PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know what would happen if you ran the bike without a pipe?

07250ex
03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I am curious as to what would happen?

nevadanotch
03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Pipes are specifically designed to silence and provide the required back pressure for the motor to run properly. Over time you would run the risk of valve damage but each individual manufacturer's motors are different. You can't just say something specific will happen. I wouldn't do it!

Ruby Soho
03-04-2007, 09:49 AM
it would sound like crap, and cause damage.

dont do it

Scott-300ex
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
It would be loud, run like bad, crack your valves, and get the nieghbors to call the cops.

gojk
03-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
I am curious as to what would happen?

Can you film it when you do it. Just for everyone elses educational purposes. But seriously, do plan on having the engine very long if you don't have an exhaust system on it.

03-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Nothing bad its safe. Just check and make sure it don’t run lean if it dose then jet it.

The valves will be fine. Removing the silencer and running header only is only bad if your turn really lean. If you’re really lean you can burn up your valves or seize a motor but that would be a jetting problem not because you removed the silencer.

Your valves will not heat up and cool down to fast eithor. If the exhaust system is a 3 piece then I would not trust just a header cause that would be very short. As long as the header comes past where the subframe starts its safe.

It won’t sound like crap it will sound loud. No pipe makes any certain noise other than being a higher or lower db. Any pipe that sounds like crap to any one is only because the db's are higher or lower than what they prefer.

It won’t run bad at less your jetting is set way off. For the power you will lose bottom end but gain top end power. Wheelies will be harder to do.

Thats for 4 stroke.

For most 2 strokes you can even run NO header and nothing bad will happen as long as its jetted.

400eXr1d3rZ
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
If you run no header it will sound like bubbles popping, won't be very loud.

JOEX
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
A potential problem....
http://www.green-group.com/photogallery/Crestview,%20forest%20fire_sm.jpg

400eXr1d3rZ
03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
A potential problem....
http://www.green-group.com/photogallery/Crestview,%20forest%20fire_sm.jpg

Haha, that was a good one :D

400exrider707
03-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Haha, that was a good one :D

Thats not a joke... I think he's referring to running it without a spark arrestor.

interceptorz28
03-05-2007, 06:12 AM
whats the point? Do you mean absolutely no exhaust ? cuz thats no good at all, it will sound like crappola, not a cool deep growl.
I believe running without a muffler and a short head pipe will burn out your valves.

bwamos
03-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Removing the header will cause damage to the engine.

Oxygen entering the system that close to the head (well at the head) will cause your already superheated gasses w/ unburnt fuel to become even hotter. This will overheat your valves, and potentially cause them to fail, or damage the seats.

You'll lose torque and hp by removing the pipe, anyway. The header is designed to move the exhaust gasses at an accelerated rate in order to assist with drawing out exhaust on the next pulse. Like a rubberband/slinky effect.

Just run a stinking pipe and silencer.

03-05-2007, 08:43 AM
If you want loud from and only have a stock pipe just drill a 2" hole in the baffle or two 1" holes. Opens thh stocker up big time and its really loud.

05Z400rdr
03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by nacs420
If you want loud from and only have a stock pipe just drill a 2" hole in the baffle or two 1" holes. Opens thh stocker up big time and its really loud.

it would be more surface area for one 1'' hole rather than two 1'' holes. therefor, if u want louder, and u trust drilling that, do the one 1'' hole...but be carefull not to get people mad...like neighbors..

HPIcamaross
03-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Scott300ex was dead on....I took a jump with mine...landed on the rear end and it tore my muffler clean off...so i ran without it. About 10 minutes later it was runnin like ****, the neighbors were all standin out side and it sounded like a mexican low rider

Over-land 450r
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
i love how everybody on here knows wat they are talking about. And then they will swear by it. With out a muffler, JEtted correctly that is, You will be fine. It will basically sound like a cruzier bike. If any body dissagress with the motor getting trashed, Wat do you think the TC shorty is?

Over-land 450r
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
i love how everybody on here knows wat they are talking about. And then they will swear by it. With out a muffler, JEtted correctly that is, You will be fine. It will basically sound like a cruzier bike. If any body dissagress with the motor getting trashed, Wat do you think the TC shorty is?

05Z400rdr
03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Over-land 450r

sounds like your the one that "knows what ur talking bout" now.. lol. i see u race d6...where u race man??

Landon

03-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by HPIcamaross
Scott300ex was dead on....I took a jump with mine...landed on the rear end and it tore my muffler clean off...so i ran without it. About 10 minutes later it was runnin like ****, the neighbors were all standin out side and it sounded like a mexican low rider

lol yeah it will be loud. The power goes bad cause it looses bottom end and gains tope end which makes the power ****y for mx and jetting is off of corse right away.

250exkid
03-11-2007, 01:20 PM
well DUH it ran like crap after 10 mins.... if you would have jetted it with a huge jet it probly would run good. iv heard you need atleast 5 inches of head pipe for it to run right and of course the correct jetting.:o

250exkid
03-11-2007, 01:20 PM
well DUH it ran like crap after 10 mins.... if you would have jetted it with a huge jet it probly would run good. iv heard you need atleast 5 inches of head pipe for it to run right and of course the correct jetting.:o

RoadRage77
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
for a while i ran just my header pipe at the hillclimbs. Before i did all kinds of motor work. I was loud and obnoxious. People would look at you and shake their heads. It was funny and annoying. Needless to say when i redid the motor, the valves did have to be replaced... I dont know if it was just from running the header pipe or not I only did it for like 2 weekend rides. I would not do it again..

RoadRage77
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
for a while i ran just my header pipe at the hillclimbs. Before i did all kinds of motor work. I was loud and obnoxious. People would look at you and shake their heads. It was funny and annoying. Needless to say when i redid the motor, the valves did have to be replaced... I dont know if it was just from running the header pipe or not I only did it for like 2 weekend rides. I would not do it again..

ohsobad_chevy
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Double post!
:devil:

03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
How many dbs is a 4 wheeler with no muffler?

Yee-Haw_400EX
03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nacs420
For most 2 strokes you can even run NO header and nothing bad will happen as long as its jetted. Whatever man! 2 strokes need the expansion chamber to be precise or they'll run like crap!

DF400ex
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
when I had my exhaust off to wrap it I just couldn't resist starting the quad. I wanted to hear it with out a pipe. Holy $h!t was it loud. Like retarded loud, lol. Nothing I'd want to run, even with earplugs. Then I revved it up and, well it just way louder still. I tried it again with just the header on and it was still way to loud.

03-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Yee-Haw_400EX
Whatever man! 2 strokes need the expansion chamber to be precise or they'll run like crap!

Well the only reason 2 strokes need headers is for better power at less you have the power valve thing. I tried a 2 stroke with no header just to see how it was and it didnt run to good and was really loud. When I shut it off all you could here was a bunch of dogs barking from all over.

ohsobad_chevy
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm

Just thought it would be appropriate to post this. ;)

Honda_7x
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
ive witnessed it a guy did it on his raptor 660 and another on his 400ex they took off the muffler(still had the pipe on) and ran them about 1/2 a mile .....it was the loudest craziest s*** i have ever heard in my life

but it will do severe damage because as the cool air reaches your HOT valves it will crack them then your screwd