PDA

View Full Version : hotcam or webcam

n811
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
I am gonna have Rittercycle bore and port my 400ex. also do a cam. not sure which one. Hotcam Or webcam? He (Ritter) wants to do the webcam because it has a longer lift duration. but I will have to do a $300 valve and rocker arm upgrade. Is it worth it? This is a motor guy sayin it is. but is he trying to sell me something? or are the valves inherantly bad or weak?

zrpilot
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I think the difference is the Webcam is a hard faced cam that REQUIRES hard faced rockers. Whereas the Hot Cams is an iron cam (cast, I think) and closely matches the stock camshaft. They do not require hard faced rockers.

It is your money, but the Webcam makes good power and if recommended by the engine builder might be a better choice for you. Here is why I say that. Lets say you have a performance (jetting, poor idle, hesitation, ETC..) question and you ask your engine builder. He will be much more willing and able to answer the question because he has experience with the "recipe" of engine parts that you have. If you change that "recipe", your engine builder may be reluctant to help, probably because he might not know how the engine runs.

I know this because I'm going through the exact situation I described. I could not justify a $500 cam for my 416 build and changed the recipe. My engine builder will NOT answer my jetting questions that I have asked him 5 times over and over!!!! Kinda miffs me a little, becasue I have spent over $2000 with his company in the last year.:grr: