PDA

View Full Version : A quick, maybe stupid, question...

rYan01400EX
02-25-2007, 08:55 PM
This may sound stupid but I want to try it. I want to try to build my own A-Arms.. Granted they might not be the best but I'd like to just see if I can do it.... I am a good welder and trust my work... I want to try to make +2 Standard Travel A-Arms... Almost a replica of the stock arms just 2 inches longer.. I figure if I measure up everything, pay close attention to tiny details and give it my best shot that it can be done. They may not be the best but it'd be neat to try.. Anyone ever tried it? Yea, I know, flame on.. I just think it'd be kinda cool... I'll probably never run them if it was to ever happen but I do think I can do it. I've got TONS of spare tubing and stuff at the welding shop at school.. I also have a bender and plasma cutter.. So tell me, can it be done?

jbm0121
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
if you have the right tools to complete the job then its fine

just measure 50 times and finalize it 1 time

make them beefy to hold up and whats the worst that can happen? you put the stockers back on

Unverfehrt400ex
02-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds pretty kewl. If you have all the supplies its well worth a shot. Wont hurt to try. Shouldnt be real bad except maby getting the bearings to all fit in there just right.

rYan01400EX
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Yea, I thought so too.. I've got a vertical mill and everything at school. So, all the tools are there... I just need to go wrangle up some of the tubing at school and sections of flat stock for the shock mounts.. Anyone got any measurements? Or any tips on what to measure...

I think it'd be sweet if it worked.. and yea, if it comes down to it, I'll put stockers back on... it'd be bad*** bragging rights though if it worked... haha.

northwest Texas
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
The hardest part is getting them to match on each side. You need to make a jig that fits the stock ones and figure out how to make the jig for the longer arms. That is what will be the hardest part, I think. Everything has to be perfect.

If you have the tools and the time, I guess it would be worth a shot, just to prove you can. Otherwise I can't see any practical reason to do it.

rYan01400EX
02-25-2007, 09:41 PM
It would shave off about 300 bucks on the price if I could do it myself.. I'll run everything past a buddy of mine who'll help. He's a full time machinist so I figure we could rattle up something... If I could do it, it'd be a great amount of savings for me since the bank account doesn't exactly go sky high.

scruff_mcruff
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
even if you can halfass weld you can make them.i built a set of LT arms using the stock arms and adding some tubing. then on my girls i just cut the ball joint off and added 2in of tubing to the ends and gusseted them and havent had a single problem for about 8 months. the biggest jumps theyve hit is about 70ft so we arent just putting around with them. and this week at work ill start making a carrier housing to start work on the first extended swingarm.

rYan01400EX
02-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Sweet, got any pics of those A-Arms?