PDA

View Full Version : 16:1 piston???

RAMIT
02-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know about a 16:1 piston on the market?? I saw an 05 on ebay that the auction said had a 16:1 piston in it. I didn't know if anyone had some info on it.
Thanks,
RAMIT

ghott
02-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Haven't heard of any production 16:1 pistons....

It could be a custom order tho....most comapnies will make anything you want...

With something like that, I would be very wary of piston-valve-clearance.

Got a link to this thing?

4bidden
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Isn't the DRG piston close to that?

Scro
02-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 4bidden
Isn't the DRG piston close to that?

I believe his is 15:1.

400exrider707
02-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I believe his is 15:1.

Yes the DRG is 15:1, but with decking the head about .040, you can obtain a very close to true 16:1 CR, with good piston to valve clearance still:o

RAMIT
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Honda-TRX450R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6724QQihZ007QQi temZ170085833825QQrdZ1

There is the link to it on ebay.

400exrider707
02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by RAMIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Honda-TRX450R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6724QQihZ007QQi temZ170085833825QQrdZ1

There is the link to it on ebay.

a no longer listed or removed item... maybe the item #? Just post the item #

ghott
02-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Yep...the eBay link gives me an "Invalid Item."

True on Chad's 15:1 piston...it has LOADS of clearance with even the most radical cams....

But....this is all dependent on the piston design...as Chad's isn't exactly a "Flat-Top" piston.

If that 16:1 piston is a flat-top custom....it might cause some carnage ;).

sandmanblue
02-28-2007, 02:07 PM
More compression isn't always better. Ask any real engine builder that has a shop and makes a living at building motors... not the backyard wannabees that so frequent the net....

The compression, combustion chamber shape, cam, desired fuel choice all go together as a package. Getting a big cam and matching it with the wrong piston and porting will cost you performance, just like adding a very high comp piston and then using a stock cam and porting. That combo equals destructive pressures, not hp.

Whatever you do, make sure you consult a qualified engine builder.

BTW - would you be surprised if a very well known shop could manage 60 hp with only 14:1 compression????

ghott
02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue

BTW - would you be surprised if a very well known shop could manage 60 hp with only 14:1 compression????

TWO shops are VERY VERY CLOSE! :scary: :D

RAMIT
02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Here is the item number for the auction

I am wondering how reliable this quad would be with that kind of work done to it...I would think it would need rebuilding quite often but I am no expert by any means.

400exrider707
03-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
More compression isn't always better. Ask any real engine builder that has a shop and makes a living at building motors... not the backyard wannabees that so frequent the net....

The compression, combustion chamber shape, cam, desired fuel choice all go together as a package. Getting a big cam and matching it with the wrong piston and porting will cost you performance, just like adding a very high comp piston and then using a stock cam and porting. That combo equals destructive pressures, not hp.

Whatever you do, make sure you consult a qualified engine builder.

Can you point out a "real engine builder" that didn't start off as a backyard wannabe?

Agreed, it all needs to come together as a package. 60hp on 14:1. Stock bore? No I wouldn't be surprised.

sandmanblue
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Can you point out a "real engine builder" that didn't start off as a backyard wannabe?

While I don't disagree that ppl have to start somewhere, they certainly don't start out on top.....

What if you found out that the guy you were getting advice from had never torn a motor down in his entire life? Would you take his advice seriously? What if he was book smart, but had little practical experience?

Knowledge and reputation is built after years of providing good products and advice. There is no shortcut.

The fact is, a lot of people just look for the biggest, baddest parts and slap them on their quad, then wonder why it doesn't make decent power. It happens to a lot of people. You learn on your own that way sometimes, it is the HARD way.

If somebody were to get into a motor as far as the piston and cams are concerned, they better have received good advice from a reputable shop - not just the postings from an internet site. That's an easy way to get led down the wrong path if you are not careful.

Considering the topic of this thread revolves around a piston with a very high compression ratio, on eBay, and that the original poster was considering it, don't you think that he needs to be given good advice from qualified people? Am I qualified? No. That's why I'm pointing in the direction of qualified people.

That's all I am saying.