PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a GasGas 300 Wild?

svahle
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Here is the question: Should I get a GasGas 300 Wild? It is in great condition, has very few hours, and has some nice upgrades (a-arms, billet pieces, etc.). I currently have a 250r and a 416ex, both of which are set up for mx (extended axles, a-arms, PEP shocks on EX, Axis shocks on R, motor work to both, both in great condition, etc.).

To get the GasGas I will have to sell atleast one of my existing quads. I don't know which one to sell. I could probably get a little more out of my EX, but then I would not have a four stroke and would be left with both quads being 2 strokes. I like having one of each and select which one to ride depending on the conditions and terrain. If I sell the R, I will have to come up with more money to buy the GasGas. I suppose another option is to do nothing and be happy with what I have. Finally, I could sell both quads, buy the GasGas, and put a little money in my pocket. Is the GasGas a good all around quad (I ride trails, dunes, mx tracks, and everything in between but I don't participate in organized racing)? If I could only have one quad would the GasGas be the one to have being a powervalve two stroke?

I guess I just want to hear some thoughts on what others would do in my situation. I didn't know where else to post this without getting responses that were all biased in the same fashion.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

400exrider707
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
The only way I would buy the gas gas is if you could afford to keep the other two. How much do you really know about gas gas quads? Where are you going to get parts for them? It sure would be a sweet conversation piece and they are supposed to be quick little buggers, but they are kinda ugly. Do you have any pics of it? Im not too sure how they are as far as reliability either!?

Ultimately if you have to sell one of the other two I say no way

STEVENJANNA
02-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I tried to put a deal together 3 years ago to race a couple of gas-gas quads. While it's a good quad the availability of parts is what eventually steered me away from them.

quadgod440ex
02-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Sell the R and EX and buy a 450r....... you will never go back

svahle
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the quick input. I understand that the GasGas is a reliable quad. Certainly GasGas is no new comer to building motors. Also, the GasGas chassis is based very strongly on aftermarket 250r and 400ex frames. The front half of the frame looks very similar to an LSR frame. I believe that many Honda parts will fit. Certainly the hub bolt patterns are the same as Honda. I also think shocks, a-arms, and hubs may be interchangeable.

I have seen the GasGas I am interested in and it looks fine to me (has a carbon fiber hood that really clean up the front end).

As for parts, I understand that there is a dealer in Arkansas that will drop ship parts to my door. But certainly, I couldn't run down to the local shop and pickup parts.

Any other opinions? Thanks.

NorCalRacer
02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
If you're interested, go for it. You might not get a chance to buy one later.

7 speed
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
The Gas Gas is an overpriced, wanna-be 250R.

STEVENJANNA
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 7 speed
The Gas Gas is an overpriced, wanna-be 250R.
And if Honda released an equally equiped 250r today it would cost........???? How much? :rolleyes:

quader400
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
dont do it man you have a great fleet already, if you were to do anything you should sell you ex and buy a 450r. i had a 250r and 400ex not to long ago and traded them for a 450, but wish i still had my 250r. i deffinatly wouldnt trade both those quads for a gas gas. and even if you dont want a 450 then keep your two quads cause youll regret leaving them. just my opinion

7 speed
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
And if Honda released an equally equiped 250r today it would cost........???? How much? :rolleyes:

Although you do have a point.

My point is you can get a used all aftermarket full race built 250R
that will chew up any Gas Gas for alot cheaper.

svahle
02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the continued responses. No doubt the GasGas is more expensive than an R. But its a much newer quad, has a great power plant, comes with premium suspension, extended axle, nerfs, Brembo brakes, aftermarket stem, etc. This particular GasGas also has a pro-trax style set up front end and Fast Flexx bars.

But, I am certainly concerned about getting parts. I did a little internet research and it is difficult to find a parts dealers. This is probably my biggest hang up.

Keep the comments coming. Obviously I can't seem to make up my own mind, so maybe you all can make it up for me.

02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
u can get a full blown MX 250r for the same price as a new raptor 350...(thats for 7 speed)

there is a dealer right down he road from me that sells gas gas parts and for me i could get any part i need, just have to order it (like any dealer)

i say do it! sell the EX and get a gas gas 300....you only live once and u could always sell the gas gas if you dont like it for some reason...the gas gas looks awsome, i have never rode one or seen one run though...i would love to have a updated 2 stroke quad....

bottomline is...DO IT!!

400EXTRA
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
DONT GET IT THM THINGS ARE PIECES

svahle
02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 400EXTRA
DONT GET IT THM THINGS ARE PIECES

I am interested in why you have this opinion. Do you have any experience with the GasGas? I certainly don't want to buy something that isn't good quality. Please give me the basis for your opinion. Thanks.

02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
i doubt he has any personal experience with them...test ride it and see what you think for yourself too

Tater049
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
i dont think that test driving it will do anything. You really need to just ask people if they have had it, or if they no anyone who has it. There is no sense in getting it, if it is just going to break down the next month.

02-28-2007, 02:55 PM
sure a test drive will do something, it will let him know if he atleast likes the power and feel of the machine right?

Tater049
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
okay the point was already brought across that the thing has power if you read back. The point that im stressing is the reliability. A test drive will do nothing for that.

7 speed
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
A freind of mine was a Gas Gas dealer and raced locally.
He of course wanted to promote his product and raced TT/ST a full season and could never get near the lap times he did on his 250R and the Gas Gas was 50cc's bigger.

They were intended for driving on they street.

To all you Gas Gas guys that think they are so great than please tell me how many national podiums the Gas Gas has made.

I rest my case.

Gas Gas tried and had a great idea but they are not race worthy, unless you are racing to get groceries from the store on it.

Tater049
02-28-2007, 04:53 PM
hahaha the grocery part is true. No offense to you gas gas guys but seriously, i would never think of getting a gas gas, i would rather get a kawasaki bayou.

02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
yeah relieabilty a test drive wont do anyhting for...but the feel of the machine will...and how he likes the power and suspension etc..you cant prove relieabilty on anything that is new to you...

id like to ride one, i bet they are quick...anyone know the max HP out of one??? i heard somewhere around 45 stock i think??

7 speed
02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
HP was in the low 30's.
I can't remember exact #'s right now but I will try and find out.

Tater049
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
yeah relieabilty a test drive wont do anyhting for...but the feel of the machine will...and how he likes the power and suspension etc..you cant prove relieabilty on anything that is new to you...

id like to ride one, i bet they are quick...anyone know the max HP out of one??? i heard somewhere around 45 stock i think?? exactly thats what im saying. naturally you will feel the performance and how it handles, im just wondering how reliable it is calm down.

STEVENJANNA
02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
What year? Another reason I wasn't happy with them was because in 04' they had a bad bump steer issue. I'm pretty sure it was corrected in later years.

svahle
03-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
What year? Another reason I wasn't happy with them was because in 04' they had a bad bump steer issue. I'm pretty sure it was corrected in later years.

The one I am looking at is a 2003. It has aftermarket a-arms that are a T-pin/pro-trax type set up. I have done a little research on the bump steer issue and it is certainly a concern for me. However, I believe the different front end on the GasGas I am looking at will help address the problem.

If I continue to be interested in the quad I will certainly want to give it a test ride before buying. I know this won't help me determine if it is reliable, but it will give me an idea if I like the feel and power of the quad. How a quad feels is subjective for the most part.

Thanks again for all the comments.

400exrider707
03-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by 7 speed

To all you Gas Gas guys that think they are so great than please tell me how many national podiums the Gas Gas has made.

How many have Cannondales made? They're still awesome quads.

JR3
03-01-2007, 06:27 AM
All your going to get here are biased opinions often based on little fact. Your best bet would be to find a gasgas forum and just look at the problems people are having with them what occurs most often etc. find dealers. Your best bet would be to ride it research and make your own decision.

7 speed
03-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How many have Cannondales made? They're still awesome quads.

Awsome how?
I know your not refering to reliability.

7 speed
03-01-2007, 06:50 AM
This is my take on the whole situation.

He is considering selling one of his quads to buy this Gas Gas.
Which means he has cash so he can choose what ever quad he wants.

Since he has interest in the Wild 300 (2 stroke) I am simply saying he would spend his money better with a 250R since the Gas Gas's whole point was trying to recreate it but failed to do so.

If he was asking about the Gas Gas 450 I would be telling him the samething only I would be directing him to a TRX450 or a YFZ.

How many people here has the lack of knowledge to say that anyone would be better off buying a Gas Gas over the most domenating quads in our sport?

Pound for pound dollar for dollar where would he be better spending his cash?

The Gas Gas is an "almost 250R."

Why not get the real thing?
They are going for so cheap right now.

How about this?

How much does this guy want for this Gas Gas.

Why is he selling it?
Is he selling it to get a 450 or 250R?

svahle
03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
The main reason I am considering the GasGas is that I have spoken to a couple people that have owned them. Both previously had one or more 250R's in the past. Both preferred the GasGas over the R. I expect most R owners have never riden a GasGas. I have owned a few 250R's and certainly believe they are excellent quads.

As for price, I think it could be bought for around $5k. There is certainly more than $5k in my current R. This particular GasGas is set up as well or better than the R I have. The seller indicated to me he has purchased a bigger home and needs to sell some toys (he is also selling his Seadoo). He believes the GasGas is the best quad he has owned and he has owned several quads in the past including 250R's and some 450's. I don't doubt his honesty, but I also understand he is trying to sell a product.

I enjoy 2-strokes. I am pleased with my 416ex. That is why I am considering a different 2-stroke. If there is a 2-stroke as good or better than the R, I would be interested in owning one. Please do not think I am criticizing the R in any way. If I didn't like the R, I wouldn't own one.

Thanks for the comments.

7 speed
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I am guilty of missing the fact that you already own a 250R.
If you choose the Gas Gas then I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated on how you like it and what you think of it overall.

:)

7 speed
03-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Here is what I found on it:

"GasGas 300. First of all, GasGas uses its 299cc, liquid-cooled, power-valved, reed induction two-stroke engine off its popular 300 XC enduro bike. This engine puts out a claimed 49.4 hp at 7,340 rpm. "

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/usedvehi...icles362807.htm

"Optional Width Versions 48" or 52" " ???? isnt 52" way to wide for pretty much anything

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articl...gas%20gas%20300

I am assuming the "claimed" 49.4 hp is at the crank cause my 48.5 hp 265R walked away from it on the straights racing TT.

03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
that could be a crank nnumber...its somewhere in the 40s...and everyone knows their are way too many variables to say witch was faster...weight of riders, traction issue, skill of riders..etc...but im sure the gas gas is nice

vosborne
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
i own both a 250r and a gasgas 300. and i think that the gasgas is a much better quad then the 250r ever was. My gasgas is stock and pulled 48.2 hp at the rear wheels on the dyno. i have yet seen any 250r do that before. i would tell you to sell the ex and get the gasgas. and as far as parts i have not ran into any trouble yet.

03-01-2007, 10:35 AM
i think high 40s is do able from a updated 300cc 2 stroke motor....if just yamaha and honda would build an updated 2 stroke quad

Tater049
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
hey vosbourne, is the gas gas as reliable as the honda, or is it even reliable for that matter?

Tater049
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
hey vosbourne, is the gas gas as reliable as the honda, or is it even reliable for that matter?

vosborne
03-03-2007, 03:45 AM
i have had my for over a year and i havent had to do anything to it i think that it is very reliable