PDA

View Full Version : charging problem

markvette
03-03-2007, 08:58 PM
ok every few days i have to charge the battery on my sons 300ex. the battery is only a month old. i took a multi meter tonight and checked the battery with the quad not running, it had 12,74 volts. started the quad and at idle it had 12.94 volts, reved the motor up a little and no difference. ok now i have checked altenators on cars before and there is always one wire that you can check to see if the altenator is putting out. i tried tracing the wires on this quad but nothing seemed to go back to the battery to charge it. the battery has the negative that grounds to the frame. then the positive that goes to the solinoid, on this same post on the solinoid that this wire connects to there is a wire that goes to the single fuse on the quad. i see no wire from the stator running back to the battery to charge it, am i seeing this wrong or do quads work differently than cars . also i changed the solinoid a few months ago to a ford truck solinoid, only 9 bucks. the honda solinoid had 2 wires going into it besides the battery and starter cable. one is for the push start button to engage the solinoid, i thought the other wire was a groung since the solinoid was in a rubber bracket and was not grounded. the ford solinoid is mounted to the frame so it is grounded. i left the other wire disconnected, this couldnt have anything to do with the stator could it. guess i will buy a clymer and hope they have a good wiring diagram in it.

Mark

250X_project
03-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Sounds like it may be charging, but has a draw when sitting. Maybe you could put a shut off on the battery.