PDA

View Full Version : Insight on old 250R racing products

250Renvy
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I was looking for some old dirtwheels looking for old Ceet ads (unable to find them) but came across an ad for EEE enterprises - making complete frame setups and JP racing as well as some old Roll design frames as well as many 250R conversions - one was a kawasaki 750 motor another had a 350X big bore motor with independent rear suspension and the list goes on.

What happened to these old companies and are there any remnants of their products around. Were all these conversions just parted out and destroyed?

Any insight would be great.

Cr85rRida
02-26-2007, 01:26 PM
PM box is full

7 speed
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
JP racing became Lonestar I beleive.

800screws
02-26-2007, 03:44 PM
i've always wondered too...looking back on some old dirtwheels i have, there were atk quads...jp lt250/500 no link, trx front end quads... i would love to get my hands on one of them!

RichM1983
02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
You guys need to get some scans of these old articles. I'd love to see em.

pimpt250r
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 7 speed
JP racing became Lonestar I beleive.
your right JP racing is now LSR

800screws
02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
don't u think they would keep their jigs for that old stuff? why trash them after putting time into building them...

SuperChris
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a "Mr Ed" EEE cylinder that supposedly won the Baja 500. I took a championship win in an Outlaw Kart with it. Not the absolute best porting, but better than most.

norcalduner
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I still ride my JP no link frame circa 1994 . It was originally setup for MX and did so for quite a few years but after having more than a few areas rewelded :( over its lifetime, I had it reassigned currently ONLY for dune duty:D

jimanold22
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
I have a 92 jp framed Suzuki Lt250r,It's got the 250r geometry etc,even uses 250r spindles and calipers.I think the a-arms may be 250r as well,But i don't have any to compare to.The stem is laeger as well as the swingarm,but I'm not sure if there custom to fit the frame or honda/suzuki.

800screws
02-27-2007, 04:01 AM
is that the lt u got off of ebay? i kinda thought about it, and for the price it went for and the condition it was in, why not just buy a 250r? i mean that's what it is with a lt250r engine....but don't get me wrong i love suzuki's! just thought the bidding went high. there is a guy in upstate ny that has a jp lt250r. he might let this guy i know borrow the frame to make a jig...hopefully one day.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I was looking for some old dirtwheels looking for old Ceet ads (unable to find them) but came across an ad for EEE enterprises - making complete frame setups and JP racing as well as some old Roll design frames as well as many 250R conversions - one was a kawasaki 750 motor another had a 350X big bore motor with independent rear suspension and the list goes on.

What happened to these old companies and are there any remnants of their products around. Were all these conversions just parted out and destroyed?

Any insight would be great.

What happened,,,,,

OEM MFGs come out with all these new 4 strokes & all those old companys that helped keep the atv thing going for those years when the factorys didnt want to have anything to do with it & they ended up getting kicked in the ditch & forgot about from most everybody buying atvs.

I would think it would be foolist for them to do away with their building jigs for those frames, but after how they were treated, I realy couldnt blame them.
Neil

250Renvy
02-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
What happened,,,,,

OEM MFGs come out with all these new 4 strokes & all those old companys that helped keep the atv thing going for those years when the factorys didnt want to have anything to do with it & they ended up getting kicked in the ditch & forgot about from most everybody buying atvs.

I would think it would be foolist for them to do away with their building jigs for those frames, but after how they were treated, I realy couldnt blame them.
Neil

Neil, I knew about JP being bought out by lonestar and the fourstoke thing definetly dried up the market for a lot of 250R aftermarkets BUT I'm wondering what happened to all their products. I can only assume that there were a ton of JP frames and RPM frames and whoever else making frames and parts, has anybody ever seen them, are they still kicking around in somebodies garage? What about the evolution of their products - example Lonestar frames are now better than they used to be. Laeger started out with stock replacement and then developed cr500 narrow fronts. I'd love to know the different products that these companies made.
What would these companies do with all their tools and shops? Auctions? Going out of business sales?

The people I know made frames are JP, Lonestar, Roll design, Laeger, Arens, Walsh, Houser, RPM, EEE enterprises, Frontline performance, PRP, Tigor racing. Which was REALLY the best?

More insights welcome.

jimanold22
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
800 screws,Yes the one in Indianapolis.I believe I spoke with you on ebay about it.I picked it up 2 weeks ago.It's been abused and and the $ was more than I wanted to pay.I did end up getting the seller to knock off $400 for the condition of the bike.WHat do u do?I mean it's not like there's a whole bunch of these around.I myself am a lt fan plus I like to different than the norm I guess.So overall i'm pretty happy with it.

CorvetteZ06
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Neil, I knew about JP being bought out by lonestar and the fourstoke thing definetly dried up the market for a lot of 250R aftermarkets BUT I'm wondering what happened to all their products. I can only assume that there were a ton of JP frames and RPM frames and whoever else making frames and parts, has anybody ever seen them, are they still kicking around in somebodies garage? What about the evolution of their products - example Lonestar frames are now better than they used to be. Laeger started out with stock replacement and then developed cr500 narrow fronts. I'd love to know the different products that these companies made.
What would these companies do with all their tools and shops? Auctions? Going out of business sales?

The people I know made frames are JP, Lonestar, Roll design, Laeger, Arens, Walsh, Houser, RPM, EEE enterprises, Frontline performance, PRP, Tigor racing. Which was REALLY the best?

More insights welcome.

great question, somebody must know?

Scott-300ex
02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeh I got the old mags. One with an ATK on the cover, 4-stroke.

And all those companies that advertised in the mags, they're prolly still out there, just don't or can't advertise in them like they used to cuz everyone went to 4 jokes.

800screws
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jimanold22
800 screws,Yes the one in Indianapolis.I believe I spoke with you on ebay about it.I picked it up 2 weeks ago.It's been abused and and the $ was more than I wanted to pay.I did end up getting the seller to knock off $400 for the condition of the bike.WHat do u do?I mean it's not like there's a whole bunch of these around.I myself am a lt fan plus I like to different than the norm I guess.So overall i'm pretty happy with it.

u have to, i mean, have to post when u are done restoring it! i love lt's! it would be a whole lot sweeter if u stuffed a lt500r engine in there though....
my email is bdzierzek@hvc.rr.com
keep me updated with pics. like to see how it's going. how's the engine? does it need to be rebuilt too? any porting or mods to it?
got any more pics of it now? the ones on ebay weren't too revealing...

TWILES
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I have DirtWheels from 1992. I was showing my wife some of the older, handbuilt bikes. She didn't believe that it used to be that way. I never saw a JP Outlaw Quadracer except in the one where they had a 250 and 500. Triple EEE was gone before I started racing in 98. JP stuff was still floating around then. I did see a few ProTrax Banshee's. Doug Eichner's MX Banshee came up for sale 2 days after I paid $6000 for a new one. They only wanted $9000. Unlike some people who apparently liked the fact that they obviously had $20,000 to spend on a 250R, I'm glad you don't have to basically buy a junker and keep the motor. The Production rule made it more fair. Maybe not in Pro but along the way it's cheaper. I mean the dude with all the money in C class might have the $5000 motor but if he could actually ride the motor, he wouldn't be in C class.

800screws
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
that's the issue i have. man, those outlaw lt's were a suzuki fan's dream.

jimanold22
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I will definately post some pic's,Right now the bike is still together.Trying to get it tuned.Motor seems ok,but i'll go through it before it's over i'm sure.I need to find someone qualified to replace the lower frame rails.Bike's been cased a few too many time's.I'm not sure if the frames chromemoly or mild steel.Still learning about it.Once I get all my idea's and suppliers straight,I'm gonna tear it down.As far as the motor goes supposable it's ported,but there's no engravings.It's got a 36mm pwk and as you know from the auction a paul turner pipe,the silencer is someones modified awnser silencer from back in the day.As you know only paul turner LT silencers work with there pipe's.I thought about the 500 swap as well as other frame mods.Not sure if I wanna modify the frame considering it's kinda of a collectable.What's your thoughts on that?Another thing I noticed is the the front motor mount plates have been cut and rewelded.I guess the frame wasn't a perfect fit.Although that's still a problem with todays frames.

800screws
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
it's probably going to be alot of work to get a 500 engine in there, that's for sure. i mean hybrid pipes are already made for the lt250r frame as well as motor mounts. i would get the engine really ripped though...dr.q or duncan racing national kit for sure. dr.q has lt250r pipes and a 270 worked motor almost ready to go. i might wait for that to come out. u gotta do something with the engine to seperate it from trx's, otherwise that's pretty much what it is...

pm'd u also...

trx250r180
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
i had a 92 jp suzuki i built new in 92 ,it was frame #008 in ser #on top of shock tower,i sold on ebay after i switched to honda,i think it ended in new york,may be the frame being talked about here,if i remember doug ichner had #001 frame and kory ellis had one of the first 5 built,they never handled as good as the honda so didnt sell many,and John Perry and his Brother Jeff started jp racing company in oregon ,then moved to az,then sold part of company to lonestar and other part to rpm,i think lonestar got the frame a-arm type stuff and rpm the axle stuff,i had a one off jp cr250 quad that was raced in mickeys back in early 90s,one of first if not the first aftermarket framed hybrid quad,i saw the cr bike for sale on seattle craigslist recently,the thing made good power but made your arms numb from vibration,bike prob be collecter by now

jimanold22
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I just checked my Jp framed Suzuki and it's 002 so I'm guessing I've got the 2nd one built?I wonder how many were made.

So doug eichner had the first one?Wow don't remember him being on suzuki's.I correspound with a guy that has one of Eichners Laeger banshee's.You may know him.He's in oregon.

Any of you guys remember Derrick Hamiltons custom framed Lt 250? The front a-arms were closer than a laegers narrow.It was just one tube verses 2 separating the a-arms on the bottom.

trx250r180
02-28-2007, 08:35 AM
doug only raced a few mickeys on the suzuki,he was working for jp racing and john put him on for r&d the suzuki,doug went back to honda,the rear suspention angles were off in my opinion,i converted mine to honda stock linkage to get back to sit lower than the no link,i was talking to mark leager years ago,i guess he built the first jp frames,and they just took a honda no link shock ,let it flop forward and where it landed is where the upper shock mount ended up,was way wrong angle,and made rear it way to high,on derrick hammiltons suzuki ,that bike jumped killer,like a stadium truck,was a stock 91 suzuki quadracer with a new front frame section,was built by jim putnam,i think 3 total were ever built ,he was a factory suzuki quadracer rider with gary denton back in 85,jim putnam and jimmy white factory kawi rider on 3 wheeler are still involved in stadium stufff last i remember,i havent raced one since 99 or 2000,kory ellis won his first major mickey thompson event on a jp suzuki at age 16,the leager cr500 link was way better quadracer chassis but sat pretty high,i think derick hamiltons bike was the best aftermarket chassis for suzuki

FUELATV
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
When i worked at Alba i used to ride Eichners ProTrax banshee everyday around the parking lot. The owner of alba ended up with it. I think he sold it a couple years ago. The guy who used to design and build Triple E's ATV products is still in the industry and he designs suspension for a major Suspension manufacture.

SWIGIN
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
i ended up with Travis Spaders front end on my bike.

not sure what year he used it but it was when Burgard cycle was his sponsor.

a lot of old pro bikes i would say are parted out or sitting in a corner some ware.

CorvetteZ06
02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
swigin, i love the cut on your front plastics :cool:

rebelbanshee
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a JP 250Rframe from 91 number is 0007. Came from Bob Sloans practice bike.

Heres the engraving on the bottom of the jug, same kinda thing is on the shocks too
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/rebelbanshee/PaulTurner001.jpg

jimanold22
02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Fuel Atv,The guy i correspound with in oregon that has one of doug eichners laeger banshee's.He bought his from Alba's so U probably used to ride his bike.lol.Small world!

So there were 3 of derrick hamiltons frame's?I would defiantely love to have one of those!

jimanold22
02-28-2007, 08:04 PM
TrxR180 your the first guy I've met that remembers Derrick hamilton and his LT.I still have back issue's with him at my mom's house in fl that i haven't seen in year's.

trx250r180
02-28-2007, 09:50 PM
TrxR180 your the first guy I've met that remembers Derrick hamilton and his LT.I still have back issue's with him at my mom's house in fl that i haven't seen in year's.

thats because im old enough to have raced back in early 90s(im 38) now and semi retired,bad crash last year slowed me down,i still have a leager 250r i ride still,back in the 90s was lot of good riders,i have every atv mag since about 1990,prob be colectors someday ,how bout Roger Helsley,he was a fast suzuki rider on the first ever leager suzuki,that bike actually had tie rods out in front of a-arms but later went with normal setup,if you have any of the old huevos vids,i am in a few of oregon dunes scenes on my leager 250r,got to ride with dana creech before anyone knew who he was,was a fun weekend filming,if ever get a chance to hang with wes miller he will show you a good time,here link to some pisc from that weekend

http://www.sandwizards.com/Pages/HuevosIII/HuevosIII.htm

CorvetteZ06
03-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by trx250r180
thats because im old enough to have raced back in early 90s(im 38) now and semi retired,bad crash last year slowed me down,i still have a leager 250r i ride still,back in the 90s was lot of good riders,i have every atv mag since about 1990,prob be colectors someday ,how bout Roger Helsley,he was a fast suzuki rider on the first ever leager suzuki,that bike actually had tie rods out in front of a-arms but later went with normal setup,if you have any of the old huevos vids,i am in a few of oregon dunes scenes on my leager 250r,got to ride with dana creech before anyone knew who he was,was a fun weekend filming,if ever get a chance to hang with wes miller he will show you a good time,here link to some pisc from that weekend

http://www.sandwizards.com/Pages/HuevosIII/HuevosIII.htm

wow, great pics man, its real good to see those 250R's !

greenman
03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
almost all of those quads that are talked about were built for the mickeys from what i rememberd even the protrax front end. Hey trx250r180 how did you like them $200.00 entry fees for the mteg

trx250r180
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
mickeys were usually a $500 weekend after travel fuel,room but only did 1 or 2 times a year when in northwest so wasnt too bad,its worth it to meet all the fast guys,got to pitt next to mark eirhardt,one yearwish the seattle kingdome was still there those were good times racing,pretty cool to get a chance in a heat race to line up with tim farr ,and all the guys from back east

my88r
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
I have a JP 250Rframe from 91 number is 0007. Came from Bob Sloans practice bike.

Heres the engraving on the bottom of the jug, same kinda thing is on the shocks too
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/rebelbanshee/PaulTurner001.jpg \
do you have pics of the frame and the other sloans stuff you would love to see picturs

jason86PRP250r
03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by SWIGIN
i ended up with Travis Spaders front end on my bike.

not sure what year he used it but it was when Burgard cycle was his sponsor.

a lot of old pro bikes i would say are parted out or sitting in a corner some ware.

thats me and my brothers 350rx.

80% of the parts are mine from a 88 250r i had that had a biult 200x motor in it. it was biult in 88. the guy used to race the Pro 200 class on a 85 200x. it had a dual plug motor.

that is a long travel front end from travis spaders 1998 season bike

i have the very 1st prototype Porter Race Products 250r frame. it was the one they ran in 2000 for testing to see how they were going to biuld the real ones. it was just primered gray while they ran it and when i bought it for $600. they chacnged some stuff with the production ones they made after that so mines a one of a kind. i changed the grab bar setup on the rear removable sub frame since they made it like a 400ex. my buddy made it so it could use 89 250r grab bar.

FUELATV
03-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Fuel Atv,The guy i correspound with in oregon that has one of doug eichners laeger banshee's.He bought his from Alba's so U probably used to ride his bike.lol.Small world!

yes small world ..... tha tis the bike forsure. i would have bought it if i new the owner of Alba was selling it. That is the best all around bike ever made IMO.Laeger protax chassis with a built banshee engine ...... WOW ..... what a combo.

rebelbanshee
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
here is a shot of the stamping on the frame, the shocks are out getting rebuilt so i cant get any shots of them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/rebelbanshee/framenumber002.jpg

my88r
08-07-2007, 06:46 PM