PDA

View Full Version : oil in airbox

skeeter185
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I RODE LAST WEEKEND(down in harlan county it was freezing cold and we were pretty high in the mountains dont think that has to do with my problem but thought i would add it) AND SMELLED OIL ONCE AND A WHILE NOT ALOT JUST A HINT NEVER SAW ANY SMOKE.THE EXHAUST DIDNT AND STILL DOSENT SMELL ANYWAY I CHECKED MY OIL IT WAS A LITTLE LOW CHANGED OIL TODAY AND FILTER, WENT TO CLEAN THE AIR FILTER IT HAD OIL IN IT NOT ALOT BUT IT WAS HEAVIER THAN NORMAL IF THAT MAKES SINCE NO OIL ON THE AIRBOX ITSELF JUST THE FILTER THE FILTER AND THE AIRBOX WAS FILTHY(did not clean after last ride) BEFORE WE LEFT FOR THE TRIP I HAD THE BIKE UP ON END TO PUT ON SKIDS AND NERFS SO IT WAS ON END FOR A WHILE
DID NOT START IT UNTIL THE NEXT DAY SO MY QUESTION IS WOULD THAT CAUSE OIL TO DRAIN INTO THE AIRBOX
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST JUST WANTED TO EXPLAIN FULLY

skeeter185
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
any thoughts? anyone

ohsobad_chevy
02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Most of the time, oil in the airbox means that you had too much oil in the quad and it blew it out of the crank-case breather. I don't think that you have anything to worry about, just keep your valve lash set to specs, air filter cleaned and oil changed every few rides. :D

skeeter185
02-27-2007, 06:38 PM
cool-thanks for the info

ohsobad_chevy
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Just keep an eye on it and let us know if you keep noticing the oil. :cool:

Groves187
02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Now i could be wrong, But i am prety sure that its called blow buy, Ether the oil is making it past the valves and back in your air box, Or like ohsobad_chevy said about the breather...

ImplodedMindZ
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
or......... iv heard of excess oil in the air box b/c the engine oil is overfilled.

ohsobad_chevy
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
or......... iv heard of excess oil in the air box b/c the engine oil is overfilled.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :p :p