PDA

View Full Version : Air Box/K&N Air Filter Power Gains Question

strnge
03-02-2007, 01:11 PM
What can I do to gain more power by air intake?

K&N Air Filter, if so which part number?

Different Air Box, if so who? Will this change my K&N Air Filter part number?

How much horse power will I get? Is there a noticable difference?

Does the orginal carb on my 88 250r need to rejeted? I am going to go with an exhaust upgrade too. (full system)

madeincanada123
03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by strnge
What can I do to gain more power by air intake?

K&N Air Filter, if so which part number?

Different Air Box, if so who? Will this change my K&N Air Filter part number?

How much horse power will I get? Is there a noticable difference?

Does the orginal carb on my 88 250r need to rejeted? I am going to go with an exhaust upgrade too. (full system)

K&N with holes drilled in airbox and not sure how many hp's but you will need to rejet

250r4life
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
i beleive it is HA4250...

take the airbox lid off...

deathman53
03-04-2007, 03:44 PM
keep in mind a k&n filter lets fine dirt in, if you use one, put on a pre-filter.

strnge
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Is the pre filer a cloth bag over the k&n actual filter?

250r4life
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
yes... i dont know about cloth, but yes it is "cloth" that goes over the filter itself...

Scott-300ex
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Run no airbox and a filter with an Outerwears (thats the pre filter filter cover)

Guys at the track run no airbox, but if your runnin in sand a lot just take off the airbox.

And if you let major air in like take off the box then rejet with that and the pipe then. Prolly just go up lik 2-5 like a 162 I think?

Scott-300ex
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Run no airbox and a filter with an Outerwears (thats the pre filter filter cover)

Guys at the track run no airbox, but if your runnin in sand a lot just take off the airbox.

And if you let major air in like take off the box then rejet with that and the pipe then. Prolly just go up lik 2-5 like a 160 I think?

strnge
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
The only thing this quad will NOT be used on, is a flat track. If that helps any.

MossboysRacing
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Personally i would not run a K & N filter. As Deathman says, it lets fine dirt in. I would suggest a Uni filter, it has two layers of foam and does a better job of filtering. I say this being that i ran a K & N filter for 5 years and wont put it back on now. I also run an enclosed air box and if you take the time to jet it properly, it will run great. Granted i run HareScrambles so i need a enclosed airbox due to deepwater and tons of mud. I even switched from K&N to Uni Filters on my 4-strokes. Since i switched i have noticed a longer time between top-end rebulids and less sand/dirt in my carb. (yes one time i took my carb off and found crap in the bowl and jets)

strnge
03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
On the Uni...Which one are you using? Part number? Phot of it installed if you could. I dont want any fine sand it the carb, so I will go with Uni instead of K&N.

MossboysRacing
03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
the Uni part # is 14-4102 Out of RockyMountainATV, and its only $20.99 or you can usually pic one up/order one at your local dealership. It installs just like a factory one with a hose clamp. I would suggest also buying the uni filter cleaner and oil while your at it. They are in spray cans and make it so much eaiser to clean/oil your filter.

250r4life
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
for sand, i think the K&N is better... with the outerwear and maintained properly, you shouldt, and i have never, had a problem...

for real dusty conditions or wet conditions, i would go with the UNI...

250r4life
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
i have a K&N and a UNI, each with about a day of riding on them...

K&N comes with the outerwear... looking to sell them, if youre interested, shoot me an email...

86 Quad R
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
for all around riding and practical purposes i would go with the uni filter and an open lid air box. as mentioned get the cleaning/oiling kit for it. it will last for years.

another suggestion (if you dont already have one) is to get a set of air box rings for the box.

250r4life
03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
as mentioned get the cleaning/oiling kit for it. it will last for years.

not at the rate i ride, and how meticulous i am about having a clean filter... i buy the larger containers and go through a handfull each year...

i had 4 K&Ns and i UNI at one point... and would only go one day at the dunes before switching to a new filter...