PDA

View Full Version : desktop comp's becoming a thing of the past?

Alberta_Qaudin
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
so i dont know about the rest of you but me and my GF both had PC's and figured wouldnt it be a better idea to trade one off to get a lap top.....and now i have a lap top that REALLY out performs my old home PC, and just kinda wonder these days with being able to buy a lap top with a 15.4-22" monitor or bigger for all i know, that run faster than alot of hom PC's and being able to get them for somewhat close to a PC.....well atleast i did why go with a PC these days

Pipeless416
03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
so i dont know about the rest of you but me and my GF both had PC's and figured wouldnt it be a better idea to trade one off to get a lap top.....and now i have a lap top that REALLY out performs my old home PC, and just kinda wonder these days with being able to buy a lap top with a 15.4-22" monitor or bigger for all i know, that run faster than alot of hom PC's and being able to get them for somewhat close to a PC.....well atleast i did why go with a PC these days

money. to get a laptop that can perform like my desktop that i ended up going with, i would have had to spend a ton. however, my school is requiring all incoming students to have laptops instead of desktops next fall.

CRich[814]
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
i dont really care for laptops. we used to have one, sold it, bought a desktop. the desktop crashed (thanks to my sister and myspace) so i got a super old emachines and use it. i bought more ram for it, and it does what i need it to. which is just limewire and internet explorer.

at my dads house we used to have a dell laptop, then the harddrive shat so thats gone. now we have a HP laptop there and its pretty nice.

i just dont think laptops can hold up as long as a desktop. and the batteries hold charge for like 30 minutes after their a year or two old. and laptops make your lap super hot. like a pizza does on the way home from pizza hut. yum.

Alberta_Qaudin
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
my comp before this was an emachine i loved it, but this thing was on sale for a very good price and the processor is alot faster

CRich[814]
03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
this beast we bought at best buy seven years ago and it was $50. we had to sign up for a year or two of msn. it has more ram and dsl internet so its actually fast for what i use it for. it freezes if you have like five browsers up and limewire though lol.

FHKracingZ
03-01-2007, 08:13 PM
i build my desktops. super nice computer for under $500..

mephyst
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I build most of my desktops... I have about... 6 of them that are still totally put together and will run. Then I have a ton of old graphics cards ect... I also have 2 laptops. I love my laptops for school/vacation/wireless internet is sweet.

People still buy desktops over laptops because if you want a laptop to do anything more than running basic windows applications you are going to have to dump some more $$ into it. There aren't many aftermarket parts that you can just throw into any laptop. If you are a gamer whatsoever you are going to have to spend A LOT more money on a laptop to get it up to specs. And those types of laptops (Alienware) are like 20pound bricks and sound like a jet engine running the whole time because the fans are trying to keep it cool...

Overall, desktops are the better bang for your buck.

Desktops aren't neccessarily cheaper than laptops anymore though if you are just going to run those basic applications such as Internet Explorer, Limewire, Microsoft Word/other Office programs... I see adds all the time now for a decent laptop with wireless internet for like $299 after rebates!! That's soo cheap...

72 chevelle ss
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
I build most of my desktops... I have about... 6 of them that are still totally put together and will run. Then I have a ton of old graphics cards ect... I also have 2 laptops. I love my laptops for school/vacation/wireless internet is sweet.

I build mine too. Me and my dad have the comps we put together, and enough boxes, motherboards, hard drives, etc, etc for maybe 10 other comps lol.

I personally hate laptops. Can't stand a touchpad, the keyboards are smaller and everytime I try to type on one every other word ends up being spelled wrong =\

Never switch to a laptop. Had one when I was like....10 that I got for my birthday. Kept it about a week, and told my dad to get me a desktop.

<DRS>GPF
03-02-2007, 05:27 AM
ive seen some tall claims when it comes to laptops, but a few benchmarks put them into perspective..

laptops are good for 2d apps and as others have said, itll take alot of $$$ to get one thatll 3d game at an acceptable level..
but take that same money and put it into a desktop setup and youll have a huge flat panel and a "hoss" of a PC to run it..

but keep in mind, big PC mfr's generally buy from the lowest bidder..(getting what they pay for..)
as a result, i also build my own PC's and im itching to upgrade again too..