PDA

View Full Version : will extended wheelies cause engine harm?

mchepp2
02-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I love riding wheelies if on a straight highway I could ride one out in 5th for miles. But, I got to thinking the other day, when i stood my 450 up on end to wash it, I noticed all the oil runs to the back of the engine and the pump is on the front. Does anyone know if the pump is able to pick up oil correctly during a wheelie? If not It's sure to cause damage. :confused:

CDCHONDAS
02-26-2007, 06:05 AM
well the guys on crotchrockets blow up engines from riding mile+ wheelies, engine cant suck up no oil.

400exrider707
02-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
well the guys on crotchrockets blow up engines from riding mile+ wheelies, engine cant suck up no oil.

I dont see how, the oil pump is usually located near the bottom of the engine. As long as oil is getting to the pump, how can there not be oil getting all around???

lumi
02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
the 06 in my knowledge has a lower oil pump and a bit further back...

the pump is actually near the back of the case. but can get starved for oil.... as i havent see it yet and as long as ur not doing a 12 oclock in 5 th GEAR!!! down a road for miles than u'll be good.. but keep the wheelies to a mile limit.

-lumi

CDCHONDAS
02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
this isnt going to happen to everything but when your machine is setting flat on the ground the oil pump is on the bottom of the engine covered in oil. stand the machine on the grab bar and see where the pump is, its now halfways up the engine, since pumps are sump fed it could reasonably be out of oil since the oil ran to what is now the bottom. a couple seconds here and there aint gonna hurt but what would happen after a minute or two isnt going to be positive on the life of your engine if it sucks dry. also consider the path of oil in the head and how it drains.

so basically if no oil gets to the pump, no oil gets all around.

different models would be different and some might not even run out

allstock
02-26-2007, 01:20 PM
where i ride a guy blew his motor on his 05 450r by wheeling down the entire main road on it

mchepp2
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
well they are not straight up but I am at the balance point and in 5th around half throttle, this was not an issue on my 400ex but, I'm still interested in whether or not the oil pump is picking up oil at this angle. I have yet to peek inside this machine if anyone has had the cases apart and knows the position of the oil pump intake I'd like to hear about it.

SWIGIN
02-26-2007, 01:32 PM
think about it...unless your balance point is real high its no different then climbing a steep hill

in fact a steep hill is worse since you are normally on the gas real hard

mchepp2
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
well, if i climbed steep hills over a mile high then i might be worried about that too. I don't think a few seconds will hurt anything but several minutes with no oil will. I just want to know if oil is getting to the pump or not during an almost vertical wheelie.