PDA

View Full Version : Need clutch help

10-23-2001, 02:46 PM
Ever since I got my 300ex, the clutch hasn't been working right. If I pull in the clutch lever while in gear, the quad keeps moving untill I use the brakes or give it gas. If I'm in neutral and I pull the clutch in and shift to first, it is almost like I'm using no clutch at all. It clanks and the quad starts to move even though the clutch is pulled in. The clutch plates aren't disengaging for some reason. I thought for sure it was the clutch springs so I replaced those but it didn't help. My plates are in spec, cable is properly adjusted, the basket isn't grooved, and I just put in fresh motor oil. What else is left? The only thing I didn't check for was for plate warpage. Could the plates be warped?

"BLAHH"300!!
10-23-2001, 03:22 PM
i could use some info on this as well

i pull in the clutch and put it in first and it bucks a little-
i doesn't roll like his-but i can see where it's leading-
this is my first bike with a manu-clutch
i lifeted the rear end and put it in first and the tires spun
like i was giving it gas- all the way up to 4th gear- in 5th it slowed
and slowly came to a stop-
if i turn the bike off--put it in first-- pull in the clutch and push it- it doesn't seem to have
any resistance on it other than basic weight
whats goin on here

JabberJaw
10-23-2001, 07:23 PM
It's possible the clutch cable is streaching when you pull on it. Try replacing the cable itself. You could maybe use some sort of tool and dis-engage the clutch to test it. The clutch is obviously touching, or has some compression on it, and is not releasing all the way.

sprt400ex
10-23-2001, 09:10 PM
adjust your cable both on the lever and on the block. make sure your quad is completly cooled. DO NOT keep riding it, it might be too late but you will need clutch plates. which you might need already

Leo
10-24-2001, 05:13 AM
how much slack is in the clutch cable..?

are you running the stock clutch perch..?

I doubt very much your springs are bad, as that would be more likely to make the clutch slip, not drag..

You may be on the right track with the warped clutch plate though..

I would probably take the free play out of the clutch cable completely, and see if it still drags (FOR TESTING ONLY, DON'T RIDE IT WITH ZERO CLUTCH PLAY).. all you really want to do is make it move the clutch arm on the motor more than usuall and see if it's still dragging...

Leo

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 07:36 AM
i had a freind over and instead of messing with the clutch cables play- i cranked it- pulled in the clutch and he held the-- clutch leaver on the motor-- in to make sure it was in all the way- it was- just using the clutch lever on the bars- pulled it in all the way- but he held it there and i put it in gear and yes- it still jumped when i put it in gear- ??? hummm ???
- vedy intedesting

10-24-2001, 10:24 AM
The problem definately is not the cable nor improper adjustment. I'm going to take apart the clutch again and check the metal plates for warpage.

By the way, the clutch nut that holds on the clutch basket assembly is horrible. Instead of having a washer to replace (you know the kind where you bend the tab to lock the nut) the nut has to be replaced everytime I take the clutch apart. (the nut has to be punched everytime it is reinstalled and it is $5)

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 10:30 AM
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU SEE INSIDE THERE
SO I'LL HAVE SOME IDEA AS TO WHAT MY PROBLEM IS

10-24-2001, 01:07 PM
I took it all apart again and checked for warpage. No warpage at all on the plates.

However, I think I figured out what is going on. The plates are sticking to each other big time. If I have all the plates stacked on top of each other, I can lift them all up by just picking up the top one! They are sticking to each other that much. Now the question is why are the metal and fiber plates sticking to each other that much? Maybe the previous owner added some sort of oil additive or used the wrong type of oil? One of the first things I did when I got the machine was to do an oil change. I think that I'm going to soak the metal and fiber plates in kerosene and then resoak them in motor oil.

Any ideas?

JabberJaw
10-24-2001, 01:30 PM
Yeah, buy new clutch disks, they are not that expensive.

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 03:00 PM
thanx man- you saved me alot of trouble
of takin em' off and looking myself :blah
i'll have to get in there anyway but atleast i have an idea what
i;m up against now-
- thanx later

10-25-2001, 11:32 AM
I put new fibers plates in. It seems much better now. Thanks for the replies.