PDA

View Full Version : Buying Front Shocks(need Info Fast)

EX_RIDER
10-23-2001, 02:03 PM
I got between two types I want to buy.They both seem to be good and never hear bad stuff about them.Can you guys pleze tell me some stuff about both types if you have them or heard about them.Maybe also what is the turn around time to get them?

1.) TSC triple rates PRICE 850.00
A.)rezzivors
B.)adjustable compression
C.)heim end joints??
D.)5/8 shaft
E.) sag control
F.) stainless steel lines

Is there adjustable rebound wth these TCS??

2.) Elka triple rates PRICE 750
A.)Hard anodized body
B.)16 mm shaft
C.)SSD option Like ZPS
D) adjustable compression

Is it better to get the rezzivors mounted right on the shock.

I do LOTS of XC but want a firm shock cause I do lots on practicing on a large MX track.Can i get them set up or MX and just set teh compression down and do XC?

10-23-2001, 02:18 PM
I'd do the elkas....if I was u...

trx400ex
10-23-2001, 02:44 PM
id def. do the tcs, i know people around here that have them and think the the best

CBRSLIDER
10-23-2001, 03:20 PM
I have the Elkas and love them. I got the triple rate, SSD, piggy back compression adjustable fronts from the Quadshop. They look sharp. Marty had them to me within a week. Not bad turn around. I have never ridden anyother shocks so I can't comment on the TCS's. Hear that they are nice shocks but don't really know. The Elka's are very high quatlity components. I paid $764 to my front door. Marty doesn't rape ya with shipping and seems to be a very knowledgeable guy. I have been doing some experimenting with the different setting and they all feel good. I'll just say that anything is better than stock. Give Marty a call, his info is in the links section of this site. I know that the prices are going up at the end of this month to about $820 for the same setup I got, so if ya hurry you can save a few bucks.

Good Luck,

Ray

Guy400
10-23-2001, 03:38 PM
I'm preferential to the Elka's but it's all a matter of personal choice. If you're willing to spend $850 on the TCS' you can get the full-blown Elka's with adjustable rebound and compression for the same price. You'll actually get more features with the Elka's for the money and they are an extremely good company to do business with. Never give any grief and if the shock isn't set up right for you they'll make it right. For $850 with the Elka's you'll get:
Triple rate springs
5/8" (16mm) hardened shafts
Anodized body
Heim end joints
Adjustable compression AND rebound
Self-saggind device (ZPS)
Piggy back or remote rezzies are are standard choice
If you do get remote rezzies they come with high quality swivel connections, not some cheap BS crimp job on the ends of the lines.

If you're interested in them contact www.quadshopatv.com
To answer your question about remote vs. piggy back. I remember reading in a chock tech article one time that the piggy back reservoir helps keep the shock fluid temps down which in turn provides increased shock performance over an extended period of time. They said that given a severe work out shock fluid temps can get so hot that you can't touch the shock shaft without burning your hands. The downfall of the piggyback is that they're exposed to roost which could contain a rock that could puncture the piggyback reservoir. With the remote you can tuck the rezzy up and out of the way.
Back to the fluid temps, my cousin and I were out riding one evening (he's got a 400EX and I've got my Raptor) and we did non-stop 3'-5' flat bottom landings for about 3 hours straight. Neither one of us ever experienced shock fatigue and performance stayed even throughout the entire ride. I touched the shock to really see if it gets that hot and while the shocks were warm, they definitely weren't scalding hot to the touch. The abuse you must have to put a shock through to heat the fluid that hot must be tremendous. I would probably recommend the remotes for safety's sake because I doubt you'll ever get to the point where the remote shocks are overheating where piggy's might have saved you.

EX_RIDER
10-23-2001, 08:15 PM
How much travel does it incress by?is it a lot?I heard they sag a lot more then stock.Will that hurt or xc riding?

AlaskaSpeed
10-23-2001, 08:34 PM
The "sag" doesn't hurt in XC, you just have to adjust frame height to make sure you can clear most obstacles. I ride MX and trails and have had no trouble with the SSD Elkas. The lowered center of gravity will be more of a benefit than a hinderance in my view. Keep in mind that the sag doesn't affect shock travel, so you don't lose any travel. I hit 30 to 40 foot doubles and tabletops on a regular basis and have yet to bottom out my shocks...and I weigh in at 230lbs. Hope this helps, JIM

EX_RIDER
10-24-2001, 02:33 PM
Message from allan knowles.

TCS is the way to go at this time. I tested the latest version of the Elka,
and they are just not ready yet. The valving is off. The TCS will work well
for both XC and MX with just a couple of external changes.

I am really stupemped on what to buy.I want to order shock with week and don't know what to buy!!The Elka's do sound good!

Guy400
10-24-2001, 03:25 PM
Who's Allan Knowles?

EX_RIDER
10-24-2001, 05:28 PM
Owner of ct racing!

004exkid
10-24-2001, 06:24 PM
Tcs uses Elka bodies the only difference is the setup.

EX_RIDER
10-25-2001, 06:01 PM
I think you are talking about the old TCS that they was a works body.TCS has a all new body now.

trx400ex
10-25-2001, 06:04 PM
tcs are superior to elka at this time...both use similar materials

AlaskaSpeed
10-25-2001, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by EX_RIDER
I think you are talking about the old TCS that they was a works body.TCS has a all new body now.

The TCS use an Elka body.

AlaskaSpeed
10-25-2001, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
tcs are superior to elka at this time...both use similar materials

trx400ex

tcs shocks (zero preload)
does anyone know how much the tcs zps shocks lower the quad?
thanks

Such an "expert" on how much superior TCS shocks are than Elka should SURELY know how much sag you get with TCS's zps?????

:huh

Guy400
10-25-2001, 06:51 PM
I thought I remembered hearing that TCS just uses Elka's body but wasn't too sure so I didn't want to be passing around false information. Nonetheless, I too, have heard that same thing.

AlaskaSpeed
10-25-2001, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I forget where I read it; but I have heard it too. TCS is a nice shock, as are many other brands. Heck, Showa makes good shocks for what that is worth. I just believe that for the money vs the quality and features; Elka is right there. JIM

Guy...I forgot to add that I thought your action trail pics were cool. There is something about ATV pics that just makes me smile. :D

EX_RIDER
10-28-2001, 08:23 AM
I myself, also hit some nice 50-90 footer jumps when I go to the track.Here is a 45 footer I love to hit.This is the one I snapped my swing arm on cause i got about 60 feet in distance from over shooting it.Landed in the face of a table hardcore:devil

Mitch400EX
10-28-2001, 11:04 AM
Anyone use the dual-rate elkas as opposed to the triple rate elkas? is there much of a difference? I want a shock that will stand up to the rigors of constant jumping and the occasional flat landing. The dual rates are like 100 dollars less so it would be great if those are nice shocks.

Mitch
00 400EX FMF pipe busted works shocks

AlaskaSpeed
10-28-2001, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the dual rates would do fine. Especially if you are mainly worried about not bottoming on jumps. I find that the triple rates come into play to smooth out the smaller bumps, ruts in the track or trail and the dual rates would just do that to less a degree. I could be wrong, but you would definitely notice a big difference over your stockers if you ran dual rates that are valved and sprung for your weight and riding conditions. JIM

400exJOE
10-28-2001, 05:14 PM
If I were you, I'd look around a little more. Custom Axis and PEP along with Works make some great shocks too. Just some adivice.:)

trx400ex
10-28-2001, 06:36 PM
axis are nice if you havr the cash, but i dont have that kind of cash to blow

004exkid
10-30-2001, 03:44 PM
I have the dual rates. Mine are different that the old style pictured on the web site. They now have 2 different springs vs. a progressive single spring. The over all quality is top notch. I have never ridden the tripple rates or any other aftermarket shock so I have nothing to compare the ride to.