PDA

View Full Version : Carb Problem

PismoLocal
03-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Ok here is the situation my buddies 400ex spews gas out of the drain tube on the float bowl of his carb when ever he turns the gas on, the gas just pours out of the drain tube until you turn the gas off. Originally I thought that maybe his floats were stuck down or gummed up but they move freely. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chin_Chilla
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I had the same issue with mine. Gas just spewed out the drain tube even when the little gas on/off was on off. I called Duncan Racing and talked to Chad I beleive. He told me to screw in a little screw that is on the right hand side of the carb (when you sit on the bike). I don't remember what the screw was called, but mine was almost all the way out. I screwed it in and wha la it worked. Good luck!

PismoLocal
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Any way you could find a pic, cirle the screw in paint, and post it on here?

Chin_Chilla
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I know I said the right hand side but I meant to say the left hand side.

Anyway, here is a picture.

See if it works for your buddy... Good luck!

400eXr1d3rZ
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
I know I said the right hand side but I meant to say the left hand side.

Anyway, here is a picture.

See if it works for your buddy... Good luck!

Float drain screw.

MO-EX-RIDER
03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
not hijacking but since there is a pic...the nut/bowl (main jet sits inside)on the bottom of the carb...mine is cracked around the base and drips fuel...i have searched and went the to the dealership tryin to find just that and have had no luck.....anyone have any suggestions/tips? im trying not to buy a whole used carb for a $5 nut:rolleyes:

Kickstarts-suck
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
not hijacking but since there is a pic...the nut/bowl (main jet sits inside)on the bottom of the carb...mine is cracked around the base and drips fuel...i have searched and went the to the dealership tryin to find just that and have had no luck.....anyone have any suggestions/tips? im trying not to buy a whole used carb for a $5 nut:rolleyes:

ive got a parts carb (250x) ill see if its the same as my 400ex carb and ill sell it to you

EDIT: it fits pm me with offer.

pigpin
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
kinda stole the pic and added a red arrow, on my carb i noticed this tube just missing, and didnt know what it was, so i plugged it off..... whats it purpose and do i need to hook it back up to w/e it goes???? where does it go???

thanks

400eXr1d3rZ
03-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by pigpin
kinda stole the pic and added a red arrow, on my carb i noticed this tube just missing, and didnt know what it was, so i plugged it off..... whats it purpose and do i need to hook it back up to w/e it goes???? where does it go???

thanks

I think it's just a vent, you probably need the tube.

PismoLocal
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
The drain screw is good i know its not that. The carb is off of an 05 and everything looks plum inside the bowl. I'm guessing that the problem is with the float. Is there any way to adjust it? I checked them and they look good, they aren't stuck but maybe they aren't floating all the way up and stopping the flow?

haggard fab
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
i had the same problem with my 99.. drove me crazy sometimes when i shut the bike off it would just start spewing out till i turned the fuel off.. i ended up taking the entire carb apart and cleaning everything and never had a problem since

PismoLocal
03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by haggard fab
i had the same problem with my 99.. drove me crazy sometimes when i shut the bike off it would just start spewing out till i turned the fuel off.. i ended up taking the entire carb apart and cleaning everything and never had a problem since
Well my buddie brought his carb over and I decided to take it all the way apart. Once I started taking every thing off it had a greenish build up on everything. I ended up using a whole can of carb cleaner on it and now it runs just fine, thanks for the suggestions guys.

bwamos
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Well my buddie brought his carb over and I decided to take it all the way apart. Once I started taking every thing off it had a greenish build up on everything. I ended up using a whole can of carb cleaner on it and now it runs just fine, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sounds like someone as some point was using "octane booster". ;) Just say no... :D