PDA

View Full Version : 400ex axle removal question

bigballz400
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
alright i got the big nut loose closest to the brake hub now i cant get the other one closest to the tire loose does it go the same way as the safey nut?

honda300EXtreme
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
yes move it towards the other one that way you can remove that C-clip and then spin the hole assembly off the axle

bigballz400
03-03-2007, 06:38 PM
cant break it loose 4 foot cheater and 2 1/2 foot pipe wrench

northwest Texas
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
It's probably going to take some heat then. Problem is to get it hot enough when you put the pipe wrench on, bad things can happen in those jaws with soft metal so be cautious.

Once it goes, use plenty of WD-40. It's not likely to be fun as the threads are probably rusting and once you break that loose then the threaded piece will want to turn.

You may have to move it a quarter turn or less at a time going back and forth spraying WD-40 and eventually it will start moving more and more.

Before you use the heat though, take a hammer and strike the nut with a firm blow all the way around. That may dislodge it enough you won't need the heat. Sometimes that works, sometimes it don't.

bigballz400
03-03-2007, 07:44 PM
ok goin to go try it

togup
03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
The factory puts thread sealant on the nut ,I had the same problem so I cut the nut (paralell with the axle) thats when it finally gave up. RAD makes an awsome axle nut that screws on then you set it with its set screws,oh by the way it comes in red yellow blue green orange and silver. Be careful not to hit the threads.