PDA

View Full Version : best shocks for my style

400exridin121
02-25-2007, 12:16 PM
What do you all think would be good suspension for alot of ramping and stuff that isnt alot of money? 450R fronts and a rear rebuild?

smoothie
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
a lot of ramping? jumping maybe? lol sorry jk just had to though haha. but any way how big are you "ramping" distance, hieght? sounds like you would be just fine with getting your shocks rebuilt/valved. or even go with the 450R shocks and do the same to those.

EDIT: also be prepared to spend about 700 bucks or so on getting all three of your shocks rebuilt.

400exridin121
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
lol yea id say like large jumps like 30ft tabletops

smoothie
02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
does your rear shock have a rezzie on it? sorry I'm not too familiar with 400 ex's. Just my opinion/idea, I would get some 450R fronts, get them revalved and sprung and stick those on there. then get yourself a nice aftermarket rear shock with a rezzie on it and set to your weight and everything. if you get it through GT thunder or get them to rebuild it for you they can also make you a rear link for it which will lower the quad a tad and lengthen the travel of the rear end.

that is if you are on a tight budget, other wise just get a whole new setup and be done with it. if you do that, don't skimp on brands as some may be cheaper but last a way shorter amount of time. I can't recommend any brands to you as I have never bought a set of aftermarket shocks or anything like that but I would highly suggest you do a lot of research.

MXracer16
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 400exridin121
lol yea id say like large jumps like 30ft tabletops

The best shocks would have to be your stockers. 30ft isnt much, the stockers could handle it easily. If you really want to, just get some 450r fronts.

smoothie
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
ya i guess 30ft isn't all that big but it's a large jump for a stock machine. that is surprising to hear that stock ex shocks could easily handle that..... I would have never thought so.

KB Motorsports
03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
If you want a lot of bang for the buck I would suggest sending your shocks off to TCS Racing, and getting them revalved for your specs.

IMSROLL450R
03-02-2007, 08:36 AM
j-hracing.com...........they revalve and respring way cheaper than anywhere that I know of I just got new springs only put on my axis fronts for 100 bucks total!!!!!!!!!

400exridin121
03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
thanks guys ill probly send them to get revalved and yes the rear has a rezzie on it

bwamos
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
A spring swap is a lot cheaper than a revalve. ;) A lot less labor involved.

smoothie
03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
j-hracing.com...........they revalve and respring way cheaper than anywhere that I know of I just got new springs only put on my axis fronts for 100 bucks total!!!!!!!!!

that is REALLY cheap... how is the quality of their work and parts?

mephyst
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I've jumped my 400ex a lot further than 30ft on my stockers.. Hahah.

oldskoolex400
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
ya i guess 30ft isn't all that big but it's a large jump for a stock machine. that is surprising to hear that stock ex shocks could easily handle that..... I would have never thought so.

around 5 years ago when my 400 had stock suspension i was hitting 50-60 foot FLAT landings, its not that the machine wont do it, its that you wont do it after a few times, starts hurting after awhile with those front "pogo" shocks, i would suggest getting 450r revalves and 400ex rear shock revalve, there is nothing wrong with the stock rear shock revalved.........

mat1977
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
My 2 cents, I've done some research on this topic lately, and right now I ONLY go bout 40' myself and it sounds like the 450's are more than fine.Like someone else wrote the stocks can handle the impact but the 450 fronts will handle it better.Maybe I should have replied "30'? thats nothing,I go 175' allday!"Those type of replies really help alot dont they?:D

03-03-2007, 12:14 AM
The TCS rear is very good.

For the cheep fronts if your looking for the best cheep shocks that resist bottoming go for the "yfz450 front shocks". Get the 2004-2005 fronts. they lower the ride hight all the way down to 6" if wanted and can be set so stiff that if you pick the front end up and drop it it will "CLONK" from the shocks being so stiff. They handle big jumps so much better than 450r. But do not revalve if your planing on revalving just go with elkas right away because the defferant shocks plus the revalve is going to cost as much as the elkas which would be overall better.

03-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by mephyst
I've jumped my 400ex a lot further than 30ft on my stockers.. Hahah.

me to I jumped 70ft on the stockers at 20ft of air and landing want to bad except for the bent ball joints. Basicaly yo ucan jump as high and far as you want but the landing has to be good. If the landing isnt steap or you cant land perfect thats when you need better shocks.

oldskoolex400
03-03-2007, 09:32 AM
My 2 cents, I've done some research on this topic lately, and right now I ONLY go bout 40' myself and it sounds like the 450's are more than fine.Like someone else wrote the stocks can handle the impact but the 450 fronts will handle it better.Maybe I should have replied "30'? thats nothing,I go 175' allday!"Those type of replies really help alot dont they?

it sure does help alot(no use in adding to the jackass comments made on here bro), it lets you know the 400ex shocks will handle it, personally i would never run 450r shocks on a bike they werent supposed to be on, i try not to nig... my bike up, now if you get them revalved i guess they are alot better but by the time you spend the money on that you can get a set of used axis or TCS front shocks. even if they arent setup for your weight wait a month before you put them on and send them in to get revalved and resprung. then when it comes time to sell them they are actually worth a decent amount of money, i have seen a few sets of 450 revalves on ebay and they go for the same price as a stock set.......