PDA

View Full Version : painting a arms??????

IMSROLL450R
02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I am gettin aftermarket arms for my 450 when i get the money to convert but I was wondering if anyone has ever painted the arms themselves to cover up the cra**y gray that comes on them stock???? Can I just get them real clean and paint them with high quality spray and clear coat or is that a dumb idea????

IMSROLL450R
03-02-2007, 08:37 AM
no help at all???????

m.h.s.c.#527
03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
pj1 frame touch up pint should work get it

www.denniskirk.com
www.rockymountainatv/mc.com

or your local honda dealer

strnge
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread, but which PJ1 color do I use for the foot brake and the shifter leever and other things in and around the engine. I know it's black for my 88 250r, but is it satin or gloss or case paint? Or do I just have them powdercoated. If so is there a black color code I shold give my painter? Once again sorry about hijacking your thread.

02400exracer
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
When using a basecoat clearcoat set up you always have to prep the eice being painted or it will look like crap. first sans the a arms with 180 grit sand paper. Then when you get the area smooth spray primer, using a urethane base such as PPG 2k is best, try to stay away from laqures. then spray the base color you want , and finaly clear. hope this helped.

m.h.s.c.#527
03-02-2007, 09:19 PM
do whatever ur heart tells u too lol

03-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I used spray paint and it worked really good. I put lots of spray paint on it and then put a few clear coats on it. Ever so often when it was clean I would put more clear coats on it for more pertection. My paint never chiped or scrtched. It was mostly on mx track but i went in some sticks and never had a probume. Only scratches were on bottom of frame. Just keep adding clear paint and the clear will wear "SLOWLEY" but not the color. Find teh glosest color. I used a hig hgloss black and it looked just as good if not better than powder coat.

clutch22
03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Can I just use an electric wire brush to strip the paint??
or does 180 sand paper work alot better?

strnge
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
You can use the wire brush at first, but you then have to use a high number (fine) sandpaper to make the surface as smooth as possible. Otherwise your paint will look rough. The brush is very abrasive but it is very fast.

You can also use a dual orbital sander. These rotate in several dierctions while moving, to keep swirl patterns from showing up. They are the ideal tool use. It's what the pro's use on cars when they are restoring them.

03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
Can I just use an electric wire brush to strip the paint??
or does 180 sand paper work alot better?
Removing the stock grey paint is hard. I would just get it sand blasted. I used a elec wire brush once and I quit with it right away because the whires kept flying off and hitting me. I never even removed the paint and the new stuff held on it perfect.

You might want to get a puddy scrapper or what ever their called. I have a dremel I used and it took paint off really good.

IMSROLL450R
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by m.h.s.c.#527
do whatever ur heart tells u too lol

haha thats what I did and your mountain view missouri rocks chipped them all to s***!!!!!!! Oh well I guess thats an excuse to get new arms!

djguestone
03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
To make life easier, use disc Sanders on the cordless! They make them in different grits. I used this light one when sanding my banshee headers. Powdercoating would be the best thing if you can afford it. Krylon enamel makes some of the best paint & drys really fast. Keep your surfaces clean & sand lightly between stages. You can do multiple layers but do them lightly each time. Don't go really thick evertime you spray. Spray light layers. Need some good weather for it to dry too!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Quad%20Pix/T500.jpg