PDA

View Full Version : rebuild time need help!

81 clark racing
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
first question is, i did a oil change like 5 6 months ago. and i put the oil level right at the little circle on the upper mark on the dip stick. now its down like 3-4 x's is this normal? i no ive waited a long time 2 change the oil but i dont ride that much. also i dont see it smoking. i put it in neutral and rev it out and i dont see any. also i havent noticed any power loss. kinda hard to tell tho theres so much snow here that all i do is spin and get stuck so.

second question is im thinking of doing a rebuild anyway. whats the best set up for woods-trail riding. i dont not race so i need it to be reliable thats the biggest factor. what WOULD YOU guys do. i want to no everything from the size bore to what piston etc you think i should run. need a compelte list of EVERYTHING i need or should do. thanxs sorry for all the questions and the long post

JOEX
03-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Make sure you let the motor idle for several minutes prior to shutting it off and let the motor rest for a few more minutes before checking the oil level.

If these steps are not followed you'll get a low reading.

northwest Texas
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
If you sit back and think about it, it's not normal for an engine NOT to burn oil. Oil lubricates the piston/rings/cylinder and at the same time there is an explosion of combustibles of which oil will burn if ignited. So technically there is some oil loss through combustion. Or can some engine experts tell me I'm wrong? I'm going off common sense here as I've never been around an engine that did not use some oil whether it's gas, diesel, nat. gas, air or liquid cooled.

Unless you've only ridden it once in that period of time, the oil loss wouldn't worry me whatsoever.

As for your rebuild. I don't think the bore is as important as the mods you build around that. If you're going to tear into the engine anyway, maybe a slight bump up in compression on the piston might be worth looking into. I think the one thing I would do is replace the stock cam and that's it.........unless you're looking for a lot more power. It's easy for me to tell you what I have but my conditions may not be acceptable to yours with the same mods.

Put in a different cam and see if you like the improvement and/or want more and go from there. You can do that for less than $150 if you do it yourself.

joshyz125
03-06-2007, 02:54 AM
If your not racing, i would keep it the smallest bore you can, just enough to clean it up, that way you get more time out of that cylinder.

To get a little more out of it, i would do an exhaust, maybe the 6 degree Flywheel key, you could look into a stage 1 cam,