PDA

View Full Version : high handlebars

ny300exrider
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
does anyone run high handlebars on their quad? right now im running some universal low pro taper fats with the little universal clamp/risers and after watching a video of myself riding for the first time, it seems like my riding position is screwed. im almost 6'2 and ride agressive and im using low bend bars....doesnt make much sense. at my local riding spot, i saw a guy with a z rocking a set of high renthal fats and it looked really comfortable. the snowmobile guys all buy risers and bars to help position when standing up/riding aggresive, so im thinking maybe i should do the same. does anyone have any pictures of their quad with different bends ranging from say atv mid and up? also another concern is the cables....does anyone know if cable length can be used up just with higher bend bars.....possibly gain some length by rerouting cables??

thanks alot for the help.
heres a pic of my current setup..im pushing 6'1

tim colston
02-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Here are some pro taper highs. I am about 6'2.5"

400exrider707
02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
I used to use 250R bend renthals that were pretty high. It was really comfy for jumping and such, but after I put on my first set of low bars, I realized how slow I was in corners. These low bars let me hang off and rail corners with way more confidence. However now jumping I feel crouched. I'm not trying to find a nice happy medium.

ZSNOW
02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
im running cr highs on my blaster im about 5 10 and im pretty comfortable just when i stand im a little crouched...but then again im one a blaster:D

ny300exrider
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
anyone got pics of atv mid or atv high fat bars? im thinking its worth the change, right now im very hunched when standing and jumping.

Flynbryan19
02-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I had a set of the Pro-taper Atv High bend bars, and I would steer you clear of them unless you like a real swept back bar. They seemed to cramp me up too bad in the corners.

I personally would recommend a Cr high bend bar with a taller stem. That way you get the height you need and a straight bar. I have bars that are a Cr High bend style and feel I have MUCH more room now. I would definately recommend that you get a taller setup though. ;)

ny300exrider
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I had a set of the Pro-taper Atv High bend bars, and I would steer you clear of them unless you like a real swept back bar. They seemed to cramp me up too bad in the corners.

I personally would recommend a Cr high bend bar with a taller stem. That way you get the height you need and a straight bar. I have bars that are a Cr High bend style and feel I have MUCH more room now. I would definately recommend that you get a taller setup though. ;) thanks ALOT for the post. thats exactly what i didnt want-alot of backsweep. i like the amount of sweep my bars have, just need them higher. what about a new bar riser like a rox setup. does anyone know how much of a rise i could do without needing new cables? maybe a +2 or 3in riser??

400exrider707
02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
thanks ALOT for the post. thats exactly what i didnt want-alot of backsweep. i like the amount of sweep my bars have, just need them higher. what about a new bar riser like a rox setup. does anyone know how much of a rise i could do without needing new cables? maybe a +2 or 3in riser??

This is exactly what I have found so far as well. My old renthal 250R bends were tallll! This also made them pretty easy to twist in the clamp with all the extra leverage. I have cr high fatbar renthals now, much less sweep, and I plan on getting a +2 stem, hopefully that should be a nice happy medium for me. I didn't have any problem mounting everything on my 250R bars which were pretty darn high, but I think the hotstart cable tightens way up when you turn, acutally causing the motor to rev a few hundred rpms higher. I dont think Ill have that problem now with the CR highs and a +2 stem. I hope!

tim colston
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19

I personally would recommend a Cr high bend bar with a taller stem. That way you get the height you need and a straight bar. I have bars that are a Cr High bend style and feel I have MUCH more room now. I would definately recommend that you get a taller setup though. ;)

I have noticed that, atv high bends, I went to a +2 stem and it seems to handle much better. It sounds as though it is dependent on the rider and/or style. I think that the only sure thing is a +1 or +2 stem is needed.

rider250ex
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I run mini works bend on my bike. They are probably the tallest bars but pretty skinny. I love them

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/dracutrider/post-261-1147314033.jpg

NacsMXer
02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
I run mini works bend on my bike. They are probably the tallest bars but pretty skinny. I love them

I run the same bend but in Fly Aerotapered...they call it "mini high" bend. This is the same bend a lot of the sled guys are using (Burandt, Quinlan, etc). They are one of the tallest bends out there next to the CR double highs. They are also a bit narrower from end to end but I like that since my arms aren't super long. If you want bars that are a bit wider and more swept back go with the CR Double Hi's.

I tried several sets of TAG/Renthal bars in CR HI and SX bend but these Fly's are my favorite bar none. Instead of being bent over the bars and all cramped up, you are in a more upright position which translates into better control of your machine. You do sacrifice a little bit while cornering but it really does not affect me too much to bother me.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/pe20e2f01315975fd8e7e13b2d6eb650a/f38ff994.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/p6b8646a10f0ddb400d7a324d832e25b3/f38ff997.jpg

ny300exrider
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I run the same bend but in Fly Aerotapered...they call it "mini high" bend. This is the same bend a lot of the sled guys are using (Burandt, Quinlan, etc). They are one of the tallest bends out there next to the CR double highs. They are also a bit narrower from end to end but I like that since my arms aren't super long. If you want bars that are a bit wider and more swept back go with the CR Double Hi's.

I tried several sets of TAG/Renthal bars in CR HI and SX bend but these Fly's are my favorite bar none. Instead of being bent over the bars and all cramped up, you are in a more upright position which translates into better control of your machine. You do sacrifice a little bit while cornering but it really does not affect me too much to bother me.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/pe20e2f01315975fd8e7e13b2d6eb650a/f38ff994.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/p6b8646a10f0ddb400d7a324d832e25b3/f38ff997.jpg those look alot like what i was looking for! where did you get these bars from?? its between either keeping my protapers and getting a rox 2in riser($80+) or a new set of bars and sell the protapers(better deal). im definitly liking those flys though.

NacsMXer
02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I got them from Hoppke Racing.com, they were a snowmobile parts shop but their website isn't up anymore. Still, you can get them anywhere where Fly handlebars are sold.

I just found this real quick: http://store.azmusa.com/flybar-aerotap.html

They're actually "mini" bend my mistake. You can get them in silver or gunmetal, i've got the gunmetals on mine FYI :)

I like these bars so much i'm considering putting their "50 bar" bend on my KLX 110. Would be cool to have matching bars on my quad and pitbike :cool:

ny300exrider
02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
awsome man thanks so much, im gonna go with some black minis and hopefully thatll help my riding posture....im sure it will compared to the universal low bend bars that im running now.

NacsMXer
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Sure, one last thing to mention. They are more narrow than most bars out there so your controls will be a little more cramped. You can get them to work how you like it but it will take a little adjustment. I had to get longer bolts for my killswitch and i have a couple zip ties around it because it is sitting on the part where it bends. Just gotta improvise a little :p

400exrider707
02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Sure, one last thing to mention. They are more narrow than most bars out there so your controls will be a little more cramped. You can get them to work how you like it but it will take a little adjustment. I had to get longer bolts for my killswitch and i have a couple zip ties around it because it is sitting on the part where it bends. Just gotta improvise a little :p

I would get those right now if I had a place to put my handgaurds:ermm:

NacsMXer
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I would get those right now if I had a place to put my handgaurds:ermm:

Yeah I know. Some handguards mount to the bolts on your clutch/brake levers but some actually clamp to the bar and that's gonna be a problem. You could get the CR double hi's and you shouldn't have problems....get the best of both worlds. If you study the bar charts you will see that they have just about the same height as the mini's, but with much more width and a little more sweep.

ny300exrider
02-28-2007, 04:20 AM
that brings up a good point.....i dont think i would have enough room for my controls with the minis. i have the stock black light switch, powermadds, the levers, and a tether. i found a bend that may be good for me-renthal fat carmichael high.

heres the specs:
Carmichael High Bend width:31.57" heigt:4.49" sweep:2.13"

my current setup: width:32.00" height:2.88" sweep: 2.24"

they seem pretty similiar other than being about 2" higher. backsweep is close to mine(dont like alot of it) and the width seems reasonable too.

anyone run this bend?

ny300exrider
02-28-2007, 04:21 AM
and the tag t2 cr double high specs for comparisn:

width 31.69" height 4.53" sweep 2.44"

Flynbryan19
02-28-2007, 06:25 AM
I would not recommend a mini bar. With them being so narrow I felt I didn't have enough leverage when turning the front end. My buddy had them(mini bars) on a dirtbike. I can't imagine how much harder it would be on a quad.

The Cr Double highs are also a more swept back design. It is certainly up to you and your money, but I stick by my original statement. I think you'd be most happy with a Cr high bend and a +1 or +2 stem(or some sort of riser).

Or if your wanting to save money..... Keep the bars you have(since you like them) and just get a taller stem. ;)

NacsMXer
02-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
that brings up a good point.....i dont think i would have enough room for my controls with the minis. i have the stock black light switch, powermadds, the levers, and a tether. i found a bend that may be good for me-renthal fat carmichael high.

heres the specs:
Carmichael High Bend width:31.57" heigt:4.49" sweep:2.13"

my current setup: width:32.00" height:2.88" sweep: 2.24"

they seem pretty similiar other than being about 2" higher. backsweep is close to mine(dont like alot of it) and the width seems reasonable too.

anyone run this bend?

That seems like a good choice. Only a half inch more narrow than what you have with relatively the same sweep. Should feel natural to you since you are already used to those measurements. The 2 inch increase in rise should really help you out.

ny300exrider
02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
thats what im thinking nacs, seems like its a great choice since the specs are close to my current bars(which feel great) just higher which i need.

im going to try the carmichael highs and i will definitly respond back once i get them and let you guys know how it worked out

thanks for all of the responses.