PDA

View Full Version : 06 ER Mystery? Please Look, Need Help

schulte_85
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Here's what I got:
06 ER-Added Kickstart

Electric start throws a very weak spark and won't start machine

Kickstart starts great, throws flames through spark plug It is still at the Dealer

Everything they did so far:
Diagnosed Stator, Diagnosed Wire Harness, eliminated tether, killswitch, put new valves in and adjusted them, runs great!!!, all new starter parts including clutch and ignition, checked CDI with new one.

Anybody have any clues? Again starts and runs great on one kick.
I am almost tempted to eliminate the whole electric start system, and buying a FCR carb with the hot-start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not the dealer's fault either. Very good dealer. Honda keeps telling them nothing. I guess I did get all new starter parts for free.:p

400exrider707
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by schulte_85
Here's what I got:
06 ER-Added Kickstart

Electric start throws a very weak spark and won't start machine

Kickstart starts great, throws flames through spark plug It is still at the Dealer

Everything they did so far:
Diagnosed Stator, Diagnosed Wire Harness, eliminated tether, killswitch, put new valves in and adjusted them, runs great!!!, all new starter parts including clutch and ignition, checked CDI with new one.

Anybody have any clues? Again starts and runs great on one kick.
I am almost tempted to eliminate the whole electric start system, and buying a FCR carb with the hot-start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not the dealer's fault either. Very good dealer. Honda keeps telling them nothing. I guess I did get all new starter parts for free.:p

This is very common so dont feel left out in the cold on this one. Some people are currently researching/finding batteries with more CCA. I would say its just a weak battery, and even a brand new one is still too weak for that motor. Ditch it and keep the kicker IMO. 06/07 450R kicker is probably one of the best ones out right now.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
What rpm is the electric starter turning the motor at if it is low due to a bad starter or battery with a bad cellm, you will have a weak spark

schulte_85
02-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Colby, all new starter parts, and starter, dealer tried brand new battery

joedirt
02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Your leg can probably turn that motor over faster then that starter that why you see a difference in spark. can you kick start it and restart it with the starter?

lumi
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
adjust that decomp... than maybe that starter can spin faster and show a more powerful sprak... other than that if u have a ER cdi than the spark should be the same threw kicker and e-start and come on at about roughly 700 or so rpm i forgot the exact spec. the kicker cdi comes in much sooner... but isnt the issue here anyways.

most people run there batterys cuz they have there valve adjust bad, or decomp way off.... i would say 60% of the problems are here..

10% coming from jetting

and the rest from improperly starting procedure

-lumi

schulte_85
02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
starts with kick great, but then go to restart electric doesn't work. Electric never works.

bradley300
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
try a kicker cdi. ive not done it so its just a thoery to make the e-start start like it should. the e-start cdi fires at 750 rpm, the kicker cdi will fire at 350rpm. i know this for fact, whether the kicker cdi will help an e-start start better is just a theory, but it sounds like it would work

schulte_85
03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
bump