PDA

View Full Version : hotcams

cc_z400
03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
do they give much power?if so which stage do i use without changeing a whole bunch of stuff

rockman
03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I hate to be one of these guys because it pissed me off when I was learning things, but try doing a search on here. There is ALOT of info on hotcams.

That being said I'll still answer your question. For the z there is really only 1 stage anymore. Most people think of the "stages" as you either put in just an intake cam, or you put in both. Putting just an intake in will give you more bottom-mid pull without really having to modify anything else. Putting both cams in gives you crazy pull from lower mid-high pull. We all know the stock z power drops like a rock in the upper rpms, with both cams it helps this out tremendously. However, I like most others put a HD cam chain in with my cams, as well as drz dual rate valve springs. The stock valve springs are weak and will easily float the valves causing CEF (catastrophic engine failure).

Well not really as short as I would like, but like i said there is much more info on this subject.

ZSNOW
03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
well first what are you gona be doing with your quad...if your riding trails they suggest just the intake if your doing anytime of racing they suggest both

z400roosteR
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by rockman

However, I like most others put a HD cam chain in with my cams, as well as drz dual rate valve springs. The stock valve springs are weak and will easily float the valves causing CEF (catastrophic engine failure).

Well not really as short as I would like, but like i said there is much more info on this subject.
Hotcams doesn't agree. they say the cams are made around the stock valve springs and they'll hold up no problem.

rockman
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
Hotcams doesn't agree. they say the cams are made around the stock valve springs and they'll hold up no problem.
Sure they hold up fine, thats why they are stock. BUT if you put a cdi on and start running the motor at high rpms alot, as in racing, the stock valve springs just don't cut it. I like knowing that my valves have ALOT less chance of kissing the piston.

cc_z400
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
ok thanks guys im going to put aftermarket valves in with both cams im not going to do much racing but i just like to know that there is a little more power there