PDA

View Full Version : Quad wont Start

SporTrax400
10-02-2002, 08:42 PM
So I took apart my top-end so I could check the rings on my piston. I wanted to put a 416 kit with a cam but realized I couldnt because I am leaving to the Corral pink sand dunes Saturday. So I put it all back together. I have a honda servive book for my 400ex so I know if I have all the parts. I go to fire it up and it started but ran like crap. I soon realized the timing was off. So I fixed that and now the quad wont even start. It cranks good and sounds good, but just wont start. It's like the kill switch is on. I know I got spark, I tried my old rev limiter, that didnt work, what could it be.
Also after I've been tring to start it for apx 20seconds, the carb gets blow off the boot. So that means I have compression, right?

I really need to get this running I am leaving for a week to go play in the sand.

Help!

Greg

10-02-2002, 08:47 PM
did any forien shyt get in the intake or in the head?? put the rings on right? turn your gas on from the pet cock sometimes ppl forget u never know uhh r u sure it's getting gas ???

Leo
10-02-2002, 08:50 PM
the first time you tried to start it how far off was your timing..?

did you hear any knocking type noise?

if you were more than a tooth or so off there is a chance that the piston may have hit the valves (not good)..

It should not be blowing the carb of the intake, it's not a raptor :huh

Leo

SporTrax400
10-02-2002, 08:52 PM
I never took the rings off, but they could have got moved. But I wouldnt have enough compression to blow the carb off, or could I? I have enough gas. If I hooked up a compression tester where the spark plug goes will that tell me if the rings are messed up? If so what should my compression be?

Thanks,

Greg

SporTrax400
10-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Leo, when it started up it sounded really bad. The valves might have hit the piston I am going to get the oil draining so I can rip it apart again. I'll continue checking the forum for help.

Thanks,
Greg

10-02-2002, 11:10 PM
couple things to check out.

Make sure the valves have not become too tight and are not closing completely. Just because its blowing back doesnt mean you have the proper compression.

Re check your cam sprocket timing position at "true" TDC with the t mark not the f mark and the lines flat on the sprocket.

If your blowing back into and blowing off the carb the it does sound like a valve or timing problem.

NTPRacing#19
10-03-2002, 08:06 AM
yea def. check the timing. your carb shouldnt be gettin blown off the boot.