive always used a BIG flat head screw driver to adjust the chain.

quadgod440ex
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
If its broke u need to replace it , and if the chain was still loose while moving the carrier then its time for a new chain also.

DANVAN
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I figured the chain was streached beyond limits now and needs replacement.

The part that broke is right where u would put the flathead screwdriver and turn the adjuster downwards, the aluminum casing just snapped off. It looks like water and mud can now get inside the rearend assmbly and ruin the bearings.

Thanks for the replys.

rooster300ex
03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
You have broken the rear axle bearing carrier. You will have to remove it and install a new one. I recommend a double wide bearing carrier on ebay. I'll post a link at the bottom for ya. To remove and replace it you have to start by taking the right side tire off. Then remove hub. Then find the locknuts on the right side of the axle,loosen the skinny one all the way toward the brake rotor, then turn the big one towards the brake rotor untill you see a C-clip,remove the C-clip and slide the locknut assembly off, then take off rear brake caliper, after that take the snap ring off that holds the rear brake caliper mount, remove it. Next take the left side tire off, you can take the hub off if you want to protect from damage, but its not necessary, After that remove the chain. Now you should be able to remove the axle by hitting it with a rubber hammer from the right side. Have somebody tuggin on the left side, but take it easy and it should come right out, Once you have the axle out, loosen the 2 allen head bolts that clamp the carrier down.(did you loosen them when you tried to tighten the chain?) Then slide carrier out, replace with new one, grease it if it has a grease zerk, Then put back together the opposite way you took it off.

Ebay is the cheapiest to get a dual row carrier for your 300ex. While your at it you might as well get an extra set of bearings & seals so you'll have them when ya need them. I have yet to destroy my dual row carrier. A stock 300ex carrier just does not cut it for me.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=300ex+carrier&category0=

DANVAN
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
WOW, that was the info I was lookin for, thanks.
Yes the 2 allens were loose before I adjusted the chain.
I think he's gonna sell the quad now.
Thanks again.

rooster300ex
03-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by DANVAN
WOW, that was the info I was lookin for, thanks.
Yes the 2 allens were loose before I adjusted the chain.
I think he's gonna sell the quad now.
Thanks again.

Its not a hard job at all. Don't sell it because the bearing carrier broke. It wasn't its fault anyway. I use big big channel locks to adjust my dads stock carrier on his 300ex, so there is no way I can crack or damage it.

DANVAN
03-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I was using channel locks when I broke this one.

He's selling it because it needs a few other items too, and I think he wants a 400 or somthing automatic.

Thanks for the info, if he cant find one he wants, then I guess he will get this one fixed. A few weekends w/o riding will kill him, like it does me.

rooster300ex
03-08-2007, 09:21 AM
You may be able to jb's weld the crack enough to get a weekend of riding. If it seems impossible for that to even work at all don't do it.

400exrider707
03-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
A stock 300ex carrier just does not cut it for me.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=300ex+carrier&category0=

A stock carrier is more reliable than any of the dual rows on ebay. Bearigns might not last as long, but they use a hardened spacer inside, where as Baldwin is the only aftermarket that does. Tapered carriers eat horsepower. Stock is most reliable. I run a burgard double wide carrier anyways, and have yet to have a problem with it though. Just some info.

rooster300ex
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
A stock carrier is more reliable than any of the dual rows on ebay. Bearigns might not last as long, but they use a hardened spacer inside, where as Baldwin is the only aftermarket that does. Tapered carriers eat horsepower. Stock is most reliable. I run a burgard double wide carrier anyways, and have yet to have a problem with it though. Just some info.

From experience my stock 300EX! carrier did not last as long as my RAD double row aftertmarket carrier.