PDA

View Full Version : Top End

ctay61983
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I am new to two strokes and I am fixing to buy a banshee to just plain haul *****....

I am always hearing people talking about "having the top end rebuilt" and "needs top end rebuilt"

What all does this consist of??? And is it a huge deal????

How often does it need to be done???

robjohn74
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
well i had 34mm carbs ,k&n fmf full,ported cages and i could run a 5.6 in 300ft at 67 mph.... i could beat all the new four strokes with k&n and full exuast and cams....and i had my shee for 3or4 years and never had to change anything ..just keep up the oil changes and pluges..............

banshee84
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ctay61983
I am new to two strokes and I am fixing to buy a banshee to just plain haul *****....

I am always hearing people talking about "having the top end rebuilt" and "needs top end rebuilt"

What all does this consist of??? And is it a huge deal????

How often does it need to be done???

A new top end consist of new pistons and rings. You can get the kit for a banshee for around $130 sometimes cheaper.

You should also buy a top end gasket kit $25

the amount of hours you can get out of one all depends on how clean you keeping dirt out of the engine, how you ride the bike and the oil/ ratio you use

ctay61983
03-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Cool....thanks for the replies....I have heard such mixed opinions about banshee's that I don't know what to believe...

Some people say they need a lot of work and are expense

when others say they are cheap to fix....

Guess I will just have to find out myself...

ohsobad_chevy
03-02-2007, 07:35 AM
You will not only need a new piston, rings and new gaskets, but you will need to hone your cylinder to ensure proper ring set. You can find machine shops to do it for pretty cheap. :cool:

Keep in mind that this only should take place every 175-200 hours, if well maintened during that time.

250r4life
03-04-2007, 12:27 PM
k, you said you want to buy a banshee to just haul balls...
i think a lot of the responses have over-looked that...

in the modded out banshee world, there are more that are unreliable and finicky then there are that are reliable and low maintenance... a lot more...

and, these $150 top ends jobs they are talking about are best case scenario, and rarely happen... especially with a modded banshee.. the more power you are crankin out of there, the more harm it does when something fails...

a "normal" top end, assuming you do the labor, is

pistons (wisecos are like 70 a piece) = 140
wrist pin bearings 26
gasket kit 30
boring 120

now, that is just considering it is top end... your head can get chewed up in the process and that is more money, and if it takes out your bottom end, that is a lot more money...

like ive said before... banshees are hit and miss... i got a good one, but i know lots of people who have gotten bad ones... and lots of people who have modded them and wish they hadnt

firefighterjosh
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
New piston rings, cylinders honed.....about it for a rebuild...but there is alot of little things you have to do.

If you have never done it before, have somone help you and show you how to do it that has before.:) Thats the way I learn anyways

TXATVRIDER
04-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I used to ride 4 strokes more than anything till a friend of mine told me to get a 2 stroke now i'll never go back. There alot easier to work on!