PDA

View Full Version : How can I achieve more air intake?

02silverpile
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
All, is their a difference in the volume of air if I dont run an airbox lid vs. now airbox at all? Or how about I dont run the lid, and install bullseyes in the side of the box. I was just looking and the only place the air comes in is the little bit below the seat, because the sides are blocked and I have my hole plugged where the stock snorkel went. Im thinking about adding holes and unplugging the snorkel area and installing a prefilter type material. Or hwo about a forced air type of setup? So that its breathable but yet water proof. But before I go through all of this trouble, I didnt know if I would benifit anything from this.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-25-2007, 08:18 PM
You'll see better throttle response, it will mostly benefit you in mid-top end.

YFZ450Ridr
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
youll see more than just mid-top end power^^

the setup i like most is to just get rid of the air box lid and buy a high flow air filter (uni, twin air, no toil, k&N ect.) and then a prefilter or outerwear, which are the same thing, for the filter or top of the air box. then rejet the carb accordingly. youll see a nice increase in all around throttle response and overall power. seems to rev a little faster also.

this setup is really nice and little to no water reaches the airbox unless you treat your quad like a submarine. ive run this on my old z400, my dads z400, 2 of my buddies with 450rs and now on my yfz. great setup and cheap power.

quader400
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
you will feel a diffrence. you should buy a kandn outwears and like cut it up to use as you need for like the snorkle spot. just a thought

DF400ex
02-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I have those vents in the top of my lid and still run the snorkel with no problems. I have taken it through some pretty deep pudles b4 with little to no water getting in to the airbox, but I wouldn't run with out a lid because I do ride in wet areas sometimes.

02silverpile
02-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, im thinking I will put prefilter material in the holes I make, and install like some small 1" 45 degree pvc elbows so it pulls air in from around the plastics.

02silverpile
03-03-2007, 10:23 PM
no new ideas huh?