PDA

View Full Version : when is it time for a clutch?

n811
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I am wondering when I need a new set of fibers and plates? If its not slipping, can I still check for wear and tear? Its a 2002 400ex and still stock clutch, and I ride the crap out of it! but still shifts smooth. I am going to be doing some engine mods and wondered about getting a new basket and kit? Are they worth replacing? Or, are my stock honda plates just that fantastic?

Tater049
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
the stock ones should be good for a little bit. heck, some people use the same stock ones their whole life. But, if it was me, i would get an aftermarket one because, its always better than stock, and i just feel safer using something not from the factory. I think you should wait a little longer but if you want to buy everything at once, you should get it. Its better safe then sorry.

GPracer2500
03-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Tater049
...i would get an aftermarket one because, its always better than stock, and i just feel safer using something not from the factory....

:p

OEM plates and fibers are the best, IMO.

If it's not slipping then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to remove the clutch you can measure the components and compare to the service limits outlined in the service manual.

For the basket, just look for grooving on the basket where the tabs of the fibers contact it. The basket is one part of the clutch were an aftermarket piece is likely to be better.

honda380
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
i would agree that stock clutches are the best. the factory is trying to keep a good name, therefore they make good quality things that will last the life of the machine (or should). aftermarket companies already have a name, just the fact that its aftermarket makes people want their product. so they charge lots of cash for a so-so product that may perform great but for only a limited time. where as the factory makes a good product that will last a long time. just my opinion. but i will agree on buying a clutch basket, that was a good investment for me! just my advise, Corey

Aceman
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree with GP. If it's not slipping and you're not having any problems shifting I wouldn't worry about it. Look the basket over, if it's alright I'd slap it all back together.

wilkin250r
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I wonder how OEM fibers would work with aftermarket steel plates (stock are aluminum)...

400EXTRA
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
ITS A HONDA YOU NEVER HAVE TO FIX IT

416exriden
03-03-2007, 01:26 PM
if it is sliping i would put hd clutch sping in 1st b/c that will help alot, lmo

NacsMXer
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Tater049
the stock ones should be good for a little bit. heck, some people use the same stock ones their whole life. But, if it was me, i would get an aftermarket one because, its always better than stock, and i just feel safer using something not from the factory. I think you should wait a little longer but if you want to buy everything at once, you should get it. Its better safe then sorry.

Nothing beats OEM Honda clutch plates when it comes to longevity and durability. They are much higher quality than any cheap aftermarket plates so I don't see why you feel "safer" using non-OEM plates. I wouldn't make generalized assumptions like that unless you know what you're talking about.

Now the rest of the OEM clutch components (basket, inner hub, pressure plate, springs, etc) can be improved upon with aftermarket parts without question ;)

81 clark racing
03-04-2007, 03:12 PM
oem are the best id just put hd springs

Scott-300ex
03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
You need one if it slips or is hard to get into nuetral.

Race it 'till it blows.

gotwarrior
03-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
You need one if it slips or is hard to get into nuetral.

Race it 'till it blows.

I agree, I would ride it till it starts slipping or till it will not go no more when you let out on the clutch..