PDA

View Full Version : ghetto air box lid

the fat kid
02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
ok well ive seen a few of the airbox lids with a hole in the middle and some material covering so that debris doesnt get it well i was lookin at mine and thinkin i could take a dremel to it and cut a big square out of mine and stretch some underarmour material over the hole and staple or hot glue it on there and itd be the same thing for basically free, idk what do yall think or has it been done already??

johnsoninc86
02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
what i did was took the airbox lid off, then went to lowes and got some cut to fit furnace filter, and just cut a square big enought to cover the airbox. Then i ziptied it to the front hoops, and used the back clips to just hold the back down, it works like a charm, and flows as well as no lid. plus, it only cost 5 bucks.

z400roosteR
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
If your talking under armor as in the clothing, i don't know if that would be enough airflow...(of course it depends which style you get...cold gear , hot gear, foot ball etc..)

I have heard of people cutting the box and stretching panty hose over it, it may sound odd but it apparently works quite well.

05Z400rdr
02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
i know there is a company now that makes lids with outerwears on them so it runs like having no lid, but having the protection of a lid. i saw the add in my QUAD magazine, but i forget the company and website and my friend is borrowing my magazine. i will get back to you and let you know,

Landon

bountyhunter01
02-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
i know there is a company now that makes lids with outerwears on them so it runs like having no lid, but having the protection of a lid. i saw the add in my QUAD magazine, but i forget the company and website and my friend is borrowing my magazine. i will get back to you and let you know,

Landon

The name of the company is EHS Racing http://www.ehsracing.com/index.htm
Excellent purchase works GREAT!!!

05Z400rdr
02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bountyhunter01
The name of the company is EHS Racing http://www.ehsracing.com/index.htm
Excellent purchase works GREAT!!!

yup thats what i was talkiing about. thanks man!

Landon

bountyhunter01
02-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
yup thats what i was talkiing about. thanks man!

Landon
Make sure you get the complete setup that way you can keep the stock lid for when you wash your quad.

05Z400rdr
02-27-2007, 04:51 PM
heres the link for the complete setup just to make it easier for you guys: ehs racing ltz400 complete setup (http://www.ehsracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=75)

the fat kid
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
thanks for the link but htats what im talkin about its 85 dollars when i can acheive the same effect for maybe 5 dollars, idk i think ill rig something up ill post pics when i get a final product thanks for the info.

fasterz69
02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
dude i have n idea.....its called a K&N no lid at all and a outerwears pre-filter over the K&N. trust me this is one of the best mods you can do i do it to all my bikes

the fat kid
02-28-2007, 06:40 AM
hmm i already have the prefilter k&n thing, so i dont even need to mod my lid then?

fasterz69
02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
no if you have a open airbox with a K&N and the black or whatever color pre-filter you may have then your perfectly fine and it will protect from sand and dirt but if your gonna ride in water you probably should put your lid on but i never have. just be careful and think about what your riding in because it will protect in everything but water.i think everthing up to .00001 of an inch or something like that.

450ERRRRRR!
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I've gone both route. Teh pantie hose and I also got an outwears lid cover for my Z400. The pantie hose seems to work just as good as the $24 Outwears cover. I cant seem to find the outwears cover for my 450R so I just use pantie hose and it even repels some water. I used a dermel tool to cut out the 450R lid. Heres a picture of the 450R lid.

450ERRRRRR!
02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Here's the Outwears cover on my Z400. It uses velcro to attach to the sides. It takes a few tries to get right so there are no opening to let dirt in.

450ERRRRRR!
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Fat Kid, You dont have to have the lid or cover it's just a little Extra protection.
Heres a link to the Outwears lid cover. It sure beats the price of the K&N or ERS cover.
http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=92729&nav=4&sMMY=SUZUKI;LTZ400;2006

fasterz69
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
here is what mine looks like....i have the pro design air box with k&n and pre-filter

the fat kid
02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
faster z thats exactly what i got goin on under there too, so im ok with or with out hte box cover, ehh i guess ill ride a couple times sans the lid and see what happens, idk i figure itd be pretty difficult to get stuff in the top o the box with the seat on but i guess you never know. thanks for all the info.

mbjtlr
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I put the EHS racing set up on mine. I didn't buy the whole lid, just the kit. IMO $55 is better than a couple of hundred rebuilding the motor from debris. But I ride in wet and muddy conditions alot. I'd rather be safe than sorry later on.

fasterz69
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I have never had problems and i have thesame set up on my blaster and i rode in mud without it but you shouldnt ride in mud or water without it because then you could f up your bike.but it works great just dont ride in mud or water without the lid and you will be fine and yea its hard for dirt and sand to get into the airbox with the seat on and even if it does your pre-filter wont let it through so you can do what you want but thats what i recommend