PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh...

tonbelone
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, after reading the DIY oil change I now realize I have been installing my oil filter incorrectly, rubber facing in, since i've owned the quad. What potential problems might I have? The only thing I have noticed different since the bike was new is it ticks now, and every so often you can hear like a swooshing sound, as in the sound of a power steering pump on a car when turning the wheel....

exrider2001red
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
that doesnt sound good how long have you had the bike? cause i know someone who put the filter in and the seized the bike up like a couple weeks later

tonbelone
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
About 2 months. I left the factory oil in for the first 100 miles, and since then have put about 200 miles on it, but changed the oil about 5 times in that period due to landing in a 5-6 foot deep river.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Symptoms from incorrectly installing a oilfilter would be overheating, the motor would run rather hot.

tonbelone
02-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Well its been rather cool this time of year here in Arkansas till about the middle of last week so I haven't noticed it running any hotter then normal. I don't see HOW it would seize the engine. If anything at worst the oil wasn't getting properly filtered. It just seemed to me to put the hole towards where the oil was coming from. I just hope that ticking is my valves needing adjusting. I don't know what that swooshing sound is though. It'll do it about ever 2-4 minutes for about 10 seconds and stop. Like it's gasping for something and then it gets its fill.

interceptorz28
03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
My guess is that if anything, the oil is getting backed up or just not moving as quick as it should. That is how it could seize, it may be preventing the oil from moving.

underpowered
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
well the oil filter in backwards keeps oil from getting to the top end of the motor. most likley your tope end has been oil deprived, so the tickign you hear is probably due to your cam and rockers wearing due to the lack of oil. when i bought my 300ex the previous owner did that and i had to replace teh cam and rockers both because they were severly worn.

coryatver
03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I think there is a backup hole incase that happens

400exrider707
03-01-2007, 08:20 AM
You probably did some serious top end damage. Tear it apart and see. My guess... cam is shot, rockers are shot, and possibly the head, where the cam sits in the valleys are probably just scorn badly!

underpowered
03-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
I think there is a backup hole incase that happens

this may be, but i would still suggest atleast tearing the top end down just to be sure no major damage was done. you can pull the rocker box in about 30 minutes, so tear down and to put it all together in under an hour if you know what your doing.