PDA

View Full Version : 250r questions

Ruby Soho
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
my buddy is looking around for 250rs, he wants to get something mostly stock, especially engine wise.

anyway, he rides open places and trails, mostly with me and someone else. ive ridden stock 250rs and there not to powerful stock, so i know he would have a blast where we ride with one.

now for the questions.

1, i have a 406ex with stage 3 cams jets and wiseco 86mm piston, (hmf full on its way..). if he got a pipe, would he wreck me completley? ive only ridden stock R's so i dont know th epower of a modified one.

2. lets say he gets one with a fresh topend, how long will that last?

3. its just like any other 2 stroke right? mix gas and run it like that right?

thats all for now

oldskoolex400
02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
1, i have a 406ex with stage 3 cams jets and wiseco 86mm piston, (hmf full on its way..). if he got a pipe, would he wreck me completley? ive only ridden stock R's so i dont know th epower of a modified one.
yea he will prolly beat you, but why does it matter, go out there and have fun, but i dunno how good of a rider either of you are

2. lets say he gets one with a fresh topend, how long will that last?
depends on how well he takes care of it

3. its just like any other 2 stroke right? mix gas and run it like that right? yea 2 strokes are 2 strokes, you still have to do preventive mait. on them tho, you just cant "mix gas and run it"

Ruby Soho
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
reason i asked if he'd beat me, is to see what kinda of power and speed it compars to.

lets say he takes great care of it, will they last as long as a 4 stroke would?

i know you can't just mix and run, i just said it like that instead of saying "premix the gas" etc..

but ya, hes movin from a kawasaki prairie 360, i dont think its that much of an upgrade considering i went from a 90 to my 400 and im doing fine

goldrims04
02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
where do u ride in ct.

Kirt13
02-28-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't think he'll beat you with just a pipe. They are pretty slow with just a pipe. But, the difference is......all he's got to do is spend about $100 and a couple hours of time and you'll be seein' his tail light. 2 strokes make a huge amount of hourse power from just bunping up the compression. Change the dome, a gasket, and get a descent port job......man he'll be GONE!

Ruby Soho
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by goldrims04
where do u ride in ct.

i live in newtown, you?

oldskoolex400
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
lets say he takes great care of it, will they last as long as a 4 stroke would?

sure will depending on how hard it has been ran, and when it was rebuilt, or if it was rebuilt at all, i would put new rings in it every 4-6 months though, and keep everything greased up, keep the trans oil changed, airfilter cleaned

but ya, hes movin from a kawasaki prairie 360, i dont think its that much of an upgrade considering i went from a 90 to my 400 and im doing fine

you have to remember 400s are pretty easy to ride, its a 4 poke that is geared real low IMO, a 2 stroke is a different story tho, it isnt quite as easy to ride.........

Ruby Soho
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
sure will depending on how hard it has been ran, and when it was rebuilt, or if it was rebuilt at all, i would put new rings in it every 4-6 months though, and keep everything greased up, keep the trans oil changed, airfilter cleaned

you have to remember 400s are pretty easy to ride, its a 4 poke that is geared real low IMO, a 2 stroke is a different story tho, it isnt quite as easy to ride.........

thats true, but i dont think a completely stock (or w/ pipe) engine would be to much for him. modified i do think it would be way to much for him. i do see what your saying though. thanks for the answers :macho

mineralgrey01gt
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
What is the normal maintance for a 250R? I know you have to premix the gas and oil and such but what else?

oldskoolex400
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
no offense, but get a manual, i dont have time to explain it, you should be able to pick up alot of info on here though

thats true, but i dont think a completely stock (or w/ pipe) engine would be to much for him. modified i do think it would be way to much for him. i do see what your saying though. thanks for the answers

have you ever ridden one? an inexperienced rider goin up a hill hit the powerband and catch traction, thats an ugly sight right there.....

mineralgrey01gt
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
im planning on picking up a manual anyways, but thanks for the help!

Scott-300ex
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I'd say a piped 250r will beat you.

Top end, if its stock or close to it, it will last a few years, if its built like nothin but race, change every like 15-20 hours, so it really depends but you'll be able to tell on wuts done to it, close to stock will last for a long time.

Yeh, mix the gas, keep usin the same oil the guy was usin when he sold it to you as long as its good stuff, and make sure you run the right ratio, I run 32:1

And 250r's like to be run Hard, I'm always rippin on mine cuz 2-strokes like that.

I suggest goin over the whole bike when you buy it, I cleaned every inch, went over every inch of the frame (cracks) and checked torque on all bolts and made sure all bolts and everything was there. I found swinger nut/washer gone, no bottom motor mount, headstay broken, head stud broken (so that meant I had to do a top end), pipe spring broken. Check everything out and make it in great shape and keep it in great shape.

Normal maintanence(sp?) I do is chain/clean/wax, air filter, mix gas, smell gas........LoL, that 2-stroke stuff is gooooood stuff, tires, and check oil everytime before I ride.

Tell us wut you guys come up with.