PDA

View Full Version : are banshees good on the trails?

quads14589
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
what the title says, i was also wondering if they are alright to race on a mx track but all i know is that they have no low end at all, but how are they on trails?

Tater049
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
they are okay on the trails. By far not the best but they have good power on packed mud and what not. The suspension is not really made for the trails. MX is a little better, by i wouldnt use it on the trails. A lot of people like the shee on the trails and say they have no problems with it. 400ex is the best on the trails. The shee to me is only good for roads, and drag racing.

firefighterjosh
02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
If you know how to use the power in the wooods and set the engine and suspension up corretly it is a ok woods machine. I raced a banshee for about 3 years and now I have a 400ex and love it!

250r4life
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
it needs a lot of money to be good for mx...

robjohn74
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
i would take my 416 for that type of riding over my shee ..i use my shee for drag...

Tater049
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
of course because the 400ex is the best quad for the trails so obviosuly. The banshee is meant for the drag not the trails

x rider1291
03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
i love my banshee on the trails. i dont have any problems at all but thats just me ull hear alot of different opinions

JDMThoughts
03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I just got done riding a Banshee in the trails for the first time and I own a 400EX. The power the banshee makes is almost gross. The powerbands are usually like an on-off switch. The chassis isn't ideal for trails. Even some of the other people I was with all liked the way my 400 was setup and it's basically stock. I was even able to catchup to the owner of the banshee. I think Banshees are fun for sure, but I think the ultimate woods quad would be the 400ex platform. Just my opinion though.

YATES
03-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I have a 400ex and a banshee, and yes I usually take the 400 for a trail ride,but, I do ride the banshee in tight single track type non rocky trails....the difference to me is like riding one of my dirt bikes vs riding a quad. Its amazing how different the same trail can be on the two machines. I feel like I get a beter work out and have to be much more aware of everyhting on the shee, you are always thinking about gear selections, etc where as on the 400 you kind of just lug around with the torque.

My banshee has a single carb and 2 into1 pipe so there is about that same bottom you would expect from a stocker but the mid and top are really there....if you are hard up on buying a shee I would suggest setting it up that way.

Lastly when the trail opens up to a long stretch or a sand/gravel pit you are going to love life! 2 strokes really come into their own in these situations

700bRad
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Theres nothing like the feel of a big ole torquey thumper.....

Mxjunkie
03-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Banshee's do fine, once you get use to 2 strokes in general it's just like riding a thumper but with more clutch work. They handle fine but I find they like to slide around tight corners instead of actually turning them which is fine if that's your riding style you just have to be very aware if your going about 45 and you have to make a 90 degree angle, the banshee brakes aren't the best stock but with EBC heavy duty pad's it helps out a a lot! I myself have never had any problem's on hill's or tight sections on my banshee, it just takes steady throttle control and clutch. Many people come off 4 strokes and hop on a banshee expecting the same thing the 4 stroke just offered them for power which isn't going to happen.. The banshee is at best at high rpm's so in woods you usually have to run 2nd-3rd gear but you hardly shift it's just clutch work from there it's the same as a thumper just the clutch factor comes into play which some people dont like. They aren't the best thing compared to the 450's but if your riding style suit's a banshee well then you'll have one hell of a ride everytime you ride! :)

With the right tires, exhaust, filter, 10mm reed spacers, Vforce or boyseen reeds and I'd highly recomend the Pro-design timing advance plate. Those are a few basic modifcations you can do to make the banshee more thumper like. An axle and a good set of front shocks helps out ALOT. The stock shocks are very soft and in woods especially mx tracks they tend to dive in corners and make it feel unstable.

I ride trails with mine everyday :macho

x rider1291
03-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Banshee's do fine, once you get use to 2 strokes in general it's just like riding a thumper but with more clutch work. They handle fine but I find they like to slide around tight corners instead of actually turning them which is fine if that's your riding style you just have to be very aware if your going about 45 and you have to make a 90 degree angle, the banshee brakes aren't the best stock but with EBC heavy duty pad's it helps out a a lot! I myself have never had any problem's on hill's or tight sections on my banshee, it just takes steady throttle control and clutch. Many people come off 4 strokes and hop on a banshee expecting the same thing the 4 stroke just offered them for power which isn't going to happen.. The banshee is at best at high rpm's so in woods you usually have to run 2nd-3rd gear but you hardly shift it's just clutch work from there it's the same as a thumper just the clutch factor comes into play which some people dont like. They aren't the best thing compared to the 450's but if your riding style suit's a banshee well then you'll have one hell of a ride everytime you ride! :)

With the right tires, exhaust, filter, 10mm reed spacers, Vforce or boyseen reeds and I'd highly recomend the Pro-design timing advance plate. Those are a few basic modifcations you can do to make the banshee more thumper like. An axle and a good set of front shocks helps out ALOT. The stock shocks are very soft and in woods especially mx tracks they tend to dive in corners and make it feel unstable.

I ride trails with mine everyday :macho

exactly wut MX said. banshees can be great trail quads and in my opinion not that bad in stock trim. shocks arent that great but once u get used to it its one hell of a ride:devil:

and BTW MX ur banshee is one of the sickest banshees i have ever seen

oldskoolex400
03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Tater049
of course because the 400ex is the best quad for the trails so obviosuly. The banshee is meant for the drag not the trails

i remember you saying a week or two ago the raptor 700 and a 450r was the best trail quad, sounds like you think everything is the best....

djguestone
03-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I ride a banshee too & luv the performance. Like said above, use the clutch & you'll be fine.. Find the powerband & stay on it. I upgraded my suspension & went +2 all around so I can hit those corners at high speeds without concerns of rolling it etc..
I'm very happy with my Banshee but will like even more when I start with engine mods.

I'm gone once I hit the powerband!!!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Texas%20Cyn/TexasCyn007.jpg

Mxjunkie
03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey what aarm's are those, I have the same shocks I was wondering if you had to go thru the ordeal it is to put them on stock aarms?

djguestone
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Hey what aarm's are those, I have the same shocks I was wondering if you had to go thru the ordeal it is to put them on stock aarms?

I had to shave off a few MM on shock bottom & top frame mount for them to fit. Here's a better pic of the front end. Are you running the YFZ shocks now? They make stock A Arms sit higher.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Texas%20Cyn/bikepics-767663-full.jpg

Mxjunkie
03-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Yeah they do! It's kinda nice for xc but I've allway's wondered what travel a-arms work with them because I would like to get them revalved by derisi and move onto +2 +1 a-arm's because I would like to ride more mx then xc.. tired of mud :blah:

aaron913
03-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I ride in the woods with mine, no problems other than traction when the power band kicks in in the mud lol. It's fun and all but its more for the dunes or track, if ur looking for a woods machine id go four stroke.

and with this
"I feel like I get a beter work out and have to be much more aware of everyhting on the shee, you are always thinking about gear selections"

After i come home on break (college) and go riding, i get a liittle sore after only 2 days of riding in the woods.

As a few other said, if your in the wrong gear and try to rip, if your too high up and just slightly below the powerband, your going NOWHERES

I still usee the stock 2 carbs and the throttle is much stiffer than a single obviously, so that will take some getting used to and my clutch is a bit stiff with the springs i have in it

Toadz400
03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
The only thing I prefer over a Banshee on the trails is my YFZ. I'd take a Banshee in the trails over a 400EX anyday, found it much more exciting and enjoyable to ride the Banshee. What's the point in riding the trails if it's going to be easy?

flip73
03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I would never try to sell anyone on the fact that a Banshee is the best trail quad, but with some basic mods and shocks, they can be a blast on the trails. Just gotta get used to 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I have mine set up for trails, makes plenty of low end power for trails yet still has enough top to have some fun when the road opens up. It's stone reliable and all just basic bolt on stuff except a mild port. It's a good set up if you're looking for ideas. Love this thing on the trails!

KeHall
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I own a 03 Shee I just Put a 12 tooth front sprocket on it and now its great on the trails i lost some top end but in the trails u dont need to to go 70+ mph anyways