PDA

View Full Version : im building my own frame. questions...

kicken250x
10-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Ok...last night I decided to make my own frame to hold a CR250 engine. I already kinda have it layed out on paper but not compleatly. Yes I know that there will be some vibration but I think I have a way to fix that... I think? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Also how much would some 4120 chrome-moly steal cost me? How many feet about will i need for this project? I have all the tools to bend the metal and welders to. I plan to work after school to get the money to build this and some next summer. So Im really in no hurry to get ideas but I just want to get alot of them. Are there any dos and donts to building a frame? I plan to use my 250x as a idea on how to build it, sort of like a jig I guess you could say. Im sure I forgot something here but i can add it later. Any help you could give me i would appriciate it! Thanks.

later,
kicken

worm
10-02-2002, 08:22 PM
dont you have to TIG chromoly?

kicken250x
10-02-2002, 09:02 PM
u know a price on that? what is the strength comparison?

Juggalo
10-02-2002, 09:09 PM
talk to killerkx327 on AIM, hes really good at doing motor conversions (hes got a kx525 tecate, tecate 3 motored mojave, and a ninja 500 mojave). he can help ya with tips to reduce the vibration.

Extremeracer167
10-02-2002, 10:38 PM
yeah u need a tig to do chromoly. If u are gonna spend the time to make this, i would personally pick a little bit of a bigger, better handling chassis to model it from.......250R, 400EX, 400Z something in those lines and make some mods to it. I dont really think there is a way to get rid of all the vibrations. William Yokley and Doug Roll obviously couldnt figure it out, i dont know if it would be possible. They had to strip his down every race to check for cracks on his Roll Chassis. If i were u, ide go to a junk yard and see if u can find a junked frame to copy it off of. Just something i would do??

kicken250x
10-03-2002, 07:31 PM
dam i feel stupid lol i didnt read the post right worm. lol i thought u were saying like a metal TIG chromoly lol but i understand you now(i was half asleep so i have an excuse lol) yea i knew you had to TIG it. i have access to a TIG MIG and stick welder so i have what ever i might need. i was talking with a friend today and he said something about maybe useing 1 1/2-2 1/4 inch aluminum tubing. he said it would be around the same strength but lighter (not by alot but a little).to me the 2 1/4 sounds a little big. i think it would look pretty cool to go with metal the big around but is it to big? bud fischer seens to have it figured out pretty well when he did joe derinskis(sp?) frame ATV SPORT said there was little to no vibs. anyone else who thinks they can help or just for some confidence let me know(need all i can get:confused: ) lol thanks! later...

Crypted1
10-03-2002, 08:35 PM
that R vibrates at idle, but when you get into it the vibrations seem to fade away.

kicken250x
10-03-2002, 08:38 PM
if ur talkin about joe's bike than yea but they said it wasnt enough to agarvate the crap outa u tho.

WYO330EXRIDA
10-03-2002, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't do the project because you don't have the expirience neccessary. You will probably end up with a lot of money into something that was built so/so

just my thoughts

MeatHead
10-04-2002, 06:27 AM
You got it all wrong. The only way to learn how to do some thing is to read about it, watch it, and actually DO it. He is just progressing to the do it stage. I say go for it, but don't be suprised if it doesn't turn out as nice as you would like. If that happens, save up for more material, learn from your mistakes, and try again. But I would try to model it after a proven frame design, like a 250R, that way you can reduce the chance of something not being as good as it should.

quadman21
10-04-2002, 07:09 AM
Making the actual frame wouldn't be all that hard so long as you modeled it after something good and made some improvements. The bracket placements is what would be more critical. If you are just thinking of copying a frame, save your time and energy and buy a used frame somewhere. then take that frame and "tweek" it into what your looking for. Just my opinion.

kicken250x
10-04-2002, 09:14 PM
quadman, i have experince building stock car frames and things of that nature but never a 4 wheeler frame. ive modded mud bog trucks, rock crawlers and many other things. (accualy helped do em all but still i know how to do it) so i think i could do this if i put some time into it and really spent alot of time laying it out and measuring and things of that nature. im still not to sure what kind of frame in going to modle it after. i guess ill try to find a CAD drawing of a 250R frame and build it off of that.yes i know how to build off of CAD drawings i had to build a house off of one in drafting class last year its not really that hard if u know what ur doing. does anyone else have any suggestions? thankd for all your help yall!! later...

Kadafiy
10-05-2002, 11:51 AM
If you're good on CAD then you could be really original and design your own frame. I was considering something similar with my dad but have no time.

kicken250x
10-05-2002, 02:50 PM
yea i have access to all that stuff at school (CAD, printers). i think my teacher would let me do it and maybe get some extra credit or something. im sure i could draw it but dimensioning(sp?) would be my major problem. any other ideas? so far we have buy a used frame and modify it, use CAD to make a new one, buy a "junk" frame and model after it and buy a aftermarket frame. what else could i do? what about keeping the vibrations down? i know i could ballance the motor andget them down to almost none from what that dude with the tacate/KX500 any other ways? thanks alot for all the help yall! later...

Kadafiy
10-05-2002, 05:28 PM
So far the easiest and most logical way, to me atleast, would be to buy a frame and do the necessary mods. But if you really wanted to learn something from the experience I would build one from scratch. It depends on the kind of free time and patience you have. Good luck and take lots of pics.:D

DEAL
10-05-2002, 05:32 PM
You might just be better off buying a frame from a 250r/250x/300ex and putting the motor in there because frame construction isn't something easy to get right.

kicken250x
10-05-2002, 05:46 PM
i would rather have the saticefaction(sp?) of knowing im riding something i built my self. it would also be cheaper than buying one and moddifying it (i think i havent priced the material). i have access to a welder for next to nothing. i think some1 told me chromoly steal was like $30.00 for 10 ft of it.does any1 have any idea on about how many feet i would need to compleat this project? buy the time im done i plan on having about 6000-8000 bucks in it hopefuly less. i am going to sell my 250 to build it. yall have me talked into a 250 or 400 frame to moddle it after just gotta bum one off of one of my buddies for a few weeks. ill let you know anything else i come up with and maybe yall can help me moddify my ideas to make them better. keep the ideas comming guys! thanks alot! later...

kicken250x
10-06-2002, 07:12 PM
bump