PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Rebuild

Brettym
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I need some help! My rear brake has never worked, When i go to bleed the rear brake, the brake fluid leaks out the black rubber peice! Any Ideas on why this is doing this?

I bought the rebuild kit for it. It comes with 3 O rings, i replaced 1 of them and i am having trouble finding where the other 2 go. I replaced the Medium one, there is a large and a smaller one. Are they used for this application?

My Main concern is when i bleed it, it leaks out. Any ideas?

miller821
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

I don't know what one you have replaced so far. But you can see the little one you are talking about as #27. #26 is also a o-ring. Hope this helps a little bit; but I can't really tell you why its leaking out, cause I really don't know what black piece you are talking about. I would guess your talking of the black piece that contains the parking brake thing. If so; I'd just buy a parking brake block off cover & go from their.

skeeter185
02-28-2007, 06:21 PM
are you talking about the bleeder cap #8 in the diagram if so the only way for fluid to come out of there is if the bleeder screw #7 is loose-push down your brake pedal once hold it loosen the bleeder screw air and fluid will come out when all fluid tighten up release pedal thats it-as far as rebuild ive never done it hope this helps :D

kalebarellano
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Get a block off. There like $8 on rockymountainatv.com. Thats what I did.

svahle
03-01-2007, 06:50 AM
If the leak is coming from the parking brake assembly, just putting on a parking brake block off plate will not fix the problem. There should not be any fluid in that area to begin with. You will need to replace the small O-ring around the piston shaft.

Here is a link on how to do it: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259671

Brettym
03-01-2007, 06:51 AM
The fluid is coming out of the the # 22 it ia a rubber peice. I relaced the # 26 O ring. Ts it hard to get the piston out and then back in.
Im new at the brake caliper so all your info is great i appricate all your guys help. Have a beer on me.

Thanks again What is a block off?

Brettym
03-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Going to chadwick this upcoming weekend!

How hard is it to get to that #27 o ring?

Thanks again.

Brettym
03-01-2007, 06:56 AM
I should of read before i spoke. Thanks again I will give this a shot tonight.

svahle
03-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Brettym - Good luck with the caliper issue. I hope the link I gave you will provide the info you need. Its not all that difficult of a task if you have some mechanical inclination and are patient. I went into the whole process with out any experience and I had no trouble. If you run into issues, just post the problem here and we will try to help you out.

Do you come to Chadwick often? I live in Bolivar, Missouri (just north of Springfield). If you haven't tried Deepwater yet, you should give it a whirl. It is closer to you (just south of Clinton). But, right now, it will be very muddy. Once it dries up a little it is pretty good. It has less rocks than Chadwick.

Have fun and let us know how the caliper issue turns out.

Shannon.

svahle
03-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Oh yeah, a block off plate is used to eliminate the parking brake assembly. The parking brakes rarely work right any way. If you remove the parking brake assembly and don't install a block off, dirt will cause the very o-ring you are replacing to leak prematurely. Do a search on ebay to see what they look like.

Block off plates are very cheap. Most are universal. Many quad shops keep them in stock. The brand really doesn't matter, but some people have had problems with the Moose block off fitting properly. I have a Moose on my 250r and it fit fine.

Brettym
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Shannon, We go to both. Most of the people i ride with, ride dirtbikes they prefer chadwick over deepwater. Plus deepwater has closed the north riding area. (side with all the big hills) A cop at deepwater told me they were planning on shutting down the whole area due to people dying.