PDA

View Full Version : stupid shifting question?

slo250
02-28-2007, 07:34 AM
this kid i know shifts his banshee with out the clutch??
does anyone else do this? is it bad?

honduh440
02-28-2007, 07:37 AM
a lot of people do it. ive never really seen anyone have problems from it but im scared of doing it much. at a race ill do it while draggin down the holeshot but after that i use the clutch

m.h.s.c.#527
02-28-2007, 07:42 AM
i dont on my granpas warrior after i get out of neutral

ilpadrino113
02-28-2007, 08:43 AM
i only clutch when startin out and when down shifting when i'm just cruisin around because it's smoother.

quader400
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
i think its called power shifting i also am pretty sure its bad for your bike but i guess as long as your smooth with it it would be ok. i have done it a hand full of times but it only cause i wasnt able to grab the clutch at that point in time, but i would not do it knowingly

ilpadrino113
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
power shifting is when u don't let off the gas when u shift, and yes it's not good for your bike unless some parts are upgraded.

but if you let off the gas and time the shift right there's not much damage that can happen unless you got a weak part for some other reason.

deathman53
02-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I have found that yamaha's don't like to shift w/o the cluth, my honda's go in just as smooth and my ktm likes it also. Let off the gas, quickly shift it up/down, but dont' force it. Done right, it shouldn't harm your bike. Don't do this with throttle, the pro's powershift, but also they get new transmittions every race, there is a reason why.

Ripitupfilms
02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
never shift down without the clutch.. timing is key i shift up on straits without clutch

30liveStar
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
i wouldnt recommend it... its common sense. Is it EVER smoother than using the clutch? No... so you are puting more wear on stuff than it is DESIGNED for ! that can never be good... :eek:

JRP
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
never shift down without the clutch.. timing is key i shift up on straits without clutch

ive always been told you shouldnt use the clucth when you shift down, like going into corners and stuff, jus nail the shifter down and keep on going. They said engine breaking will help u slow down alot more that way....

naw0029
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
As long as u line up the sinercizers in the trans. (it takes timing and u have to here your motor) you will be fine, i do it all the time. In my 270cc micro ther is NO clutch so u just jamn it in and usually only have to replace the grars once a seasion.

CDCHONDAS
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
theres alot of different opinions on this. I generally shift without but don't do it unless you know what your doing, if you have to actually push the shifter into gear that is bad. as far as sinchronizers there isnt anything like that in they transmissions, atleast not like car or truck transmissions, its alot of how the gears are cut as to how smooth they shift.

rockman
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by JRP
ive always been told you shouldnt use the clucth when you shift down, like going into corners and stuff, jus nail the shifter down and keep on going. They said engine breaking will help u slow down alot more that way....
No no. Engine breaking DOES help you slow down, but you want to down shift with the clutch and feather it for the amount of engine breaking you want. Slamming gears down will almost certainly cause failure at some point. You are taking your transmission and slamming it into a gear that is spinning ALOT slower than the one its in. My tranny clicks pretty loud when using the clutch, i cant imagine slamming it a gear lower without it. Now I will say that SOMETIMES I do shift up without the clutch. But I really wouldn't recommend shifting down without the clutch. Its just as bad as upshifting while on the gas.

killerofcrows48
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
the clutch is there for a reason, just get in the habit of using it

Scott-300ex
02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I shift without the clutch a lot, its not bad for your bike, just learn how to do it right cuz hell, I do it in my car over half the time.

And powershifting is holdin the gas threw the gear, then clutch it and threw the next gear without lettin off the gas.

Tater049
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I hold donw the gas only on the 250ex or z250. But, i would never do that on my yfz. I am not that lazy, that i cant pull a lever in to shift. I would never do it on my car either. Honda and KTM would not put a clutch there if they didnt need to. Your clutch and transmission parts, will go way faster if you dont use clutch.

NacsMXer
02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
IMO, I think it is a heck of a lot easier to just shift using the clutch. Whole lot easier than all this shift timing stuff. Sure, if you do it right it won't cause damage, but if you get in the habit of using the clutch you don't even think twice about it. Take's me a whole second to complete the gear change. I don't see how I could shift any faster without the clutch unless I was powershifting, and I don't diss my tranny like that :p

1fst400
02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
I rarley use the clutch up shifting. I was out on the lake messing around a cupple weeks ago and a guy asked me if it was an automatic!!

When you get good at it you just hold a little tension on the shifter, then you blip the throttle for a split seccond and it clicks in. some guys do the same thing basicly by holding tension on the shifter then taping the clutch with the throttle wide open.

Doun shifting I do use the clutch for control.

CDCHONDAS
02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^ nailed it, thats what I do

Tater049
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
why cant you guys just hold the clutch in, now if you do that then you always no that you will shift good, instead of getting it most of the time.

CDCHONDAS
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
probably because I had more transmissions apart than you and know whats inside, If it was going to scatter I wouldnt do it. how I shift is no different than using the clutch, you have to understand that when you pull in the clutch the transmission doesnt not come to a stop or slow down alot since the wheels are still turning 1/2 of it, all it does is release the load from the gears. try to shift under power with no clutch, not happening, if you ever so gently hold up on the shifter just before you shift and let off the gas a hair they drop right in.

Sjorge450R
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
i never use the clutch, even when starting from a dead stop :huh

btw......i have a rekluse...lol:muscle:

1fst400
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tater049
why cant you guys just hold the clutch in, now if you do that then you always no that you will shift good, instead of getting it most of the time.

its way faster. pulling the clutch all the way in. shifting, back on the throttle.

Lets say 1 second.

I bet I can shift in less than 3 tenths of a second. its so quick that a person listening cant event tell if I let off.

your holding tension on the next gear. then when you burp the throttle it instantly goes into the next gear. you only have to let off mabie a 1/8th of an inch and your golden.

Does it wear out the shift fork a little faster? Probly, but I bet somthing eltse in the crank case fails before one wears out because of it.

Tater049
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
next time i go out riding i will try that, it sounds pretty good and not bad for your engine. Do you shift faster than you would with clutch?

CDCHONDAS
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
ya I wouldnt condone riding around holding on the shifter all the time no matter what, that will wear things, just when your going to shift