PDA

View Full Version : axle locknut

speedracer450r
03-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm in the process of replacing my carrier bearings but heres the problem, for the most part everything is loose or removed. C-clip has been removed, chain off, caliper off, but for some reason the threaded sleeve wont slide off the axle. the locknut wont come off the sleeve either I've done these before, just not on this bike and never had this much trouble. So my question is do I need to remove the locknut from the sleeve before the sleeve will slide off the axle. and even if i tap the axle to the left until there is no more play in the rotor hub and sleeve. basically the axle will come almost have way out. Its just that locknut and sleeve thats holding me back. It feels like there is a lip on the outside of the clip groove(right side) that won't allow thw sleeve to come off. Does the retaining clip for the caliper bracket need to be removed first ? Anyone else run into this problem? any help be greatly appreciated

Thinking about taking a small file to the outside of the clip groove just to be sure.

speedracer450r
03-01-2007, 06:36 AM
anyone????????? ideas thoughts concerns wtf I know someone has got some idea

QuadRacer041
03-01-2007, 07:17 AM
thats weird, if you have the c clip off the axle there should be nothing holding it on. it may be just hangin up on some dirt. try taking a block of wood and having a buddy hold it at the end of the axle were the hub goes while you hit it with a sledge hammer.

speedracer450r
03-01-2007, 07:21 AM
oh yeah and i have sprayed the hell out of this thing. it feels like there is lip on the outside of clip groove not big but enough to hang this up

atvrulz
03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
I think it comes off the axle in the opposite direction you are trying to remove it.

speedracer450r
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
the axle slides out to the left which is the direction i'm going either the locknut sleeve is messed up inside even though its never been off or the clip groove isnt leveland is jamming it up we'll see tonite once i take file to that one side. should the small lock nut thread all the way off the sleeve?

d3ktrix
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Once you get that ring out from under the sleeve the entire sleeve with both nuts on it should slide right off away from the brake rotor.

I just changed my friends axle about an hour ago so I can remember pretty clearly :P

Does the sleeve slide back and fourth at all? Does it feel like its totally welded in place?
Only thing I could think of is maybe corrosion or dirt.

Originally posted by speedracer450r
should the small lock nut thread all the way off the sleeve?

They only have to be threaded off enough to be able to get the ring out, after that everything should be free.

That sleeve just gets longer and pushes against that ring and the brake caliber. It doesn't tighten or clamp onto the axle in any way.

kbass24emtp
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I know what you are going through. I had the same problem you are having. I ended up taking a big hammer to it and beating it out. I did manage to damage the axle in the process. I just mashed the end of the axle alittle. It was really stuck on there. I would try using a block of wood and a hammer or mallet. To this day I still have no idea what was holding it on there. Even when I try to put the lock nut on the stock axle it will not go past the spot that was holding it on there, but I don't need that stuff any more. Thank God. Good luck.

4bidden
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Its probably just froze on there.

BEAT IT!

d3ktrix
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't hammering on the end of the axle like that totally destroy the carrier bearings?

Guess it doesn't matter tho since he is replacing his. lol

kbass24emtp
03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
You could also try taking a torch and heating up the axle nut and then try to slide out the axle.

trx450jason
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Are you meaning that you can't slide your axle nut off because it gets stuck around the grove that holds the c-clip? If so the area on the outside of where the c-clip goes gets mushroomed just from riding and you need to grind that part off. Its hard to explain but the metal on the axle where the c-clip goes gets pushed out enough to keep the locknut from slidding on the end of the axle. You just have to grind or sand off a small part of it. I went through the same thing.

speedracer450r
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
i got it it soaked alnight with some strong BG products and came apart with ease thanks guys for any info i ended up unscrewing the lock all the way off the sleeve then it all came. I did sand and file didn't work so i took the large nut off.