PDA

View Full Version : Losing coolant, oil is milky..

Punk'd
03-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I just recently got my bike back from the shop. My rod bearing went out, but it being a 04 I just went ahead and replaced the crank. Also a new piston and replated cylinder.

Anyhow when my rod bearing went, shavings were everywhere. So the mechanic had to wash out the oil cooler etc.. When I got the engine back I shook as much water out of the oil cooler as possible and installed it. I noticed after about 15mins of break in my oil was milky. At first I thought ehh.. its just some water left over in the oil cooler. Well i've drained it 6-7 times now and the same milky color comes back everytime. Last time I went riding some oil blew out of the hose next to the filter, it was a light green color. Well tonight I pop off the coolant cap to see that its not at the full mark. So I drained it to see excatly how much was missing and I only got back about 1/4th of the coolant I put in. So obviously coolant is getting into the oil some how or something.

I'd appreciate opinions or if anyone has any idea what to do.

PS: There is no smoke from the exhaust or anything that indicates burning coolant:confused:

nevadanotch
03-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Have you checked the oil level? If you are loosing coolant your oil level may rise because of the water getting into the oil system. Do not even start you motor until the problem is fixed! I'm not very familiar with your quad but I'm positive the addition of water into the oil system can lead to lack of lubrication and a motor seize! It might be a bad head gasket allowing water to leak into the oil system, but like I said I'm not that familiar with your quad. Have a professional check the oiling system ASAP!

Punk'd
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by nevadanotch
Have you checked the oil level? If you are loosing coolant your oil level may rise because of the water getting into the oil system. Do not even start you motor until the problem is fixed! I'm not very familiar with your quad but I'm positive the addition of water into the oil system can lead to lack of lubrication and a motor seize! It might be a bad head gasket allowing water to leak into the oil system, but like I said I'm not that familiar with your quad. Have a professional check the oiling system ASAP!

Went riding today, oil level rose and started leaking out the crank case breather tube. Its a light green.

"THE ShoP"
03-04-2007, 01:23 AM
if you oil is milky it's most definatly a bad headgasket, an like nevadanotch said def don't turn the bike over till you find ab fix the problem

04450rrider
03-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Could have have explained it better than u guys. I think it has to be a bad gasket somewhere.

madskrillz2
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
if you're losing coolant then its probably the water pump impellar or water pump itself.

chad502ex
03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
milky oil is obviously from coolant mixxing with oil. oil and water dont mix so it becomes frothy...

light tan color..

could be coming from:
cracked cylinder -cylinder water jackets
or
blown head gasket
or
over ported head
or
they forgot to re-install the collant collar at the cylinder base or behind right side cover
or
water pump impeller seal (although usually not abundant leak)

Punk'd
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
milky oil is obviously from coolant mixxing with oil. oil and water dont mix so it becomes frothy...

light tan color..

could be coming from:
cracked cylinder -cylinder water jackets
or
blown head gasket
or
over ported head
or
they forgot to re-install the collant collar at the cylinder base or behind right side cover
or
water pump impeller seal (although usually not abundant leak)

If it was getting into the cylinder wouldnt this cause my exhaust to smoke a whitish color?

Im thinking the moron forgot to install the coolant coller at the bottom if the cylinder?? What do you guys feel is the most probable cause?

chad502ex
03-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
If it was getting into the cylinder wouldnt this cause my exhaust to smoke a whitish color?

Im thinking the moron forgot to install the coolant coller at the bottom if the cylinder?? What do you guys feel is the most probable cause?

yea, kinda elimnates the port leak or cylinder crack if it is not smoking...

I've seen pictures of the collar at the bottom of the cylinder leak outward when it is forgotten... suppose it could leak inward and not show outward.

Punk'd
03-05-2007, 01:10 PM
yea, kinda elimnates the port leak or cylinder crack if it is not smoking...

I've seen pictures of the collar at the bottom of the cylinder leak outward when it is forgotten... suppose it could leak inward and not show outward.

Hmm.. What would you think if you were me at this point?

Thanks alot

chad502ex
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Hmm.. What would you think if you were me at this point?

Thanks alot

I would do a leakdown test, compression check first cause I suspect the replated cylinder....

then,.. maybe do a pressurized radiator tests where you pump the rad to find the leak...

Rootar
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
NO NO NO, this jsut happened to mine you need to replace the waterpump impeller shaft, the bearing and the two seals in there AND QUIT RIDING IT you going to ruin your clucth if you continue to ride it

and if the antifreeze is leaking into the side of the motor with the window, well then your jsut screwed and good one becasue that seal is right off the the middle of the motor and is no fun to get to.

nevadanotch
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
You may ruin the clutch but you'll also run the risk of seizing the motor because water and antifreeze doesn't make a very good engine lubricant! My daughter's boyfriend just seized his truck motor due to driving it with water in the oil!

Punk'd
03-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
NO NO NO, this jsut happened to mine you need to replace the waterpump impeller shaft, the bearing and the two seals in there AND QUIT RIDING IT you going to ruin your clucth if you continue to ride it

and if the antifreeze is leaking into the side of the motor with the window, well then your jsut screwed and good one becasue that seal is right off the the middle of the motor and is no fun to get to.

I just replaced the oil seal for the impeller shaft but the oil continues to change colors (not in the tranny side, the glass side)

Do you think the shaft needs replacement as well? There was a wear mark around it (a ring) almost deep enough for my nail to get stuck. What do you think?

If you could tell me what parts I need that would be great so I can go buy them before the dealer closes.

Rootar
03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Punk'd wrote on 03-09-2007 08:02 PM:
I just replaced the oil seal for the impeller shaft but the oil continues to change colors (not in the tranny side, the glass side)

Do you think the shaft needs replacement as well? There was a wear mark around it (a ring) almost deep enough for my nail to get stuck. What do you think?

yes there are two seals the when the outter seal goes it will drip out of your weap hole on the case underneath the waterpump cover, if the shaft has ANY grooves in it replace it, if hte coolant is going in your clutch side oil its the inside seal and/or bearing on the impeller shaft, when you replace one of the four you might as well replace them all to be safe, now if its in to the glass side thats one of two things the head gasket or the seal inside there between the cases i believe, have your honda shop pull up the shecmatics page and find it and yes make them change it because they didnt something wrong putting it back together.

good luck and dont ride it at all if its leaking coolant into your oil you mess up a few hundred dollars worth of bearing and seals and other stuff VERY quickly.

Rootar
03-09-2007, 06:02 PM

this is what i was talking about i think, i need to ask Jay he was telling me all this becasue i started leaking into my clucth oil and he explained it all to me.

Punk'd
03-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
yes there are two seals the when the outter seal goes it will drip out of your weap hole on the case underneath the waterpump cover, if the shaft has ANY grooves in it replace it, if hte coolant is going in your clutch side oil its the inside seal and/or bearing on the impeller shaft, when you replace one of the four you might as well replace them all to be safe, now if its in to the glass side thats one of two things the head gasket or the seal inside there between the cases i believe, have your honda shop pull up the shecmatics page and find it and yes make them change it because they didnt something wrong putting it back together.

good luck and dont ride it at all if its leaking coolant into your oil you mess up a few hundred dollars worth of bearing and seals and other stuff VERY quickly.

Yeah its not in the tranny side of the oil its in the motor side.