PDA

View Full Version : 1982 chevrolet diesel value

redneckracer07
02-25-2007, 04:38 PM
The engine was said to be running and is supposed to have a recently rebuilt injection pump. It its out of a truck which we bought for the cab. just wondering what I should look to get out of it.thanks
dan

underpowered
02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
the old 6.2 chevy diesels were not that popular of a motor. i would not expect much out of it, simply not much of a demand for them. maybe a few hundred dollars, but it really depends on if you can find a buyer and how bad they want/need it.

PSYCLONE
02-26-2007, 01:38 PM
There's an entire website devoted to these, but the name escapes me. While not as well known as other diesels, they do have their fans and people making some decent power out of them.

TheFontMaster
02-26-2007, 02:35 PM
One of my friends is big into the 6.2/6.5turbo diesels, and he knows a company that works with specificaly those motors. Hes actually looking at an 80's pickup with a running 6.2 to swap into another one of his trucks, and turbo it. Most of the body on that truck is shot, but he's buying it for 400 dollars. If you found one in good running order and an OK body on it I would say you would be looking to spend anywhere between 1-2000 dollars for it. Even though those motors aren't really popular its still a diesel, and they tend to hold their retail value more than a gas truck.

If you do end up getting a truck with a 6.2, or 6.5 turbo, the first thing you should do is put on a stronger aftermarket counterbalancer. The stock ones have a have a habit of cracking, and chances are you won't know there is a problem with it until your bottom end drops down through the oil pan.

And just for the record the 6.5 is the same as the 6.2, but with different heads to increase displacement, and I belive most if not all the 6.5's came from the factory turboed. The wiring harneses are also the same, but with one small difference, I don't remember what but I think it had to do with the glow plugs, or injectors.

TheFontMaster
02-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Here's the site.

www.ssdieselsupply.com/