PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tryed Hinsons Slipper clutch

Ripitupfilms
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Does or has any one used the HInson slipper clutch on there quads...

what do you think

Ripitupfilms
02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
bizump

RandRRrider
02-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Its a grand for it. I wouldn't even buy it. In AMA Superbike and other classes like it, you definately don't want that rear tires locking up. Maybe TT and Super Motard it would be bennificial. I would just get a full Hinson clutch.

scruff_mcruff
02-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by RandRRrider
Its a grand for it. I wouldn't even buy it. In AMA Superbike and other classes like it, you definately don't want that rear tires locking up. Maybe TT and Super Motard it would be bennificial. I would just get a full Hinson clutch. its a slipper clutch not a lock up clutch. that means everytime you pull the clutch in it will slip when you release the lever, a pre determined amount. thats why the superbikes use it so they dont spin the tire coming off a turn and top side themselves.

Ace Sixx
02-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by scruff_mcruff
its a slipper clutch not a lock up clutch. that means everytime you pull the clutch in it will slip when you release the lever, a pre determined amount. thats why the superbikes use it so they dont spin the tire coming off a turn and top side themselves.

A slipper clutch's purpose is to provide clutch slip when braking and downshifting.

bwamos
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Correct.. it basically eliminates engine braking. Takes a while to get used to.

scruff_mcruff
02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
A slipper clutch's purpose is to provide clutch slip when braking and downshifting.

then why do drag racers use slipper clutches? what your talking about is a by-product of what they are designed to do.

30liveStar
02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
slipper clutches (on streetbikes at least) dont affect the engine braking at all... You can only tell the difference when the tire would normally "skip" on the pavement - down shifting mostly. They also sound like change in a washer/dryer... You have to be a GOOD rider to benefit from one, i wouldnt waste the $.