PDA

View Full Version : Chain slack ?

JDMThoughts
02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I just installed new sprockets and chain due to a few teeth broke off the rear last weekend during a ride. The chain slack was awful so I went ahead and geared the quad back down from the previous owner's 16/38. I am now back to a 15/38 using Sunstar sprockets and a new D.I.D. ATV O-Ring chain. I got everything back into order and adjusted the axle to get the tension and slack I desired. Which turned out to be 1 3/16" Which is a little tighter than the manual wanted but was looser than the manufacturer's suggested of 1 1/8". I rode around and took it easy and then went to my regular spot and rode a lot no problems. I am going to give a friend a lift back to his house on the back since it began to hail and halfway home the chain threw itself off again. No messed up teeth or anything but I was surprised. I just checked it again and everything seems alright. I am just unsure of what I should go and do now. I don't wanna buy another chain if I messed this up. I am wondering if I forgot a step or something. Also, I left the wax on and did not apply any chain lube. I have a fresh can of chain lube and was wondering should I apply it before my next ride to get a nice coat on it. Thanks for the help guys.

"THE ShoP"
02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
the grease on your chain out of the box is good till it starts to where off. an the best way to adjust your chain is to sit on the bike an make it so it only has about a half an inch of slack in it

Unverfehrt400ex
02-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Maby it just got too tight since there were two people sitting on the quad. The more weight on it the tighter the chain will get.