PDA

View Full Version : Valve Seals and Hotcam **HELP**

Hondabeefast
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
My 01' 400ex needs valve seals and i was wondering if this is something i can do myself or do i have to take it in to my local shop also i have the rocker cover off now and i was told that it had a hotcam in it when i bought it. How do i tell if it has a hotcam in it or not? Any help will be appriciated.
Thanks

exrider23
03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
rotate the cam over and on the farthest end from the sprocket it should say HOTCAM on it.

Ginxd00
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hotcams dont use the decompression, see if its on there.

jfwyatt
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
changing the valve seals is real simple if you are mechanically minded. their are two ways todo this its easiest with the head off then all you do is take a spring compressor , compress the valve spring remove the keepers and then you have access to the valve seals . If you dont have a valve spring coppressor you can rent one from most advance auto parts,or pep boys. also while the head is off i would at least lap the valve to make sure they sealed good. The other method with the head still on the motor is to roll piston to bdc then insert a few feet of rope into the plug hole and roll the piston back toward tdc until you feel resistance. then you can carefully compress the spring and remove the keepers. then install new valve seals and reverse the prossess.hope this helps.