PDA

View Full Version : 400ex broken bearing/axle carrier

jb400exxx
10-02-2002, 02:08 PM
when i was adjusting my chain i noticed that the carrier was cracked in 2 different places. is this something that happens to a lot of people who ride hard? what aftermarket carrier is a good one? and how much $$$ ? Dual row or tapered. i was looking at lonestar, are they good? i don't want durablue.

jb400exxx
10-02-2002, 02:12 PM
oh... and it's a stock swingarm. do all of the aftermarket carriers for the 400ex fit the stock swingarm, as well as an aftermarket. i mean will the same ones fit all axles, and swingarms, cause i might buy an aftermarket swingarm and axle sometime but not anytime soon.

Razorback
10-02-2002, 02:19 PM
most all aftermarket carriers for a 400ex fit the stock swing arm. something must have gotten bound up for you to crack yours. of all the stuff i've heard happening to them, i haven't heard of them cracking.

tapered will last the longest, but allow very little chain adjustment and cost $30-40 more.

dual row are going to be significantly better than stock, and you still have lots of room for chain adjustment. i have a RAD dual row bearing carrier and am really pleased with it. the main thing i really like about it is the external grease zerk. unlike many others, it's on the sprocket side, so you can grease it without taking the axle out, and you don't have to drill a hole in the swingarm, which many of the other carriers' external zerks require.

jb400exxx
10-02-2002, 02:24 PM
how much is the RAD dual row? why do the tapered only have a little chain adjustment?

433rd
10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Get an RPM Taper Bearing Carrier! It will take just about any abuse you can give it. As far as adjustment, mine has about 75% of what the stock one does.

Call Jeremy at RPM, he'll hook you up with a great carrier.

jb400exxx
10-04-2002, 09:24 AM
*bump*

Razorback
10-04-2002, 09:41 AM
you can get a RAD carrier for about $180-190. also, check out herrmann racing http://www.herrmannracing.com/ or look on ebay, because he sells a lot of his on ebay for a little better price. call the quadshop (see link at the top of the screen) to get a good price.

most of the aftermarket carriers are going to be good. as to why the chain loss adjustment, i have no idea, i just know it's a problem with the tapered bearings. i would guess it has to do with how the carrier has to set in the axle, but that's just a guess. i'm sure someone smarter than me :D can comment on this.

oynot400
10-04-2002, 10:09 AM
I have a Lone Star on mine. It works great, it has been in for well over a year and no problems. The bearings are still good in it. However if you get one make sure that it has an external grease zerk on it. It is a pain to grease it when you have to take it all apart. :( But it is a good time to inspect your bearings.
Good luck.......

two_baaalls
10-04-2002, 12:46 PM
The tapered bearing race (or outside of bearing) is larger than the outside of the plain bearings. This makes for less "offset" or adjustability of the axle center (which tightens or loosens the chain).

Razorback
10-04-2002, 12:57 PM
there ya go...thanks for the explanation...