PDA

View Full Version : Those who are using amsoil.....

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I've got a few questions...

1.) Does the quality of their oil let you run it longer than a comparable oil that costs less, or is it just that much better, but only for the same amount of time?

2.) On AMSOIL's site they have a "prefered customer" option that you can purchase for $20 a year. It allows you to recieve 15-20% off of all products without being a dealer with them. You just have to renew your fee every year. Has anybody done this, and is it worth it after you pay to have them ship it to you, etc? I noticed you don't really save any money by buying by the gallon instead of by the quart so I'm wondering if it will be just as cheap to buy by the quart at the local dealer and not have to pay shipping.

Thanks!

bradley300
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
the preferrd customer fee should pay for its self over a years time if you are changing your oil frequently. i just buy alot at once to deter all the shipping. shipping shuld be cheap for you anyway, they have a distribution center in columbus, and you are allowed to pick it up also.

for the frequency question, the best bet is to change it the first time at your regular interval and test it with a test kit they sell and see how its holding up

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Test kit?.....tell me more....

How often do you change yours? What kind are you running too?

gotwarrior
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I just got the "prefered customer" from Amsoil on sponsorhouse, and I to would like a little info to figure out what the bang for my buck is..:D

bradley300
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
i used the 0-40 AFF four stroke in my predator, and will be using it in my yfz, just havent gotten around to changing it yet. ( BTW, how much oil to i add? never done it on my yfz)

amsoil offers a few oil analyisis kits, here is the info ive cut and pasted from the amsoil dealerzone
The Sampling Process
Trend Analysis
A single sampling analysis is useful in providing information when critical failure conditions exist. However, trend analysis is a better tool for estimating the useful life or overall condition of your engine or equipment. Trend analysis samples are taken and analyzed at regularly scheduled intervals. Comparing the most recent analysis to previous reports on a given machine shows the development of trends. Monitoring these trends enables early detection of internal abnormalities. Tested values falling within acceptable limits may show a pattern of subtle variance, which could signal a developing problem.

Machines of the same type will accumulate contaminants and wear at different rates. Performing trend analysis on each machine is the most effective method of giving you an internal look at your equipment and enabling you to deal with developing problems before they become catastrophic situations.

Sampling Frequency
The frequency of sample analysis from your equipment depends on the machine type, machine application and condition, operating environment and other variables. For example, many machines that operate in harsh environments, such as heavy equipment in mining or construction, require short oil sampling intervals - every 100 to 300 operating hours. However, certain power transmission systems, such as gearboxes and hydraulic systems used inside manufacturing and production facilities, require no more than quarterly sampling intervals. The following table lists generic sampling frequencies for common equipment types, and is provided as a guideline only. Additional information is available from Oil Analyzers Inc., your lubricant supplier, and the equipment manufacturer.

Collecting a clean and representative oil sample is critical to the oil analysis process. Put simply, an oil analysis is only as good as the sample taken. The accuracy and reliability of the data produced by an analysis hinges on receiving a representative sample from the equipment to be tested. To assure that the sample extracted is representative of the system, always follow proper sampling procedures

that dosent sound quite like what i thought (test kit to check oil life) but i dnt see why it couldnt work that way. the cleaner the oil the longer the life

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
( BTW, how much oil to i add? never done it on my yfz)

Thanks...as far as oil in the YFZ, it's just under 2 quarts....something like .3 in the crankcase and 1.5 in the tank....Those could be way off, I'll check my manual and get back to you....I just know when I changed the oil in my yfz, after topoff, I was just under 2 quarts.

bradley300
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
glad you posted, i thought you just put it all in the tank since its the oil tank,lol. i'm not quite used to this thing yet as you can see. thanks for the help.

i'm an amsoil dealer, mainly just for me and my freinds to get the discount. but since i can get in the dealer zone, i can cut and paste any info you need

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
...I also forgot to add....

...why do you prefer the 0w40 over the 20w50 synthetic motorcycle oil?

I'm running in circles trying to decide what to run in my 400ex:p

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
B-

I looked around for a quick answer to avoid going out to the shop but didn't find anything specific enough so, here's what it says directly out of the manual...

With filter change...

1.64 qt in tank
.31 qt in crankcase
1.95 total

Without filter change...
1.64 qt in tank
.21 qt in crankcase
1.85 total

bwamos
03-02-2007, 11:19 AM
In a 400ex or 300ex air cooled..

I'd run AMSOIL 20w50 air-cooled motorcycle synthetic.
or
Harley Davidsons - Screaming Eagle SYN3 20w50 (a great option that you can usually get locally)

I run the AMSOIL 20w50 in my 330ex.

I test my "oil" after every ride. And change it when necessary.

I use exactly 2 quarts w/ my added oil cooler. That's $18 + $2.50 filter = $20.50. About what it costs me to drive to work and back twice.. ;)

bradley300
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
bwamos brings up a decent point, amsoil has many many oils that can get pretty specific for thier application, such as oil made for air cooled motors

i run the 0-40 becasue t seemed like a popular one w/ amsoil users

bwamos
03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Aye.. the 0w40 is perfect for watercooled applications. And, good for most air cooled stock motors.

But a built 400ex or 300ex gets pretty warm. ;) So, the 20w50 is a great option.

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
But a built 400ex or 300ex gets pretty warm. ;) So, the 20w50 is a great option.

That's what I figured....thanks for the clarification though!

bwamos
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I was looking at the white sheets.

Mobil1's V-Twin 20w50 Synthetic would also be a great option for the air cooled motors. I'd put it above the SYN3 and right there with the AMSOIL.

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
I was looking at the white sheets.

Mobil1's V-Twin 20w50 Synthetic would also be a great option for the air cooled motors. I'd put it above the SYN3 and right there with the AMSOIL.

I also read the white sheet after you pointed this out and really, there's a lot of similarities with both oils.

I wonder how much the Mobil1 costs?

CannondaleRider
03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I run Amsoil 10w-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil....Engine and Tranny

I change it after every race + between race practice. Around every 4 or 5 hours.

Amsoil is a MUCH higher quality oil, and will allow you longer drain intervals, under normal circumstances. BUT, if your racing, or riding really hard. I'd change it every 5 hours or so.

May sound crazy to most, but racers usually change oil alot. Most change it way quicker then every 5 hours.

It's all preference.

A A R O N
03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm not hardcore into it, just hit a few local races every now and then.

I usually change the oil right before a race, then keep it in for the time inbetween that race and the next....unless I ride a lot between that amount of time....Usually it ends up being one race and two or three 1.5 hour practice rides per change....

03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Mines bad with in a couple hours I dont know why. But lucky me I get my amsoil for about a $1.00 a qourt. Lucky me.