PDA

View Full Version : FDO 473 con rod length ???

shaneb
10-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Does the FDO stroker crank use a longer or shorter rod (compared to stock) for thier 7mm strocker. Anyone know the length ??

As similar question is what piston do they use. Does is have a different pin height ??

Shane

oynot400
10-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Mike (from FDO) uses a stock lenght rod. What the length on it is I do not know. I do believe that he uses the IMS Hot Rod, I am not 100% sure on that. What I do know is he uses a JE piston that the pin hight was raised 7 mm.
I don't know if the stock lenght rod is considered a long rod or not. But when I talked with Powroll the use a shortened rod. If I remember right it was a 4 mm stroke and a 4 mm shorter rod. They told me I can use my same piston. From what I learned from other engine builders here at Deere, with a shortened rod and longer stroke the rod to stroke ratio will be off. Causing 2 things, one being that the piston will not be at TDC for very long and it give extra pressure on the thrust side of the piston. This will cause premature wear on the piston and cylinder.
Now going with at stock lenght or longer rod the piston will stay a TDC longer, resulting in more power. :D
If you have any questions regarding FDO's engines give Mike a call at 740-967-1078. It is best to try to contact him in the evening. ;)

ChadEXer
10-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Its funny how engine builder differ!!! Tom at TC says hot Rods are junk and you dont want to use them!!! He said the Carrilo rods are better but still arent good for a stroker motor,,he builds his own rods and says that the only way for a rod to last in a big stroker motor!!!

MIKE400EX
10-03-2002, 12:21 PM
If a crank is stroked 4mm, all else being the same including the piston pin height, then the rod only needs to be 2mm shorter. So a 7mm stroker would only need a rod that's 3.5 mm shorter....
A "long" rod is one that is longer than stock, conversly a "short" rod is one that is shorter than stock. (we're talking about connecting rods in a motor here ....I think).

I personally can't imagine that the Carillo rod is not "good enough" for a stroker motor? Unless it's a weight or dimensional issue, I've never seen a commercial EX rod that's stronger. (Just MY opinion of course.)

shaneb
10-03-2002, 12:34 PM
So when you move the pin up 3.5mm does than put the pin in the ring lands ???

What needs to be done to the bottom end to create clearance for the 7mm stroker crank ???

What does the 473 cost from FDO, I am trying to call them but can not get thru ....

Shane

ChadEXer
10-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
If a crank is stroked 4mm, all else being the same including the piston pin height, then the rod only needs to be 2mm shorter. So a 7mm stroker would only need a rod that's 3.5 mm shorter....
A "long" rod is one that is longer than stock, conversly a "short" rod is one that is shorter than stock. (we're talking about connecting rods in a motor here ....I think).

I personally can't imagine that the Carillo rod is not "good enough" for a stroker motor? Unless it's a weight or dimensional issue, I've never seen a commercial EX rod that's stronger. (Just MY opinion of course.)
Tom says a Carrilo rod isnt strong enough because on a big stroker motor,,,(Im not sure if this applies to a 463, but it does for my 505) that you have to do some grinding to the rod to make it work right,,,I dont know much about it but thats what he said!!! by building his own rod he makes it where it doesnt have to be grinded and therefor weekened???

oynot400
10-03-2002, 12:55 PM
The con- rod need to machined to let it pass 3rd gear. I have not seen the piston yet, he is suppose to ship it all when he gets my crank. So I can't compair the 2 pistons. The counter balancer needs to be machined also to let the piston pass on the down stroke.
If you leave him a message he will call you back in the evening. I have had the best luck about 8 pm cst.
Cost, I will let him quote you. He did me a pretty good deal because I am doing most of the work myself. :devil

oynot400
10-03-2002, 01:02 PM
I asked Mike about maching the rod and if that would weaken it, that was a concern when he told me that. He told me that when I saw the rod, and how beefy it was, then how much had to come out, it would not be a problem. But like Chad said on a big bore stroker it may be a problem.
If you talk to Mike ask him about it. ;)