PDA

View Full Version : grease zerk

bmf400ex
10-02-2002, 09:06 PM
can grease zerks be fitted into the stock a-arms and bearing carrier, or is there no clearance th there. i noticed on microfishy that the a-arms are fitted wit two collars (plastic i assume) one on each side then a bolt runs through. i was thinking about adding zerks on there. i am a lube freak.

10-03-2002, 07:37 AM
I guess it would be possible with the a-arms but the axle carrier would be like reinventing the wheel,,it's sealed and wouldn't be worth the time and money for fixing something that gets messed up.

forum
10-03-2002, 08:20 AM
greese zerks can be put into the a arms but you gotta cut a bit out of the a arms mounts for clearence. and the axle carier is easy. I just did it. my aftermarket one didn't have one for some reason. o well it was cheap. YOu can drill a large hole in the swingarm so it can be greesed well still installed. But it's not really needed. just pump it full of greese everytime you blow bearing witch is usualy often

10-03-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by forum
my aftermarket one didn't have one for some reason. o well it was cheap.

But a stock one is different than aftermarket correct??

Leo
10-03-2002, 07:17 PM
if you wanted to add a grease fitting to the stock carrier you would have to press the bearings out, and remove the inner seals (the bearings are sealed on both sides) or the grease wouldn't be able to get to them anyway..

as far as adding fittings to the a-arm bearings (they are spherical bearings, not bushings) I don't see much use in it.. I've never heard of anyone wearing them out, and even if you did a complete factory control arm (w/ ball joints + bearings) is only in the $50 range.. I figure the ball-joints are going to wear out long before the pivot bearings.

every winter I take a day and take my a-arms and swingarm off to clean / lube all the bearings (don't forget the shock linkage bearings) and that's just because I'm anal about it. I also replace the seals. Unless you do a ton of mud/water riding -or- are crazy with the pressure washer you should be fine.

Leo